Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 12:13 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Stop using outdated attitudes as the way Atlanta used to be.
The city of Atlanta has been growing as much as even D.C. percentage wise.

The city IS growing faster than the suburbs.It has nothing to do with mindset because most of the development now is inside the city is walk able urban style development.No different than what is happening in D.C. or anywhere else.

DC population grows more than any other local county - Greater Greater Washington

DC is growing over 2% and adding more than any other county in the region. What year is your map from? DC has been growing over 2% for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
First of all Im not saying none of those homes will not succumb to pressure to build higher and more compact.That will happen as it has happened a lot over the years.

However this notion that you can't have both is ludicrous.

You know as well as I do that there is so much land in Atlanta before you even get to many of those single family houses.
Houston and Dallas are will be like Miami.Lots of condos but its hardly that urban on the street level activity.Especially Houston.
Those tunnels don't help that.

Those cities will always be more populous but they will not be denser for a much longer time than Atlanta will become.
I truly believe that this streetcar is the beginning of a revival for the city.If it eventually does expand to the BeltLine ,I suspect it will be a huge increase in street level activity as there already seems to be downtown Atlanta and it has not even started operating yet
Those tunnels could always close which there is talk of doing so. Houston is also building a streetcar system themselves. Which will connect not only major employment centers but residential areas within the inner city of Houston. Dallas is developing the same way. Each have their own way of I filling and each has their way of increasing density. I wouldn't just push Houston to the side in future urbanity and development. I also don't think these cities are building like Miami. More like Los Angeles if anything.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Houston is going to be just like L.A. It's building in a very similar pattern to L.A. It will have dense areas, but if you were to say walk through one of those dense areas, it won't feel as walkable or as a dense as say a moderate density neighborhood in Philly or Boston or SF or DC.

For example, in this picture, this neighborhood would probably be a 6k-10k density neighborhood in Houston, but it just doesn't feel walkable.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7407/1...a8f56835_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 04-19-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 04:42 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
This thread has gone way off track. Please continue the discussion on urbanity and population density to the Urban Plannning forum.

Some examples of on-topic threads for the Urban Planning forum are:
•zoning and land-use planning
•sprawl
•sustainability and smart growth
•gentrification, revitalization, and urban renewal
•suburbanization
•urban decay
•density
•public transit and transit-oriented development
•urban design and aesthetics
as well as socio-economic and environmental issues relating to cities.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what the nightmare is then? You are the one who said nightmare. Nobody with an urban mindset would have said that. What is the nightmare? Density is a good thing. It forces people to use other forms of transportation. Not by choice, but out of necessity. Major difference.

What does infill have to do with what you said about development being a nightmare? The more development, the better.
My exact words were TOO much density.I never said DENSITY was bad or u welcome.

I ride MARTA subway routinely because I can ,not because I have to.I live in the city to enjoy city life such for the convenience of not having a drive.I also live in a SFH on a .25 acre 1 mile from the center of Downtown 2 bloacks from WalMart and restaurants.
An area very similar to where Howard University is ,just closer to the center of the city.

So to you any development is good development.?
There is a guy name Fuqua down here that would LOVE you as a resident.Not a good thing.

D.C. is a nightmare with its traffic.That is one definition.
How as that helped D.C other than increased average home prices and rents being that its getting more and more dense?

No I don't think D.C. is overcrowded....YET.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston is going to be just like L.A. It's building in a very similar pattern to L.A. It will have dense areas, but if you were to say walk through one of those dense areas, it won't feel as walkable or as a dense as say a moderate density neighborhood in Philly or Boston or SF or DC.

For example, in this picture, this neighborhood would probably be a 6k-10k density neighborhood in Houston, but it just doesn't feel walkable.
This what I was trying to say.Building more density but street level activity seems like it is lacking.Yes Houston is buillding more like LA.I just said Miami because of the amount of growth and highrises going up in Houston

Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
This what I was trying to say.Building more density but street level activity seems like it is lacking.Yes Houston is buillding more like LA.I just said Miami because of the amount of growth and highrises going up in Houston
While there are a lot of highrises going up in Houston, most of the newer development is actually the 5-8 story midrise apartments sprinkled in with dense townhomes and denser single family homes with very little space between homes and practically no yards. I would say Atlanta may always be more walkable. But Houston will be denser.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
This thread has gone way off track. Please continue the discussion on urbanity and population density to the Urban Plannning forum.

Some examples of on-topic threads for the Urban Planning forum are:
•zoning and land-use planning
•sprawl
•sustainability and smart growth
•gentrification, revitalization, and urban renewal
•suburbanization
•urban decay
•density
•public transit and transit-oriented development
•urban design and aesthetics
as well as socio-economic and environmental issues relating to cities.

Since 99.9% of the threads on City vs. City are about urban planning and the best cities that do it well, shouldn't the threads NOT discussing it be the ones that need to find a different forum to chat in? There is a room for every single topic anybody could think of on City-Data.com. If the majority of people on here want city vs. city to compare the urbanity of cities, the forum should reflect it's population. Don't you think? It sounds like there needs to be some restructuring of the forums by the MODS. I will see what YAC thinks.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
My exact words were TOO much density.I never said DENSITY was bad or u welcome.

I ride MARTA subway routinely because I can ,not because I have to.I live in the city to enjoy city life such for the convenience of not having a drive.I also live in a SFH on a .25 acre 1 mile from the center of Downtown 2 bloacks from WalMart and restaurants.
An area very similar to where Howard University is ,just closer to the center of the city.

So to you any development is good development.?
There is a guy name Fuqua down here that would LOVE you as a resident.Not a good thing.

D.C. is a nightmare with its traffic.That is one definition.
How as that helped D.C other than increased average home prices and rents being that its getting more and more dense?

No I don't think D.C. is overcrowded....YET.

In the city? How is traffic in D.C. proper a nightmare? I don't think I have ever heard anybody say that. There isn't an area in the entire city of Atlanta that is built anything like the area around Howard University.

This is the neighborhood around Howard University:

Example One:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9165...N6BNKK1EVA!2e0

Example Two:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9159...NoTAxwqFCQ!2e0

As for MARTA, the city needs to create and equilibrium where people have to ride MARTA because of density. That's why it's so under-utilized compared to NYC or D.C. People ride the train in NYC and D.C. because everyone can't drive to their jobs. There isn't enough parking because parking is limited on purpose.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
While there are a lot of highrises going up in Houston, most of the newer development is actually the 5-8 story midrise apartments sprinkled in with dense townhomes and denser single family homes with very little space between homes and practically no yards. I would say Atlanta may always be more walkable. But Houston will be denser.
That was my point I was attempting poorly to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City