Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,138,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Is hating on LA still a thing? It's so passé. But apparently it still is, according to this poll.
It will always be a hot thing. This is LA, the most polarizing city on the planet. I love it though, I welcome the hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
...just like I would imagine that many people here on CD have never even set foot in half of the cities they feel the need to chime in about.
I'm not always sure that's such a bad thing. I'm curious what others THINK about where I live or places I like, even if it's 100% subjective and 0% objective. It explains a lot, actually. For example, I GENERALLY find that people who haven't visited Minneapolis or Cleveland have fairly negative or neutral things to say about them, but those who have visited have a higher regard for both. I bet there are places that have the opposite reaction (high opinion at first, then after visiting find out it's over-hyped). Places that are "popular" may have very little reason for being so, other than word of mouth (I'm not suggesting that Seattle is that place per se, but I KNOW Detroit isn't necessarily the worst place in America, even if people think it is).

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Seattle can do no wrong these days! It's almost getting to the point where it's so highly rated/regarded that anyone who visits may be let down because it can't live up to the hype (like Austin).

Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Atlanta is high because in the real world not as many people compare about walkability/density/etc. It isn't the city/economy/etc that causes issues on CD, it's the layout.
Plus in the real world the level of Northeastern elitism that exists on here is not so much of a factor, either.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Seriously, where are the other cities though??

Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,773,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Seattle can do no wrong these days! It's almost getting to the point where it's so highly rated/regarded that anyone who visits may be let down because it can't live up to the hype (like Austin).
Eh... I think Seattle can live up to the hype better than Austin can. It's much more aesthetically pleasing (especially with the drought in Austin), better big-city amenities, better weather much of the year, and not so college-centric. Austin is one of the most overhyped/overrated cities in the US presently, IMO.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Add me to the opinion that it is more than likely that the the majority of the people polled have never been to the cities they voted for. Many of them formed their votes by what they read, saw or heard in the Media. It's certainly true of many posters here who freely offer advice regarding relocation about places to which they have never been but are merely parroting hearsay.

So I suspect this poll is no different, just larger.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Atlanta is high because in the real world not as many people compare about walkability/density/etc. It isn't the city/economy/etc that causes issues on CD, it's the layout.
Which is completely, 100 percent, absolutely, totally SHALLOW and STUPID!

Atlanta is what it is ... and what it is, is a BEAUTIFUL AMERICAN CITY! Who really gives a rats ass about density?!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,351,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
LA surprised me with only 33% Favorable and 40% unfavorable

Also Chicago surprised me, more on the unfavorable with 33% - it matched favorable % (42%) with my city but had more unfavorable - surprising to me - though the difference was less with an opinion for Philly
I have little doubt the Chicago hate is Obama-related.

What I don't get is why poor Detroit gets so much heat. Kick a city while it's down, why don't you?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I have little doubt the Chicago hate is Obama-related.

What I don't get is why poor Detroit gets so much heat. Kick a city while it's down, why don't you?
These two viewpoints don't go together at all dude ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City