Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Superstar?
Miami 46 50.00%
San Francisco 46 50.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times

Advertisements

Miami without a doubt. But you should have put it up against New York or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:24 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
In the world of fashion, glamour, media, exotic cars, shopping, such and such. In terms of having the highest international profile as a city people want to be in for either life or leisure. In terms of celebrity chefs, drugs, television, nightlife, film, music, such. In terms of industry, stuff like that. In terms of gateway connections (social connections with other countries' cultures). Stuff like everything.

Which city is more Superstar?
Fashion - Miami

Glamour - Miami

Media - SF

Exotic Cars - Miami

Shopping - Tie

Celebrity Chefs - Don't know, but SF has a much better culinary scene overall.

Drugs - Do you prefer coke or marijuana/hallucinogens?

Television - Not sure what you're asking here. More TV shows are set in Miami, although SF is up there.

Nightlife - Miami for its 24 hour clubbing, but SF has a way better bar scene.

Film - Again, not sure what you're asking. Both cities have been the setting for a lot of movies.

Music - SF, easily.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:26 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Celebrity chefs? Superstar? I think I threw up in my mouth.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Television - Not sure what you're asking here. More TV shows are set in Miami, although SF is up there.

Film - Again, not sure what you're asking. Both cities have been the setting for a lot of movies.
It's a pretty straight forward question. I'll simplify it. Which city has a more dominant role in television and film. As in which one do you repeatedly see more of, present day.

That question, at this point in time in American Cinema, I'm seeing San Francisco more in films than Miami while I see more of Miami on television than San Francisco.

You guys are underrating San Francisco, the competition seems more even in actual life than what many of you are making it out to be. Yeah Miami probably takes glamour, television, nightlife outright. I cant think of a San Francisco weakness in shopping, film, or social connections with other countries. San Francisco is a larger hotbed for foreign investment than is Miami at this point.

Also celebrity chefs, industry, and such easily go to San Francisco.

People that voted for Miami, did you just look at fashion, glamour, and film and just go "Miami, Miami, Miami!" or what?

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-08-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't know "superstar" could be an adjective.
Little Superstar was the first thing that came to my mind:

"Little Superstar" - YouTube

Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
I agree with others here who wrote that the categories chosen load the dice in favor of Miami. Whether that was deliberate or accidental is neither here nor there. But someone else composing the thread could easily have changed the categories & loaded it in favor of San Francisco.
Nevertheless it's no contest for me even with all of that in mind as sofla951 succinctly hit the nail on the head by noting that "...San Francisco is the superstar when it comes to everything meaningful at this moment and most likely decades in the future."
Conversely one could accurately say that Miami is the Kardashian equivalent for U.S. cities & believe me, that clan of self aggrandizement, relentless promotion & trashy glitz leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't know "superstar" could be an adjective.
No, it's a word to substitute "name recognition". That topic is banned on City vs City for overuse. So if you want to make a thread asking about it, then the brand recognition cant be the theme of the thread, only a criteria, among several other distantly related criteria. Which is what I did, I gave at least 6 or so criteria topics (many of which I don't even care for) to deter it from being purely name recognition, which would get shut down.

Thought about using the term "highest profile/international profile" but that's too close to "name recognition" as it is. Wish I knew of more criteria that could imply the question, which city has the higher profile but I suppose this has to do. Since these are things that make people remember a city, know of a city's existence, and want to go out there and live in or vacation in the place.

The only person so far in this thread that gets it is polo89.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I don't think you'll find these kinds of anti-Miami political ads anywhere...

Rep. Graves (R-MO) TV Ad Attacks Opponent's San Fran Values - YouTube

SF is just the darling of neocons. LOL

Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't think you'll find these kinds of anti-Miami political ads anywhere...

Rep. Graves (R-MO) TV Ad Attacks Opponent's San Fran Values - YouTube

SF is just the darling of neocons. LOL
SMH. Sadly, many folks on that side of the aisle, may view this as accurate. Good lord this ad is backwards.

Last edited by polo89; 10-08-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I agree with others here who wrote that the categories chosen load the dice in favor of Miami. Whether that was deliberate or accidental is neither here nor there. But someone else composing the thread could easily have changed the categories & loaded it in favor of San Francisco.
Nevertheless it's no contest for me even with all of that in mind as sofla951 succinctly hit the nail on the head by noting that "...San Francisco is the superstar when it comes to everything meaningful at this moment and most likely decades in the future."
Conversely one could accurately say that Miami is the Kardashian equivalent for U.S. cities & believe me, that clan of self aggrandizement, relentless promotion & trashy glitz leaves a lot to be desired.
Miami is more than trashy glitz. REAL authentic culture, and cultural relevance can be found in Miami. While Miami isn't an innovation capitol like SF, nor is it a game-changer like SF, Miami has it's place, and there's more cultural importance in the city than people give it credit for. Having said that, if the criteria weren't Miami-biased, and followed the basic criteria in which cities SHOULD be judged by, I'm sure SF would destroy Miami pretty easily.

Public Transit: SF quite easily
Natural Beauty: SF
Industry: SF
Economy: SF
Cultural amenities: SF
Sports: SF
Schools K-12: I guess SF???
Collegiate Education: SF
Diversity: SF
Weather: I guess year round it would go to SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City