Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you prefer to play or vacation?
Los Angeles/Santa Monica 200 57.47%
Miami/Miami Beach 148 42.53%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times

Advertisements

LA football has a corrupt history. They won championships but bitter internal politics and owners ruined it. I'm hopeful for the Ram's return and its long overdue.

Let's just say LA was dealt a bad set of cards in the 1990s for the raiders between Al Davis and Raider's fans. Its in the past. Time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LA is a superior city to Miami in every possible way.
Nightlife Miami >> LA

Old 02-05-2016, 02:11 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
I live on that island, still love Brickell, Wynwood, Little Havana, Coconut Grove, and even Little Haiti (around the edges). If you feel that Miami is all about the Cruise Ship Terminal (?), and Miami Beach, you really haven't been here at all.

I'm from LA btw, I won't lie and say that there is nothing to do in LA. However, while LA has more to do than Miami, it has no neighborhood (actually a separate city) that packs a punch quite like Miami Beach.

If you live in Santa Monica, 90% of your time will be in Santa Monica. God knows as much as I do that the two main routes out of SaMo are Lincoln and the 10. Don't get me started on the traffic there.
Agree with this 100%. LA is really just a giant collection of neighborhoods. Where you go out is largely determined by what neighborhood you live in / are staying in. I really think people are answering based on their desire of where they want to live rather than to play/vacation (though personally I'd rather live in Miami).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
One is one-dimensional while the other is multi-dimensional. I think people get that neither city is an island....well Miami Beach is an island but it is part of the Miami metro area. And Santa Monica is part of the LA metro area.
What do you mean by "one-dimensional"? I'm probably going to disagree.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
LA football has a corrupt history. They won championships but bitter internal politics and owners ruined it. I'm hopeful for the Ram's return and its long overdue.

Let's just say LA was dealt a bad set of cards in the 1990s for the raiders between Al Davis and Raider's fans. Its in the past. Time to move on.
I wouldn't mind getting the Raiders back, but I don't think the NFL is going to lift a finger to help the Son-of-Al, and Kroenke would overcharge Davis on any kind of rent terms (because lets be real - Davis would be a renter). The chances of them coming back are oh-so-slim.

I was a 49er fan, but now I've converted to the Ramily. Especially now that Frontierre is long gone.

Granted the Dolphins have had more success than every single LA NFL franchise combined (perfect season + Mike Shula's Dolphins), but again, that was limited to the Shula years. Since then it's been absolute mediocrity.

I hope the Rams can get a QB in the draft because Nick Foles and Case Keenum aren't going to fly.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I wouldn't mind getting the Raiders back, but I don't think the NFL is going to lift a finger to help the Son-of-Al, and Kroenke would overcharge Davis on any kind of rent terms (because lets be real - Davis would be a renter). The chances of them coming back are oh-so-slim.

I was a 49er fan, but now I've converted to the Ramily. Especially now that Frontierre is long gone.

Granted the Dolphins have had more success than every single LA NFL franchise combined (perfect season + Mike Shula's Dolphins), but again, that was limited to the Shula years. Since then it's been absolute mediocrity.

I hope the Rams can get a QB in the draft because Nick Foles and Case Keenum aren't going to fly.

games in the coliseum are going to be so dope w/ the rams back. can't wait!!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
games in the coliseum are going to be so dope w/ the rams back. can't wait!!!!
I'm extremely excited! I already sent in my deposit for season tickets, and hope I'm still around LA in September to watch my new home team.

Man imagine how many drunk people are going to be in the parking lot sleeping in from the end of USC games to the beginning of Rams games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkKlzInR4Y

Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
And people said Angelenos wouldn't care much about bringing an NFL team back to the city. They were wrong. You guys seems pretty excited.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And people said Angelenos wouldn't care much about bringing an NFL team back to the city. They were wrong. You guys seems pretty excited.
Well, I'm 26. The Raiders and Rams left when I was 5 years old. For all intents and purposes, I didn't have a home NFL team growing up. I became a Niners fan because of family, but it felt kinda dirty to cheer for a long standing rival of the Rams. However, Frontierre left such an awful taste that it turned off lots of people from the NFL.

There's a reason why the Raiders still remained somewhat popular in LA while most people despised the Rams. Al Davis left LA under much better circumstances, but even the way he did Irwindale (IE take $10 million from them but never ended up doing anything there) and how easy it was to pick up and leave once Alameda County basically bribed him to come back, it seemed just as bad. Seriously, Al Davis left because he didn't want to share the proposed Hollywood Park stadium (where the Rams are building their stadium now) with another team. Yup.

The day Al Davis walked away - Los Angeles - NFL Blog- ESPN

However, the Raiders did win a SB here, unlike the "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" LA Rams. Even with that, the Raiders popularity here didn't translate to everyone, but became an extremely niche fanbase here. It's weird how people forget that they were only here for 12 years, like it flew over everyone's head. Most regular LA sports fans just stopped following the NFL.

There has been a generation of Angelenos who now have money but didn't grow up with an NFL team, such as myself. I'm a huge LA sports nerd, so of course I'm extremely excited.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:08 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
For a vacation, I lean towards Miami beach, water is warm and clear.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Well, I'm 26. The Raiders and Rams left when I was 5 years old. For all intents and purposes, I didn't have a home NFL team growing up. I became a Niners fan because of family, but it felt kinda dirty to cheer for a long standing rival of the Rams. However, Frontierre left such an awful taste that it turned off lots of people from the NFL.

There's a reason why the Raiders still remained somewhat popular in LA while most people despised the Rams. Al Davis left LA under much better circumstances, but even the way he did Irwindale (IE take $10 million from them but never ended up doing anything there) and how easy it was to pick up and leave once Alameda County basically bribed him to come back, it seemed just as bad. Seriously, Al Davis left because he didn't want to share the proposed Hollywood Park stadium (where the Rams are building their stadium now) with another team. Yup.

The day Al Davis walked away - Los Angeles - NFL Blog- ESPN

However, the Raiders did win a SB here, unlike the "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" LA Rams. Even with that, the Raiders popularity here didn't translate to everyone, but became an extremely niche fanbase here. It's weird how people forget that they were only here for 12 years, like it flew over everyone's head. Most regular LA sports fans just stopped following the NFL.

There has been a generation of Angelenos who now have money but didn't grow up with an NFL team, such as myself. I'm a huge LA sports nerd, so of course I'm extremely excited.
Interesting history. From the outside looking int(a non-Californian like myself) I've always thought that The Oakland Raiders superseded the Rams as far as being the de facto NFL team that Angelenos rooted for after both teams left. I didn't know that Raiders fans in LA were the niche fanbase...

I learn something knew everyday...

On another note, how many Chargers fans are there in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles has a VERY rich sports history that it doesn't get credit for, like the Eastcoast and Midwest cities do. Being an LA sports nerd would seem fun and daunting at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City