Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
http://www.downtownseattle.com/files...ment-Guide.pdf has a reasonable summary of the current ongoing projects in Seattle. I think the last rough count I saw last month was around 15 cranes in the downtown area (at least 1 has gone done and 1 has gone up since then). However, a six story building will merit a crane here which may not be that interesting. By my top of the head calculation there are about 7 projects ongoing with 20-40 stories.

* Insignia Condos
* Amazon Rufus 2.0
* 815 Pine
* 2030 8th Ave
* Stadium Place
* 225 Cedar
* 8th and Seneca

Ben
Very nice! Seven 20-40 story towers is pretty significant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Very nice! Seven 20-40 story towers is pretty significant!
Actually Insigna is two 40 story towers and Stadium Place has two towers under construction so it's 9 towers.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Two new ones for Philly this week - has been a good 2014 thus far - fingers crossed

Mixed-Use | NP International: Construction and Development

New luxury high-rise planned for historic area - Philly.com

Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Two new ones for Philly this week - has been a good 2014 thus far - fingers crossed

Mixed-Use | NP International: Construction and Development

New luxury high-rise planned for historic area - Philly.com

Philly is on fire!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Correction, Philly will be on fire when all of these projects are actually UC with cranes in or excavation going on (at minimum).

SF needs a reminder:

Cranes up right now (20 stories and up)

1 350 Mission (33 stories office)
1 535 Mission (27 stories office)
1 One Rincon Hill North Tower (50 stories resi)
1 399 Fremont (42 stories resi)
2 Lumina North (38 stories resi)
2 Lumina South (43 stories resi)
1 100 Van Ness (28 stories resi)
1 222 Second (26 stories office)

Excavation ongoing (20 stories and up)

Transbay Tower (61 stories office)
181 Fremont (54 stories mixed-use)
299 Fremont (32 stories resi)

I know Oakland, SJ, and the Valley have some projects, but I honestly can't keep up or pay attention to anything outside of SF. If one were to add all the sub-20 story buildings, SF's list would be very long (there's one corner in the city with three 12-18 story towers UC right now and a 15 story a couple blocks down the street, for instance).

Of course there are planed demolitions and approved buildings and proposed buildings and recently completed buildings, but I think cranes up and excavation ongoing are the two metrics that should be used for "Buildings Coming Up".

In terms of sheer number of buildings coming up:

NYC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Seattle
Boston
Houston
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Austin
Atlanta
Dallas

In terms of skyline changing (going up *right now*):

NYC
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Austin
Boston
Miami
Seattle
Philadelphia
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

I think it's subjective and difficult, but I think there is no question about the top 5 cities for most high rises actually coming out of the ground right now, and I think it's pretty clear the top 4 cities undergoing the largest transformation right now.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Correction, Philly will be on fire when all of these projects are actually UC with cranes in or excavation going on (at minimum).

SF needs a reminder:

I know Oakland, SJ, and the Valley have some projects, but I honestly can't keep up or pay attention to anything outside of SF. If one were to add all the sub-20 story buildings, SF's list would be very long (there's one corner in the city with three 12-18 story towers UC right now and a 15 story a couple blocks down the street, for instance).

Of course there are planed demolitions and approved buildings and proposed buildings and recently completed buildings, but I think cranes up and excavation ongoing are the two metrics that should be used for "Buildings Coming Up".

NYC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Seattle
Boston
Houston
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Austin
Atlanta
Dallas

NYC
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Austin
Boston
Miami
Seattle
Philadelphia
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

I think it's subjective and difficult, but I think there is no question about the top 5 cities for most high rises actually coming out of the ground right now, and I think it's pretty clear the top 4 cities undergoing the largest transformation right now.
well there are 7 UC - 4 in excavation - 2 pretty confident in CTIC being one and about 12 with a realistic chance to be in first two groups by this time next year. Time will tell but am bullish here these days but would agree not all these not putting up steel today will come to fruition

By your metrics Philly and SF are just about neck and neck actually

Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well there are 7 UC - 4 in excavation - 2 pretty confident in CTIC being one and about 12 with a realistic chance to be in first two groups by this time next year. Time will tell but am bullish here these days but would agree not all these not putting up steel today will come to fruition

By your metrics Philly and SF are just about neck and neck actually
I think you're twisting my words somehow and trying to spin. In a year or two when all of the current crop of SF projects wind down and all of the proposed Philly projects are actually rising, then Philly will be a dominant construction city in the country.

