Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM

56 posts, read 93,084 times

Advertisements

Seems like random choices, but these are the cities I am currently looking at. I live in Northern NJ and want to get away from high COL and cutthroat life of the NYC metro area. I thought about Midwest, but figured might as well go to Bmore, familiar region, better location, decent economy so other rust belt cities wouldn't really make sense, even though they are somewhat cheaper. Seattle is a familiar location as well. To sum it up:

Why Bmore-same region, similar NE type urban vibe, but not too big and overcrowded, close to warm ocean, good location, a lot of things to do nearby, 4 seasons, sunnier, city has issues, but Id live in the burbs anyway, downtown looks nice, can go to DC for nightlife if bored (dont have ties in NYC/NJ so dont really have to go there, but an option to go there sometimes couldn't hurt), main negatives are-ghettos and summer heat/humidity, not sure if there is any southern influence I'd need to get used to.

Why Seattle-lived in the region before, comfortable, nice, clean, milder weather, no summer humidity, nature, lush greenery, laid back, high quality of life.

Seattle is def a nice city, but it's not as diverse and might be boring to me, as I like more diversity and Hip Hop oriented nightlife, and Bmore area prolly has more of that. That's not the main thing in life though so I wanna weigh everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
Seattle is widely regarded as the best city in the US...significant amount of buzz and hype. Was also identified as the most popular city in a nationwide poll.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:31 PM

well, thats cool, but im not sure how that's supposed to affect my life
thats like sayin nyc has buzz and hype so what

Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimywilin' View Post
Seems like random choices, but these are the cities I am currently looking at. I live in Northern NJ and want to get away from high COL and cutthroat life of the NYC metro area. I thought about Midwest, but figured might as well go to Bmore, familiar region, better location, decent economy so other rust belt cities wouldn't really make sense, even though they are somewhat cheaper. Seattle is a familiar location as well. To sum it up:

Why Bmore-same region, similar NE type urban vibe, but not too big and overcrowded, close to warm ocean, good location, a lot of things to do nearby, 4 seasons, sunnier, city has issues, but Id live in the burbs anyway, downtown looks nice, can go to DC for nightlife if bored (dont have ties in NYC/NJ so dont really have to go there, but an option to go there sometimes couldn't hurt), main negatives are-ghettos and summer heat/humidity, not sure if there is any southern influence I'd need to get used to.

Why Seattle-lived in the region before, comfortable, nice, clean, milder weather, no summer humidity, nature, lush greenery, laid back, high quality of life.

Seattle is def a nice city, but it's not as diverse and might be boring to me, as I like more diversity and Hip Hop oriented nightlife, and Bmore area prolly has more of that. That's not the main thing in life though so I wanna weigh everything.
While Baltimore has a much higher non-White population, Seattle can be viewed as more diverse.

Baltimore is 64% Black, 30% White, but only 4.2% Hispanic, 2.3% Asian and 1.8% some other race.

Seattle is 67% White, 14% Asian, 8% Black, 7% Hispanic, and 2.4% some other race.

Also, 17% of Seattle's residents are foreign-born, while less than 5% of Baltimore's are.

In terms of hip-hop oriented nightlife, obviously Baltimore demolishes Seattle. Seattle has more of that than you would imagine given its reputation, though. Overall, I think Seattle has better nightlife than Baltimore, but certainly not hip-hop oriented nightlife.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Seattle nightlife sucks Hip Hop wise. Bmore nightlife sucks to unless you love going to ghetto spots but at least you have DC 30 mins away. I would suggest Seattle just because I feel if someone move they should move to another region and not somewhere a few hours from home unless you want to be near your family.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Seattle nightlife sucks Hip Hop wise. Bmore nightlife sucks to unless you love going to ghetto spots but at least you have DC 30 mins away. I would suggest Seattle just because I feel if someone move they should move to another region and not somewhere a few hours from home unless you want to be near your family.
Regular spots far outnumber "ghetto spots." I see how limited your knowledge of Baltimore is.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

399 posts, read 882,847 times
If youre gonna move, move, and by that I mean, dont go somewhere thats more similar to where you are now. Go for something way different with the better QOL.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
Go to Seattle!!!

Lets see...

Baltimore - 200 murders a year
Seattle - 40 murders a year

Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM

i dont understand the point about moving somewhere i am not now, its not like seattle is a new thing for me, i lived in the pacific nw for yrs before, and actually east coast is new for me, i jus don wan stay where im at now
also, i meant its true that baltimore is not that diverse, but the whole area seems more diverse to me than seattle considerin u got dc nearby, which is real diverse, and these metros intersect
either way, bmore has more blacks tho so i assume my kinda nightlife would be more common, seattle nightlife is wack to me, as i usually jus go to hip hop clubs and strip clubs, dont really go to your regular bars, clubs or fancy restaurants that much

Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Baltimore no question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City