Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Silicon Valley 10 33.33%
DC 5 16.67%
Toronto 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,622 times

Advertisements

Best youth education:
Best University Education:
Lowest Crime:
Best suburbs (Nicest looking houses):
Lowest cost of living:
Nicest downtown (Best buildings, landmarks):
Best restaurants:
Best parks and nature:
Most driver friendly:

I am planning on raising a family and I want to know, based on this criteria, which would be the best. I am a software engineer, so I can work remotely work from wherever.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,146,996 times
Toronto BY FAR has the lowest crime, nice suburbs, great restaurants, and the nicest downtown (more skyscrapers than the other locales, plus, they are building even more now). DC and Toronto both have great colleges, but I think I'll give DC the edge. Both Toronto and DC also have great suburbs and schools for youth. I would give Silicon Valley the advantage in weather and nature, but Toronto and DC have nice scenery nearby as well (Toronto's lakefront beaches and DC is somewhat close to Deep Creek Lake, MD). DC has fabulous restaurants as well.

I would choose Toronto. Since it is the safest city here, and you have a family, that's reason alone to go there. DC is infested with crime; trust me, I've lived there. DC proper has a lot of bad schools, but the surrounding MD and VA suburbs have some good ones. However, DC and Silicon Valley are uber expensive, whereas Toronto is priced better, possibly because it has the worst weather out of all the places.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,592,455 times
Toronto

Lower murder rate/crime rate.

Healthcare coverage.

Geographic location, close to other major cities in NE US and Canada.

Even like the climate better, not as hot and humid as DC and has 4 seasons.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,435,761 times
I would Say Toronto, then Silicon Valley, the DC after that. Are those all the cities you have rounded it down to, or are you still open to other cities?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I would Say Toronto, then Silicon Valley, the DC after that. Are those all the cities you have rounded it down to, or are you still open to other cities?
I am open to other cities. It's just that these cities are the ones I have it narrowed down to. Others I am considering include boston (where I grew up), NYC (considering upstate NY and Connecticut, I don't know why but I hate New Jersey), Denver area (Including boulder), and Chicago area. Slightly considering Seattle. I love snow, which is the reason why I am not considering Seattle. The reason I am considering Silicon Valley is because my company has its HQ there, and I know the schools are good.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Seattle still gets snow, and there's the mountains too, which get even more snow. Think about it. As for NYC, don't know why you'd consider there. It's too crowded, in a rush, people are rude, high crime (although better than it once was) and uber-expensive. Boston has pretty much the same problems. And Denver lacks diversity.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Seattle still gets snow, and there's the mountains too, which get even more snow. Think about it. As for NYC, don't know why you'd consider there. It's too crowded, in a rush, people are rude, high crime (although better than it once was) and uber-expensive. Boston has pretty much the same problems. And Denver lacks diversity.
Seattle gets snow? I've heard it gets like 3 inches over the whole winter. I grew up in Boston and I am living there now. I don't want to live here anymore because I want to get a little farther away than a few towns away from my parents.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Yeah, Seattle and Portland both get snow. It won't be as much or last as long as back east because the winters are warmer, but you still get some. Plus, the mountains are nearby and they get a whole lot.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,045,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
I am open to other cities. It's just that these cities are the ones I have it narrowed down to. Others I am considering include boston (where I grew up), NYC (considering upstate NY and Connecticut, I don't know why but I hate New Jersey), Denver area (Including boulder), and Chicago area. Slightly considering Seattle. I love snow, which is the reason why I am not considering Seattle. The reason I am considering Silicon Valley is because my company has its HQ there, and I know the schools are good.

Silicon Valley is of course connected to San Francisco and all that Northern Cal has to offer. As far as snow, its available, but on weekends. Easy to make quick jaunts up in to the Sierras, Tahoe etc. That would be the starkest change for you if you are looking for something totally different than you are used to. All 3 cities are expensive, Bay Area probably being the most expensive, but possible the best paying as well. Bay Area would have the best year round weather by far and best universities with Stanford & Cal leading the way.

Best youth education: TIE, gotta believe its in the choosing in all 3.
Best University Education: Silicon Valley/Bay Area has the top rated schools.
Lowest Crime: Toronto, but depending on where you choose they'll all be good.
Best suburbs (Nicest looking houses): Silicon Valley, DC
Lowest cost of living: TO/DC
Nicest downtown (Best buildings, landmarks): San Francisco, but all 3 are good
Best restaurants: San Francisco/Silicon Valley
Best parks and nature: Silicon Valley, regional
Most driver friendly: Hmm, all have pretty good traffic

Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
probably dc area... it would be an awesome learning opportunity for kids to be around all the smithsonian museums and events. they would also be plugged in with things going on around the globe when it comes to current events.

Last edited by grapico; 09-16-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City