Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Pittsburgh which cities has the better natural beauty?
Pittsburgh 68 75.56%
Austin 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times

Advertisements

Austin vs Pittsburgh which cities has the better natural beauty?

I've never been to Austin before but lived in Pittsburgh for 9 months back in 2003. From the pictures that I've seen from Austin I think this is a fair comparison. Would like to here opinions from people that have experience with both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
There is some nice scenery outside Austin, but as for the city itself - nothing to compare with Pgh.

The only cities I know that might be in the same category are on the west coast - SF, Portland, Seattle. Cincinnati comes close.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
I've never been to Pittsburgh but I was recently in Austin and it was absolutely beautiful along Town Lake.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Ha oh geeze. Austin scenery is nowhere as beautiful as Pittsburgh's. Like that other poster said, only Seattle, SF, and Portland really compare in that category.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Both are hilly, I guess?
Otherwise, not much comparison. Austin looks rather dry and scraggly (especially west side of town) compared to Pittsburgh, which is much more lush and green, and also gets the Fall colors.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Austin Is hilly like Atlanta and Nashville are hilly. And a dozen other cities. The river is nice because it is wooded and not industrialized (that i remember) - but plenty of other cities have rivers.

Austin is attractive, but it's natural setting is not all that noteworthy.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Thanks for weighing in. It looks like Pittsburgh is the clear winner. I for some reason thought the polls would be a little closer.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
The Burgh. Hills plus green plus rivers.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
The ride from the airport into downtown Pittsburgh may take your breath away for the first time traveler to Pittsburgh.
It is so rugged around Pittsburgh that I wondered how they ever leveled a large enough area to create an airport in the first place. Then, as you get closein, you enter a long highway tunnel under Mount Washington, a low mountain of several hundred feet in elevation, after which you suddenly pop out of the tunnel & see the Golden Triangle area at the junction of the Monongahela & Allegheny Rivers just below & front of you.
It's absolutely a stunning entry way into Pittsburgh! It's truly a city where my dad would have said was laid out for a mountain goat.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The ride from the airport into downtown Pittsburgh may take your breath away for the first time traveler to Pittsburgh.
It is so rugged around Pittsburgh that I wondered how they ever leveled a large enough area to create an airport in the first place. Then, as you get closein, you enter a long highway tunnel under Mount Washington, a low mountain of several hundred feet in elevation, after which you suddenly pop out of the tunnel & see the Golden Triangle area at the junction of the Monongahela & Allegheny Rivers just below & front of you.
It's absolutely a stunning entry way into Pittsburgh! It's truly a city where my dad would have said was laid out for a mountain goat.
I could not agree more! Truly one of the most beautiful settings of any city in America. Like you said, it literally takes your breath away the first time you come through that tunnel. You have no inkling that you are anywhere near downtown the entire way there, and them...BOOM. You are hit by the skyline and river below. Best approach to any city I have ever seen. I tell this to people all the time and they are always like...Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh takes this one easily IMO, as most cities can't compare to it in this respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City