For now, Philly isn't even close to SF and you clearly have no concept what my metrics are. I was looking at 20+ floors only, and was looking at cranes first, then excavation, not "I'm pretty sure it's going to happen" etc.

Right now Philly has for cranes:

Cira South 36 story resi
Lancaster Square 25 story resi
3601 Market 28 story resi

For excavation:

38th and Chestnut 25 story resi

Perhaps soon there will be more actually happening.

Things like 1900 Arch St at 14 floors and 162 ft don't boost Philly's ratings. Several cities have tons of 14 story buildings UC, so many in fact that on construction sites they get little mention because there is literally too many 20-30+ floor buildings actually UC to even pay attention to 14 floors.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:

SF needs a reminder:

NYC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Seattle
Boston
Houston
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Austin
Atlanta
Dallas

NYC
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Austin
Boston
Miami
Seattle
Philadelphia
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

The only problem with this is that none of those cities are being changed in urban feel by those. You have to look at way more than 30 story buildings to actually move the needle in urbanity. From a highrise standpoint, it would take 50+ to make a city feel more urban and that would only help cities that are in the 40-60 square mile range.

As a planner, it's what many of us struggle with when it comes to demand because 20-30 story buildings suck up all the demand making increases in urbanity as a whole for a city virtually improbable over the course of 10-20 years.

For almost every city in your list outside of NYC Boston, and SF, they will need a substantial amount of development to move the needle and change the overall feel of the city.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I think you're twisting my words somehow and trying to spin. In a year or two when all of the current crop of SF projects wind down and all of the proposed Philly projects are actually rising, then Philly will be a dominant construction city in the country.

For now, Philly isn't even close to SF and you clearly have no concept what my metrics are. I was looking at 20+ floors only, and was looking at cranes first, then excavation, not "I'm pretty sure it's going to happen" etc.

Right now Philly has for cranes:

Cira South 36 story resi
Lancaster Square 25 story resi
3601 Market 28 story resi

For excavation:

38th and Chestnut 25 story resi

Perhaps soon there will be more actually happening.

Things like 1900 Arch St at 14 floors and 162 ft don't boost Philly's ratings. Several cities have tons of 14 story buildings UC, so many in fact that on construction sites they get little mention because there is literally too many 20-30+ floor buildings actually UC to even pay attention to 14 floors.

I strongly doubt many of the cities you listed have their development as concentrated as Philly. In my opinion, the only city with more concentrated development is DC. Philly is basically building everything in Center City and Ucity. That is necessary to move the needle.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The only problem with this is that none of those cities are being changed in urban feel by those. You have to look at way more than 30 story buildings to actually move the needle in urbanity. From a highrise standpoint, it would take 50+ to make a city feel more urban and that would only help cities that are in the 40-60 square mile range.

As a planner, it's what many of us struggle with when it comes to demand because 20-30 story buildings suck up all the demand making increases in urbanity as a whole for a city virtually improbable over the course of 10-20 years.

For almost every city in your list outside of NYC Boston, and SF, they will need a substantial amount of development to move the needle and change the overall feel of the city.
I partially agree, but we aren't talking about urbanity. I was merely talking about high rises coming out of the ground, a subset of "projects" coming out of the ground as it pertains to the OP/thread. To your point, Miami continues to build gated communities in the sky, but these projects are affecting the skyline and are projects nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City