Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Pittsburgh which cities has the better natural beauty?
Pittsburgh 68 75.56%
Austin 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times

Advertisements

Both of these cities have some very nice surroundings ... The Texas Hill Country and Mt. Bonnell snuggle right up to Austin, and Town Lake is very nice ... However, the Allegheny Mountains and the confluence of those three rivers in Downtown Pittsburgh definitely gets my nod in this particular match up.

Pittsburgh is a strikingly beautiful city - a very impressive skyline that rises between the Allegheny Mountains and
foothills, the view from any of the incline railways is absolutely breathtaking!!!!

Photo courtesy of City Data Forum

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...kyline-12.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM

67 posts, read 126,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Both of these cities have some very nice surroundings ... The Texas Hill Country and Mt. Bonnell snuggle right up to Austin, and Town Lake is very nice ... However, the Allegheny Mountains and the confluence of those three rivers in Downtown Pittsburgh definitely gets my nod in this particular match up.

Pittsburgh is a strikingly beautiful city - a very impressive skyline that rises between the Allegheny Mountains and
foothills, the view from any of the incline railways is absolutely breathtaking!!!!

Photo courtesy of City Data Forum

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...kyline-12.html

I do agree Pittsburgh wins this because it has one of the best combinations of downtown location + natural scenery in the country. I will look at trying to find some good Austin pics to add to the others because it seems a lot of people are just hating on Austin without ever visiting here.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyyoda View Post
I will look at trying to find some good Austin pics to add to the others because it seems a lot of people are just hating on Austin without ever visiting here.
I lived in Austin for several years. And that was before the recent/current drought.
Pittsburgh wins this easily.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I lived in Austin for several years. And that was before the recent/current drought.
Pittsburgh wins this easily.

I also said in the sentence before that I believe Pittsburgh wins this, but Austin isn't getting a fair shake which is true. The east side of Austin and the spectacular location of Pittsburgh's downtown is what puts it over the top. Downtown and westward is a different story. It's not just the scenery, but places like this: (Hamilton Pool)

and nature right in the middle of the city (Barton Springs, not the pool)

and trails along the lake

and downtown is where the hill country begins as seen in this picture

and lastly one of the capital

Once again, not saying that Austin beats Pittsburgh, but the city and surrounding landscape should get more respect than it is in this thread. The drought has hurt the last couple of years, but we just got 10+ inches of rain while already being above average rainfall for the year so that may end in the coming months.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Very nice pics Mighyyoda!!

Go to visit Austin soon maybe spring of 2014.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Very nice pics Mighyyoda!!

Go to visit Austin soon maybe spring of 2014.

The boardwalk along townlake should be finished by then. The flood tunnel for Waller Creek should also be done, but I don't think the trails will be renovated yet. Both will connect to the hike and bike trail that extends from townlake to the various creeks, parks, and greenbelts around central Austin.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyyoda View Post
I also said in the sentence before that I believe Pittsburgh wins this, but Austin isn't getting a fair shake which is true.
Actually you said Austin was getting "hate" here, which maybe I missed. Most of the comparisons in this thread seemed pretty fair, although there will always be anti-Texas people.
You want to know about getting hate... try being a Houstonian for a while. People constantly trash the place without having visited. Or having lived there decades ago, or maybe after driving through on the freeways for a quick visit. Even other Texans are horrible about this. It's pretty sad.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Austin is no slouch when it comes to natural scenery, as people have posted pics here.

But still, this goes to Pitt.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Austin is no slouch when it comes to natural scenery, as people have posted pics here.

But still, this goes to Pitt.
Yeah, that's about the consensus. I agree. Interestingly though, everyone seems to be stating it as gospel, yet I've seen a ton of lovely Austin scenery photos and exactly one photo of Pittsburgh, and it was of downtown Evidence is always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
You want to know about getting hate... try being a Houstonian for a while. People constantly trash the place without having visited. Or having lived there decades ago, or maybe after driving through on the freeways for a quick visit. Even other Texans are horrible about this. It's pretty sad.
It's very true that Houston pretty much never gets a fair shake, it's sad that the fashionable trend of ignorantly bashing Houston persists.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Yeah, that's about the consensus. I agree. Interestingly though, everyone seems to be stating it as gospel, yet I've seen a ton of lovely Austin scenery photos and exactly one photo of Pittsburgh, and it was of downtown
I posted a picture and a link to an entire website of professional photos. They are copyrighted, so cross-posting them here would be a violation of the TOS. But it takes just one click to see hundreds of Pittsburgh pictures.

As far as it being "gospel".....the question was asked and it was answered honestly.

Quote:
Evidence is always a good thing.
And it was one click away!

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City