Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the total crane count for every metro area is? Seems like that would be the only way you could measure these apples to apples since some cities are 40-60 sq. miles while others are 300-500 sq. miles.

Toronto: 110 (243 sq. miles)
New York: 70 (304 sq miles)
Los Angeles: 45 (469 sq. miles)
Calgary: 34 (318 sq. miles)
Washington DC: 31 (61 sq. miles)
San Francisco: 26 (46 sq. miles)
Honolulu: 19 (60.5 sq. miles)
Phoenix: 19 (517 sq. miles)
Chicago: 16 (227 sq. miles)
Portland: 14 (133 sq. miles)
Seattle: 13 (83 sq. miles)
Boston: 6 (48 sq. miles)

These are the most impressive on the list. I wonder how these look at the same sample size? I know D.C. would add Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Tyson's. Boston would add Cambridge etc. etc. San Fran would add Oakland etc. etc.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-05-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,641,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I wonder what the total crane count for every metro area is? Seems like that would be the only way you could measure these apples to apples since some cities are 40-60 sq. miles while others are 300-500 sq. miles.

Toronto: 110 (243 sq. miles)
New York: 70 (304 sq miles)
Los Angeles: 45 (469 sq. miles)
Calgary: 34 (318 sq. miles)
Washington DC: 31 (61 sq. miles)
San Francisco: 26 (46 sq. miles)
Honolulu: 19 (60.5 sq. miles)
Phoenix: 19 (517 sq. miles)
Chicago: 16 (227 sq. miles)
Portland: 14 (133 sq. miles)
Seattle: 13 (83 sq. miles)
Boston: 6 (48 sq. miles)

These are the most impressive on the list. I wonder how these look at the same sample size? I know D.C. would add Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Tyson's. Boston would add Cambridge etc. etc. San Fran would add Oakland etc. etc.
There are no (or few at most) cranes up in Oakland, or the East Bay right now. There are a lot of cranes up along the Peninsula south of SF, into the Valley, down into SJ. A lot.

The crane count for SF seems about correct. It ranges from 25-33 with little fluctuation in expansion economy (it's had about that amount of cranes up since ~2013 and as some cranes come down, more go up, but never at a rate to get outside of that box).

Seattle's count, as has been pointed out, is definitely wrong. It has more cranes up than SF, probably 35-40. Phoenix is very surprising. Slow economy down there...the WSJ actually had an article on Phoenix real estate and its economy yesterday, and it made me cringe. Boston's is surprisingly low (pretty sure it's wrong).

Old 08-05-2015, 12:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
I wonder what the crane count for Houston is probably somewhere between 100-400, cranes because it seems they are everywhere, also the port has a lot of cranes to I wonder if they count those?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Someone has absolutely not relativity or experience outside of their city. 100-140 tower cranes?? Have you been to NYC, or Toronto, or at least have familiarity with these cities??

Old 08-05-2015, 12:49 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,555 times
Actually Houston does have a ton of cranes.. Easily in the top 3.

New superpower city? Houston blows past New York in key building mark - CultureMap Houston

That article mentions there were 50 office buildings under construction alone.. Add in one of the highest counts of multi family development in the country and you've got towers scattered all across the metro. There were 16 alone at Exxons campus near the Woodlands at one point.. Not to mention all the industrial complexes seeing multi billion dollar expansions accounting for at least 5-10 cranes a piece

Downtown alone has 19 cranes.. At 1.8 sq mi it destroys the list a few posts above..

Old 08-05-2015, 01:42 PM

^^^Most Houston apartments are not high rises needing cranes. Some of the Type III stuff may have a crane.

In terms of 19 cranes downtown - that is impressive. But the reason why is because that is more cranes right in the CBD of Houston than some other cities have in their CBDs with more towers going up. So I wonder, are there a lot of projects with girth that have more than 1 crane?

I know Houston has a real estate explosion right now, which is likely to be immediately chilled once the current crop of projects are done if crude doesn't pick back up (and all guestimates are that it will be prolonged). But there is nothing in NA that compares, at all, to the explosion of high rises going up in either Toronto or New York. Maybe Miami, to an extent.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^Most Houston apartments are not high rises needing cranes. Some of the Type III stuff may have a crane.

In terms of 19 cranes downtown - that is impressive. But the reason why is because that is more cranes right in the CBD of Houston than some other cities have in their CBDs with more towers going up. So I wonder, are there a lot of projects with girth that have more than 1 crane?

I know Houston has a real estate explosion right now, which is likely to be immediately chilled once the current crop of projects are done if crude doesn't pick back up (and all guestimates are that it will be prolonged). But there is nothing in NA that compares, at all, to the explosion of high rises going up in either Toronto or New York. Maybe Miami, to an extent.
LA's in the same boat. We have a plethora of Type III projects (far too high a proportion compared to the Type I and II stuff, honestly) and many of those do not have cranes. It partially explains how we have crazy pipeline stats (e.g. permits filed in the first half of 2015 alone for 20,000 residential units) and yet only have 45 cranes erected.

The Type III stuff annoys me, but I try to just look at those buildings like placeholders. They're better than vacant lots and parking lots they replaced, and they can get always get demolished and replaced with towers in 30 years when the land values warrant it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
LA's in the same boat. We have a plethora of Type III projects (far too high a proportion compared to the Type I and II stuff, honestly) and many of those do not have cranes. It partially explains how we have crazy pipeline stats (e.g. permits filed in the first half of 2015 alone for 20,000 residential units) and yet only have 45 cranes erected.

The Type III stuff annoys me, but I try to just look at those buildings like placeholders. They're better than vacant lots and parking lots they replaced, and they can get always get demolished and replaced with towers in 30 years when the land values warrant it. Rome wasn't built in a day.
LA's boom fascinates me. Im anxious to see how large the boom becomes in the near future with such a robust pipeline across downtown LA and the entire city. DC is said to be entering into one of the largest booms it's ever seen in its entire history. They are calling it the mega development boom because it's being anchored by 5 massive mixed use developments. I know DC had upwards of 60 cranes a year ago. I could see DC passing that figure by next year with so many projects adding cranes in the coming months. The projects breaking ground far outpace the projects finishing up. This will be fun to follow from now headed into 2020 between the two cities.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Why is DC still booming so much? Last I checked, job growth was average. It's economic heyday was definitely between 2008-2012. That's also when it's population growth for the entire metro was reaching 130k a year. Sunbelt-esque growth. Now it's barely 60k. I mean, I'm one of those people who would love to live in DC so I'm sure there's a lot of demand, but still....it really does boggle my mind. I just don't see how the growth can be sustained without a large economic expansion(which DC is NOT in at the moment).

Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post

heres a map of the developments going on in downtown.. keep in mind Houston is an unzoned city and much of the development is taking place outside of downtown.

Downtown Houston Developments Map- July 2015

you would be surprised at how many of the mid-rise apartment complexes require a tower crane.. especially those in the loop.

Houston?s multifamily permitting activity continues to climb despite market slowdown - Houston Business Journal

and like i said, many of the refineries/plants on the east side are undergoing multi-billion dollar expansions, some of which require a dozen or so cranes each.

Quote:
Cheap natural gas is driving billions of dollars of new chemical investments. Between 2010 and 2023, chemical companies have committed $100.2 billion to new expansion projects in the U.S., according to the American Chemistry Council. The vast majority of these projects are in the Houston area.
Houston's industrial real estate is booming despite oil downturn - Houston Business Journal

and multiple hospital systems expanding their presence in the Texas Medical Center and building new branches in suburban markets with billions of dollars in developments.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 08-05-2015 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City