Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you haven't had a Peameal Bacon Sandwich from Carousel at St Lawrence market you are truly missing out.

St. Lawrence Market : Directory Individual Vendor - St Lawrence market btw has won tons of accolades and they are highly recommended by Nat Geo.

Top 10 Food Markets -- National Geographic

Aside from that, it is more difficult for an uber diverse city like Toronto to have a defining anything. We simply have more of a little bit of everything than most places.
Have you ever had a Pulled Pork Sandwich from Dicnics in Philadelphia? No? Well it was voted the best sandwich in America.

Roast Pork From DiNic’s Wins ‘Best Sandwich In America’ « CBS Philly

Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That makes no sense. Even NYC which is leagues ahead of Toronto in every category has defining characteristics. NY Pizza, Bagel, Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, etc.

Even London has defining characteristics.

Toronto or Philly isn't NYC or London - that's first. Second Toronto does have iconic things.. Just because you don't know about them doesn't mean they aren't there. The CN Tower is an iconic structure and the Peameal Bacon Sandwich is unique to the place but what makes a place most interesting isn't the most obvious. There are dozens of pieces of architecture in Toronto that is more appealing to me than the CN Tower. Gehry's AGO extension is one of them for instance. The funky OCAD makes a statement, the Neo Gothic architecture of the U of T is surreal and our Old City Hall is a fantastic example of Romanesque Revival. Even as far as our most famous festival - the Toronto International Film Festival which is probably the most important in the world, to me this doesn't make the city more interesting than a simple everyday walk through Queen Street West or Kensington.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:06 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with good food man.. yeah I tried hard to take the higher road but I got caught up in some of the crap too. Though I have been very complimentary of Philly and understand there is more to it than Cheese Steak Sandwiches and crime.
Nothing at all! This really could have turned out to be an insightful thread. Based on the criteria I voted for Toronto, and I know Toronto alot better than Philly, but I still think Philly is an underrated city on many levels. I kind of dig it quite a bit from limited visits.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Toronto or Philly isn't NYC or London - that's first. Second Toronto does have iconic things.. Just because you don't know about them doesn't mean they aren't there. The CN Tower is an iconic structure and the Peameal Bacon Sandwich is unique to the place but what makes a place most interesting isn't the most obvious. There are dozens of pieces of architecture in Toronto that is more appealing to me than the CN Tower. Gehry's AGO extension is one of them for instance. The funky OCAD makes a statement, the Neo Gothic architecture of the U of T is surreal and our Old City Hall is a fantastic example of Romanesque Revival.
The only defining characteristic of Toronto is the CN Tower. Say any of those other things to any normal person not familiar with the city and people will look at you with a blank stare.

Say Cheesesteak or Soft Pretzel, Liberty Bell or Love and everyone knows exactly which city these items are paired with.

That's my point. Toronto is a great city, no doubt, with a lot to offer, but on a world level, there is not much to identify it by.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Have you ever had a Pulled Pork Sandwich from Dicnics in Philadelphia? No? Well it was voted the best sandwich in America.

I don't know why you are assuming that I wouldn't like the sandwich - I've probably been the most balanced poster from outside Philadelphia about Philly. You made the claim that Toronto doesn't have an iconic dish and I countered that. I provided information on where to go to get it and also a link to one of the finest markets around anywhere - so what is the problem lol.. I simply said probably what cities are 'best' know for aren't their most appealing parts. Is the popular guy at school always the most interesting? I have no doubt I'd devour the pulled pork sandwich.

Speaking of best pork I ever had - it was in Vinales valley in Cuba... They know how to do Pork man!!

As for best sandwich in America - well congrats but last I looked T.O is in Canada.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. Even NYC which is leagues ahead of Toronto in every category has defining characteristics. NY Pizza, Bagel, Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, etc.

Even London has defining characteristics.
Umm, fusion2 said its "more difficult for an uber diverse city like Toronto" (meaning very few). He didn't say its "impossible".

Quote:

So the sandwich was voted best sandwich... in America... on a reality tv show? Oh... ok.

According to the previous link, the St. Lawrence Market on the other hand was rated the #1 food market... in the entire world... by one of the largest educational organizations in the world.

Between the two, I would take latter more serious than the former (the reality tv show). But that's just me though.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The only defining characteristic of Toronto is the CN Tower. Say any of those other things to any normal person not familiar with the city and people will look at you with a blank stare.

Say Cheesesteak or Soft Pretzel, Liberty Bell or Love and everyone knows exactly which city these items are paired with.

That's my point. Toronto is a great city, no doubt, with a lot to offer, but on a world level, there is not much to identify it by.
Honestly outside the U.S and Canada do you really think the Liberty Bell is all that famous? I think you'd get a lot of blank stares in Thailand if you spoke about Philly and the liberty bell. As I've mentioned as well, Philly has the benefits of the American cultural juggernaut. Also, if you look at Toronto Pearson's list of International Carriers - it is absolutely astounding how many serve Toronto.

Toronto Pearson International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a cross comparison of number of different international carriers to both airports above. Also look at number of International travellers doing O/D activity at each.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
If you haven't had a Peameal Bacon Sandwich from Carousel at St Lawrence market you are truly missing out.

St. Lawrence Market : Directory Individual Vendor - St Lawrence market btw has won tons of accolades and they are highly recommended by Nat Geo.

Top 10 Food Markets -- National Geographic

Aside from that, it is more difficult for an uber diverse city like Toronto to have a defining anything. We simply have more of a little bit of everything than most places.
Had it. Honestly, not remarkable. Though I'm not a big fan of the philly cheesesteak either and just the usual deli sandwiches (hoagies) were better. I did find the sort of new American dining scene in Philadelphia pretty good and found Canto food in Toronto to be very good, too. I was surprised that the west indian food in Toronto seemed oddly lacking because it seemed like there was a pretty massive west indian population there. I don't see uber diverse really equating to not having a defining anything. I think that's a lot more a function of Toronto being having such a relatively recent arrival as a large city.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-19-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

You mean a lot of people in the US would know what you're talking about (add in Rocky), but otherwise I think not. Abroad, it'd probably be UPenn that puts it on a map for some, but relatively little else. I'm not saying this as a snub to Philly, but simply that most of the world doesn't care to know that much about the US aside from a few things here and there. The same goes for Toronto--the CN Tower isn't going to be recognizable as specifically Toronto to the vast majority of people outside Canada. It's not really much of a thing.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Nothing at all! This really could have turned out to be an insightful thread. Based on the criteria I voted for Toronto, and I know Toronto alot better than Philly, but I still think Philly is an underrated city on many levels. I kind of dig it quite a bit from limited visits.
Absolutely and I refuse to get on the trash Philly bandwagon. Toronto doesn't have the same deep history or historical importance of Philly. I also think the architecture prior to WWII is more impressive than T.O because Philly was a more rich and important city. On the flip, Toronto is underrated for many pieces of its own architecture and post WWII the city has developed more prolific POMO and International scrapers than Philly. It also has two outstanding Museums - the ROM and AGO and very active cultural arts/festival scene. As an International and Cosmopolitan city from my vantage point i'd say that T.O is ahead.. Its been growing at a faster clip and is more dynamic. I don't think this is controversial to say at all to be honest in a general way but Philly looks to be a very interesting and urban destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City