Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 13 cities has the best sports fans?
Seattle 5 5.49%
Denver 7 7.69%
Dallas 5 5.49%
Chicago 13 14.29%
Detroit 5 5.49%
Indianapolis 6 6.59%
Cincinnati 1 1.10%
Cleveland 3 3.30%
Pittsburgh 6 6.59%
Baltimore 1 1.10%
Philadelphia 12 13.19%
New York City 3 3.30%
Boston 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

I don't get why the Phillies are seen as having such die-hard supporters, their attendance dropped like a rock this year and has only been really good at Citizens Bank Park during seasons where they made the playoffs. Attendance at Veteran's stadium was nothing impressive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM

399 posts, read 882,215 times
So did the Cubs, but I wouldnt necessarily doubt the rabid support of Cubs fans. No team is immune to attendance issues, however, if the team is good and youre still not selling out, somethings wrong. Or for Boston's sake, a supposed "hockey town" yet couldnt sell out for the Bruins until they became Cup contenders. Celtics were the same. Patriots didnt get support til after they became a dynasty. The only true sports identity Boston has is the Red Sox, through thick and thin. Chicago has the Bears and Cubs. Philly has the Eagles and Flyers.

Best sports fans are not in Boston. Its either Chicago or Philadelphia.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't get why the Phillies are seen as having such die-hard supporters, their attendance dropped like a rock this year and has only been really good at Citizens Bank Park during seasons where they made the playoffs. Attendance at Veteran's stadium was nothing impressive either.

I think Philly always has been a really good baseball town. the Vet was just awful for baseball (football too). Baseball is definately and has been part of the fabric; even back as far as the A's

Also this year they are one of only 5 teams to draw 3+ Million thus far (although it looks like TX and LAA will also get just past 3 Million); not exactly spartan

Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Aren't the Rams dead last in attendance? Or close to it? I mean, I saw a sea of empty seats for the home opener.
Maybe, but the St. Louis Cardinals fan base alone obliterates all of most cities' major league sports fan bases combined. Seriously, it is really odd to have a poll talking about best sports cities with absolutely no mention of St. Louis. It is easily one of the most sports-crazed (esp. baseball) cities in the USA.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Chicago is another one. Bears, Blackhawks (although they were non-existant prior to 2009 due to their former owner), and Cubs.

You forgot the Bulls.

2012-2013 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

# 1 in NBA attendance since 2010

Aside from 2002, has been top 5 in attendance 2001-2009

Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
And this is coming from a Bay Area sports fan of all people?

Last season the Phillies had the best attendance of any team in baseball and the Phillies weren't even playoff contenders. Oakland on the other hand had a winning record and made the playoffs but was ranked only 27th in attendance. Philly fans support their teams even when they are not good, which is something that isn't as common with Bay Area sports teams.

2012 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Regular Season Standings | MLB.com: Standings

Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think Philly always has been a really good baseball town. the Vet was just awful for baseball (football too). Baseball is definately and has been part of the fabric; even back as far as the A's

Also this year they are one of only 5 teams to draw 3+ Million thus far (although it looks like TX and LAA will also get just past 3 Million); not exactly spartan
Attendance isn't the only way to measure which city has the best sports fans but it's one of the only quantifiable measurements and for that Philly isn't really that impressive at all I guess was my point. But like I said it goes beyond just attendance numbers into more subjective categories for which I can see how Philly would rank high.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Maybe, but the St. Louis Cardinals fan base alone obliterates all of most cities' major league sports fan bases combined. Seriously, it is really odd to have a poll talking about best sports cities with absolutely no mention of St. Louis. It is easily one of the most sports-crazed (esp. baseball) cities in the USA.
Well, you really can't be considered a great sports city if all you're supporting is baseball. If this was a poll about the greatest baseball cities then it would be a completely different story.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Let's not forget that The Phillies have the most losses of any team in sports history haha.

There definitely were some bandwagon fans after 2008 but baseball seems to have the most fickle attendance all around, maybe due to the nature of the game. The Red Sox might be the only exception. I believe The Phillies have some of the highest tv/radio rates and attendance on away games.

I would say that it's Philly and Chicago for best overall sports towns with Boston/NYC next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah agree though is a pretty good hoops town on the whole - just want a real NBA product which hasnt really existed in many years (well maybe a bit in 2011)

Philly is actually a decent soccer town and does well in some other sports (Track, Cycling, Rowing) as well.
Good post-don't forget Boxing with Philly.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
And this is coming from a Bay Area sports fan of all people?

Last season the Phillies had the best attendance of any team in baseball and the Phillies weren't even playoff contenders. Oakland on the other hand had a winning record and made the playoffs but was ranked only 27th in attendance. Philly fans support their teams even when they are not good, which is something that isn't as common with Bay Area sports teams.

2012 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Regular Season Standings | MLB.com: Standings
As much as I hate the Giants they actually still fill up their stadium when they are not good, which is more often than not. AT&T Park has never drawn less than 35K fans on average in a season, Citizens Bank Ballpark has twice. And if you look at Veterans Stadium you're attendance starts looking like the Oakland Coliseum and Candlestick more so. So I don't get this notion where you think Philies fans have always filled up their ballpark.

You sound like a Giants fans, a few years of the Phillies being the playoffs must have gave you amnesia too all of the years they have sucked. The Phillies "success" is about on par with the SF Giants, which to say is mediocre at best and kind of sad considering their is twice as much history. And both teams are below Oakland as far as success. Kind of funny how the most successful baseball team in Philly history resides in Oakland now lol.

Also if you take away the 5 WS titles the A's won in Philly, the Bay Area has 14 championships overall to 11 won in Philly among the 4 major sports FYI.

Not saying the Bay Area is a better sports city, just you seem a bit delusional is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City