Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite new landmark
NYC - The High Line 4 13.79%
Chicago - Cloud Gate (aka the Bean) 10 34.48%
Milwaukee - Milwaukee Art Museum 5 17.24%
Washington DC - Pentago 9/11 Memorial 1 3.45%
Other 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,044 times

Advertisements

Some cities have built some pretty cool notable, and becoming very famous landmarks in the last 10-15 years. Which one is your favorite? And please not these are only landmarks that are COMPLETE as of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I think it's hilarious when toursits come into town and they all mention "we have to see the bean!". I mean it's ok I guess, most locals know what it is and all....but what's the huge draw?? It's a big shiny piece of metal. During summers I walk at lunch and the thing is SWARMING with domestic and international tourists. It's like people can't get close enough, as if it's going to magically start spitting out money.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
I like the bean and the WWII memorial turned out very well, inviting, especially on a hot day

Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
High Line, it's actually usable and I like how they did a conversion instead of completely bulldozing an area and building something new. Though I'm not sure why you didn't say Millenium Park as a whole, instead of just the bean... That whole area wasn't there 10 years ago. If that's the case, definitely millenium park.

The area used to be a big dead zone and giant parking lot eye sore

la foundation

today it's a centerpiece area of the city.

green roofs

I wish they would have completely closed off the roads down there though or built better walkways. It's still annoying being in a "park" and having to wait for crossing guards to cross several lanes of traffic going between Millenium Park and other parts of Grant Park. The traffic going through there still breaks up the feel of the park.

Last edited by grapico; 10-04-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think it's hilarious when toursits come into town and they all mention "we have to see the bean!". I mean it's ok I guess, most locals know what it is and all....but what's the huge draw?? It's a big shiny piece of metal. During summers I walk at lunch and the thing is SWARMING with domestic and international tourists. It's like people can't get close enough, as if it's going to magically start spitting out money.
If going gaga over the bean in Chitown makes you wonder, then you should come to lower Manhattan and watch the tourists go nuts over the Bull (the oversize statue of a bull that represents Wall St and is located near Bowling Green). Never ceases to amaze me why so many out of towners go nuts over this, want their picture taken by it, climb up on it, stroke its tail (and other anatomically correct parts), etc etc. I mean get over it folks. It ain't the Statue of Liberty. It's just a damn bull! Oh well.

To answer OPs question though, I would say other, the hottest newest landmark here seems to be the WTC Memorial site. Twelve years after the fact I still find thinking about 9/11 incredibly sad and moving, and so, it seems, do most tourists.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
High Line, it's actually usable and I like how they did a conversion instead of completely bulldozing an area and building something new. Though I'm not sure why you didn't say Millenium Park as a whole, instead of just the bean... That whole area wasn't there 10 years ago. If that's the case, definitely millenium park.

The area used to be a big dead zone and giant parking lot eye sore

la foundation

today it's a centerpiece area of the city.

green roofs

I wish they would have completely closed off the roads down there though or built better walkways. It's still annoying being in a "park" and having to wait for crossing guards to cross several lanes of traffic going between Millenium Park and other parts of Grant Park. The traffic going through there still breaks up the feel of the park.
Fabulous. Just fabulous.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Some that come to mind

-The Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston: green strip park or lid more or less that covers the I-93 big dig tunnels, it's so nice to see the sky and greenspace in the the thick of downtown Boston and have the formerly divided waterfront and North End connected with the city.

-Olympic Sculpture Park in Seattle: formerly non descript blocks near valuable waterfront land transformed with green lids and sculptures into a funky and scenic city and waterfront park.

-Devon Energy Tower in Oklahoma City: This sleek and modern skyscraper has taken what was a fairly dull medium sized skyline and transformed the whole look of the city as a centerpiece and focal point.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If going gaga over the bean in Chitown makes you wonder, then you should come to lower Manhattan and watch the tourists go nuts over the Bull (the oversize statue of a bull that represents Wall St and is located near Bowling Green). Never ceases to amaze me why so many out of towners go nuts over this, want their picture taken by it, climb up on it, stroke its tail (and other anatomically correct parts), etc etc. I mean get over it folks. It ain't the Statue of Liberty. It's just a damn bull! Oh well.

To answer OPs question though, I would say other, the hottest newest landmark here seems to be the WTC Memorial site. Twelve years after the fact I still find thinking about 9/11 incredibly sad and moving, and so, it seems, do most tourists.
Or the Hollywood sign for that matter. It's literally just a sign that says Hollywood on the side of mountain. Big whoop, but it's one of our most famout landmarks.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
WTC Memorial in NYC is massive, those fountains are DEEP and very large. Overall though, it's a very somber experience. Not something to get "excited" about. More to reflect, honor, and mourn.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
WTC Memorial in NYC is massive, those fountains are DEEP and very large. Overall though, it's a very somber experience. Not something to get "excited" about. More to reflect, honor, and mourn.
Right to me I just find it too somber. While impressive I would have a hard time saying its one of my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City