Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uh, no. It does have some northeastern traits, mainly with respect to certain aspects of the built environment and its politics, but it also lacks some very defining characteristics of northeastern cities like the historic presence of heavy industry, European immigrant ethnic enclaves, a large Catholic presence (in line with those of other NE cities), etc.

It may have a different sort of vibe, but it's still IN the South.
It almost did actually. Look up the history of Southwest DC. That's all you need to know.

And I think s/he might've had the distinctive tropical/Caribbean/Latino type of party vibe that Floridian nightlife gives off to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM

399 posts, read 882,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Boston and Philly are both bar stool cities. Probably Baltimore as well. Though I don't think DC is much of a bar city at all.

Out of the four, id rank them Philly > DC > Boston/Baltimore

Still, the Northeast starts and ends with NYC. Everywhere else doesnt compare.

The Midwest starts and ends with Chicago.

The South starts and ends with New Orleans and Miami.

The West starts and ends with Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

This is for all around nightlife. I think most would agree these are the top nightlife cities in the US, bar none.

For more niche nightlife, you have cities like SF, Seattle in addition to LA and Vegas, which I think is better than the others as a whole.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Boston and Philly are both bar stool cities. Probably Baltimore as well. Though I don't think DC is much of a bar city at all.
DC is more of a lounge city. And the bars and pubs are good around here in the DMV for the most part, but you'll most likely experience the true meaning of bar/pub culture in Boston, Baltimore, and Philly because it's basically much more deeply ingrained in their culture than it is in DC.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM

I wonder how good other Midwestern cities outside of Chicago can compete with the other heavy-hitting regions when it comes to nightlife.

How is it in Minneapolis/St. Paul? Cincinnati? Kansas City? Cleveland? Detroit? St. Louis? Madison? Indianapolis? Omaha?

A few more contenders should also be mentioned for the other nightlife regions.

Northeast: Pittsburgh, Hoboken in NJ, and Buffalo.

West: Denver, ABQ, and Santa Fe.

South: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I wonder how good other Midwestern cities outside of Chicago can compete with the other heavy-hitting regions when it comes to nightlife.

How is it in Minneapolis/St. Paul? Cincinnati? Kansas City? Cleveland? Detroit? St. Louis? Madison? Indianapolis? Omaha?

KC is more a live music city. Lot of cheaper jazz clubs. You see a lot of local acts. A lot of places you go to will generally have some live performer.

It kind of have some dance clubs here and there, but not as popular though.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM

I think the rest of the Midwest is hit or miss.

Definitely love their beer most places, but the scenes arent 1st or 2nd tier. I think the others are more likely 3rd tier.

1nd tier would be obviously NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.

2nd tier id say SF, Seattle, Boston, Philly, DC, etc.

3rd tier id say places like Milwaukee, KC, St Louis, Buffalo, etc.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
College nightlife is always fun in Ann Arbor and Madison is all around great. Chicago is a given in the Midwest.

Aside from that, the Midwest has nothing.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 PM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

So you mention ABQ and Santa Fe, but not Scottsdale? I'm not meaning to criticize ABQ and Santa Fe, but while Scottsdale is no LA or Vegas, it's still most certainly a few notches above ABQ and Santa Fe.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
I dont care for clubs whatsoever, they can disappear for all I care, so my ranking is entirely different here.
That fact makes you and I lame on this thread.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
They're both very good nightlife cities if you like low-key bars.

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City