Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto VS Vancouver VS Montreal:For a TOURIST,which is the best place?More to to?
Toronto 15 20.27%
Vancouver 13 17.57%
Montreal 36 48.65%
All equally impressive 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

So basically Toronto is just a meeting place, people don't go there much as the main reason to see the city, but instead go for Sports games, concerts, ubiquitous shopping, people coming from Cleveland and Buffalo, and conventions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So basically Toronto is just a meeting place, people don't go there much as the main reason to see the city, but instead go for Sports games, concerts, ubiquitous shopping, people coming from Cleveland and Buffalo, and conventions?
In 2011 - 1.6 million O/N visitors came to Toronto for Business and 2.8 million came for Leisure - the rest of the 10 million International visitors came to visit friend/family and of course they partook in touristic endeavour as in any city which attracts visitors coming to see family and friends. As for ubiquitous shopping you are showing your ignorance of the place because Queen St West, Kensington Market and St Lawrence Markets are not ubiquitous shopping experiences.

A visit to the ROM or AGO or some other local Museums and seeing local theatre productions (like a Buddies in Bad Times theatre production) is also not a ubiquitous experience.. going to the distillery district or seeing Toronto's unique residential nabe's are not ubiquitous. Catching the Toronto Symphony Orchestra or seeing a performance of opera or ballet at the Four Seasons Centre of the performing arts by the Canadian Opera company is not a ubiquitous experience.

I like elements of Montreal over Toronto of course (They have the Just for laughs festival we don't - we have Caribana and they don't) but at the same time there are attractions and elements in Toronto not found in Montreal...

Latest reports for Toronto is that it is attracting more visitors from NYC and California who are flying into the city seeing it as an urban destination.

I'm not detracting from Montreal or Vancouver but what is this constant desire to counter the Toronto 'Boosterism' with An Anti-Toronto campaign lol... If you are more enamoured with Montreal because it will give you a more unique experience than by all means go - its a great choice! I don't limit my personal visits to the U.S just to NYC.....even though I think it offers more than other places.. I will also check out NOLA, S.F, Seattle etc etc and i'm not going to look for reasons to smash them lol.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-15-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So if one goes to Orlando for Disneyland but not too see the city... that makes Orlando a meeting place?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:39 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I think Toronto would have more to offer overall, but Montreal would offer the most unique experience. So it really depends what you hope to get out of the trip.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think Toronto would have more to offer overall, but Montreal would offer the most unique experience. So it really depends what you hope to get out of the trip.
Agreed. Montreal would be the most unique experience for a tourist as there is virtually no other city like it in North America.

Toronto though offers the "total package" from an overall point of view.

It just depends on what your interests are. I prefer the "total package", but you can't go wrong with either city.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Agreed. Montreal would be the most unique experience for a tourist as there is virtually no other city like it in North America.

Toronto though offers the "total package" from an overall point of view.

It just depends on what your interests are. I prefer the "total package", but you can't go wrong with either city.
Having said that - I think this whole unique experience thing is entirely played up like those who contend that Toronto plays up its diversity.

If you want a unique experience as typical American or Canadian go to Havana, Mexico City, or countless cities in Europe, South America, Africa or Asia.. Heck Marrakech, Siem Reap, Ho Chi Man city and Timbuktu offer more UNIQUE experiences for any North American than Montreal lol.

It leads me to question - how much do Americans really want a 'unique' experience and travel for that. The one's who do want a unique experience are flying to all kinds of places with unique experiences.. They have the money and more importantly the desire to do so. There are however, a large contingent that travel to places that offer something a lil different but are also familiar and similar. It is 'safe' ground for them and they are happy to go to these places which are 'different' light but where they don't feel outside their comfort zone. For them, London is probably as unique as they want to get.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-15-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
ahh fusion, there we go... some actual specific attractions. The ones you listed are definitely worth a visit, and city specific. I mostly had an issue with the fairly non descript places that were mentioned earlier that can really be found in any large city for the most part. If I am in Chicago, having pro sports is not impressive to see, I want to see things that are different.

mrjun18... for sure, barely anybody is going to Orlando to see the actual city itself. I know people definitely do go to Toronto to see just Toronto, I know I did when I went.

Again, I know Toronto has these things but the laundry list of stuff that are basic descriptions of every large city over 5 million people in N.A. arent goign to get tourists flocknig there. Quality and uniqueness is generally what counts for tourists. That is why SF I think best Chicago and LA (for a tourist) but can be different for other things. Small cities like New Orleans can also compete in this arena.

Living in a place is another story, then the laundry lists start to count more.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,614 times
I chose "All equally impressive".

Each city has it's own strong points, very hard to decide which one is better.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Having said that - I think this whole unique experience thing is entirely played up like those who contend that Toronto plays up its diversity.

If you want a unique experience as typical American or Canadian go to Havana, Mexico City, or countless cities in Europe, South America, Africa or Asia.. Heck Marrakech, Siem Reap, Ho Chi Man city and Timbuktu offer more UNIQUE experiences for any North American than Montreal lol.

It leads me to question - how much do Americans really want a 'unique' experience and travel for that. The one's who do want a unique experience are flying to all kinds of places with unique experiences.. They have the money and more importantly the desire to do so. There are however, a large contingent that travel to places that offer something a lil different but are also familiar and similar. It is 'safe' ground for them and they are happy to go to these places which are 'different' light but where they don't feel outside their comfort zone. For them, London is probably as unique as they want to get.
Unique cities IMO:
San Francisco
Montreal
New Orleans
Savannah GA
Santa Fe
Los Angeles(yes I believe it is)
Washington D.C.
NYC
Boston
San Antonio
Miami
Las Vegas
Saint Augustine ,Florida
Key West
Charleston

Old 09-15-2013, 07:59 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Toronto is rapidly becoming Canada's answer to Detroit. Not good. Stay away. Violent.
This is totally preposterous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City