Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city among the three?
Atlanta 20 32.79%
Miami 21 34.43%
Washington DC 24 39.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDF12 View Post
Ok, I just joined this forum through a google search and have to respond to this thread.

The link you posted is a total joke! LOL, @ Atlanta claiming to have good bagels and pizza. The only thing Atlanta is known for is the greased up chain restaurants like Bojangles, Moes's, Waffle House, Chick Fil A, casual chain restaurants everywhere and disgusting greased up soul food places that serve fried okra, fried chicken and mac N Cheese. Do not even get me started about the buffets everywhere and the natives with their big bellies. Please, Atlanta is not top 15 in America for food - might as well drink fried grease in a glass mixed with sweet tea.
Chick-Fil-A is greasy?News to me.As far as my travel have take me I see these resturants everywhere.I personally have NEVER beein to a "Bojangles" and cannot even tell where in the city there is one.Just don't see them that often.
As far as "bellies" everywhere Atlanta ranks as one of the top 25 fittest cities.What you say does not eve correlate to the many restaurants and chef's that are nationally recognized.

Obviously if they are "chain restaurants" then they are all over in many cities across the country and regions.
I also don't see many buffets because I actually like them from time to time.Only time I really see them are out in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Having recognized chefs does not make a city a top foodie city. Not everyone goes out to fine dine every night. Most of us aren't making 250k+ a year to afford that type of stuff. Most of us like to eat at normal restaurants and grub on authentic food. Atlanta lacks on those types of restaurants in comparison to cities above it's caliber like NYC, SF, NOLA, Chicago, LA, etc.

Atlanta never ranks high on any best food city lists. It's always nearly the same cities every year.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Chick-Fil-A is greasy?News to me.As far as my travel have take me I see these resturants everywhere.I personally have NEVER beein to a "Bojangles" and cannot even tell where in the city there is one.Just don't see them that often.
As far as "bellies" everywhere Atlanta ranks as one of the top 25 fittest cities.What you say does not eve correlate to the many restaurants and chef's that are nationally recognized.

Obviously if they are "chain restaurants" then they are all over in many cities across the country and regions.
I also don't see many buffets because I actually like them from time to time.Only time I really see them are out in the suburbs.
Learn to use a spacebar! I can't understand your gibberish, but will answer your first question. Chick Fil A is not greasy? You sure about it? They serve biscuits and fried chicken oozing grease and butter. My, my, my are we not the healthy eater.

I do not expect Atlanta to be a good food city! Why? They are not a diverse city and the entire six million metro area resembles a black and white NY style cookie. You do not have a Chinatown and do not even bother showing me a picture of a strip mall trying to pass it off as a Chinatown. Atlanta does not have ANY ethnic neighborhood for that matter. Therefore, I shall repeat - the only food Atlanta is known for is greased up soul food for southerners. The south part of the metro area is all black and the northern side is for the whites - split evenly just like a black and white cookie. The crums left over after eating it can represent the Hispanics and Asians.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Exactly...even in Midtown, most of the restaurant are chains...lol. In cities like NYC and SF, you find mom/pop places on almost every block...it's crazy. I can't wait to go to SF this winter. I've heard so many great things about the food there.
Some of my favorite .Midtown "mom and pop or local returants(non chain)
Papi's
Chow Bing
Antico
West Egg
LaPlaka Greek Restaurant
Murphy;s
NUEVO LAREDO CANTINA

Buckhead
Anise (French resturant)

If you have never been to at least half of these restaurants,then you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDF12 View Post
Learn to use a spacebar! I can't understand your gibberish, but will answer your first question. Chick Fil A is not greasy? You sure about it? They serve biscuits and fried chicken oozing grease and butter. My, my, my are we not the healthy eater.

I do not expect Atlanta to be a good food city! Why? They are not a diverse city and the entire six million metro area resembles a black and white NY style cookie. You do not have a Chinatown and do not even bother showing me a picture of a strip or ANY ethnic neighborhood for that matter. The south part of the metro area is all black and the northern side is for the whites - split evenly just like a black and white cookie. The crums left over after eating it can represent the Hispanics and Asians.
Im done w with you.Your obviously an ignorant troll.Should I s p a c e t h a t o u t f o r y o u ?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
He's right though. Atlanta doesn't have any cool, urban ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, Little Toky, or anything....It's crazy. Why did Atlanta have to plan it's layout so terribly....

Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
He's right though. Atlanta doesn't have any cool, urban ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, Little Toky, or anything....It's crazy. Why did Atlanta have to plan it's layout so terribly....
Do you not understand how those neighborhoods came about?they were not planned that way in other cities.People felt more comfortable among each other of their background. Thats why also a lot of cities like that are HEAVILY segregated.Try moving any any Little Italy or most Chinatowns and be black.See what kind of reception you would get.The only exception are those that are becoming gentrified as those ethnicities have and are beginning to move away.

The absence of those neighborhoods do not mean that the population is not represented.
Its not hard to find Ethiopian,Thai,Chinese(Hong Kong Style),Jamaican or any other types of food pretty much all around the city.I know this because many of these are friend of mine from those countries.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
There is nothing to be gained by these over the top theatrics in a food thread.

Can we just talk about the foods in these places, please?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
The reason Atlanta doesn't have those things is not because you can't find those foods in Atlanta, it's because international immigration into Atlanta in large numbers did not start happening until about 15 years ago. By that point, the days of developing ethnic enclaves were already dead.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This I will disagree with you on. That is definitely not true. Many cities have far more proportionate chain restaurants than others. Contrasting say, SF, which was mentioned with Atlanta and it's like night and day. SF has a virulent population that abhors and will outright protest chain places opening up and has laws on the books that stops them from being able to easily operate.

Also, isn't the suburbs part of the food scene there. You can't claim both Buford Highway, then ignore buffets in the suburbs, right?

Atlanta is definitely lacking in ethnic food choices compared to other top food cities, Atlanta has some good fine dining though, that is true.
However, most of this is American. Atlanta's cheaper specialty are "nouveau southern" "gastropub" "bbq" "brunch" "mexican" "tons of gourmet burger places" Trying to find gourmet "authentic" ethnic would be even harder. Most ethnic you need to leave the city for. They also seem to be clustered for some reason, I forget where, but I know one spot in the NE burbs that has about 4-5 ethiopian restaurants all right next to each other.

The pizza in Atlanta is not bad, but not great, I like Fellini's and Savage Pizza there.

Last edited by grapico; 09-27-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City