U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:24 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago is big and diverse enough that it has something for everyone.

I often talk on this forum about how Chicago is overrated, but when I go to the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield or Lincoln Park Zoo, then I feel how lucky I am to be here. I'm addicted to natural sciences! Everything that Chicago has to offer in my opinion is no better than other places, because I guess I'm personally slightly ignorant when it comes to ethnic restaurants, art museums, etc.

Personally I don't give a RATS ASS!!! really about sports, shopping (mag mile is still a mall!!!), the lake (its freshwater body of water, no marine life, so its no cooler than a reservoir), the architecture in comparison to Dallas and Atlanta or Houston, but other people might.

To each his own I guess. If you like country music, which I do, you might have to look a little harder to find people who are into it, harder than Dallas or Atlanta, but they around.
If you listen to US99 in Chicago, there are plenty of places for the country crowd there (not including "Bob's Country Bunker")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:13 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,195,114 times
I lived in Chicago for 3 years and have now lived in Atlanta for 3 years.
If I could get my wife to go back, I would be in Chicago tomorrow!

If Atlanta vs. Chicago was a football game comparison it would be a record.
Chicago 100 / Atlanta 0.

Weather is a wash. Atlanta has oppressive heat and Chicago has terrible cold.
Everything else is Chicago hands down.
I did forget, crime. In this catagory Atlanta makes Chicago look like Utopia in this arena.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:30 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If you want to live in a city, pick Chicago. If you want to live in a warm strip mall, pick the other two.
Well said. I ditto that.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 31,233 times
Been to atlanta and dallas. Both are no place close to chicago. The only u.s. city that can compare is new york city! Chicago is more ethnically and culturally diverse than both cities. You don't need a car in chicago, but you definitely need one in dallas and atlanta. Both are great cities for the south, but chicago is a northern/international/cosmopolitan city. More people, more energy, more things to do. New York is the only place in the states that can compare with chicago. Structurally the 2 cities look similar (ny & chi-town), but New York is 2x the size of chicago so its going to have more to offer.

Anyways, if you can handle the winters and rude people (the only nice people i have met were southerners, and midwestern transplants to the city. Native chicagoans have serious attitudes!!!!!!!) then there is no more debate. Chicago is definitely the place for you!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Whatever,

outside the Loop, Mag Mile, and the Gold Coast, Chicago does not compare to New York at all.

Most people who say they're from "Chicago" whether actually in the city limits or in the suburbs live in areas that are pretty like other middle American cities.

Many neighborhoods on the far NW or far SW sides are clannish, blue collared areas, similar to what you find in Milwaukee, etc.

Many of the people who settled in Chicago have roots in small towns in the south and midwest. I'm not really sure what you would call a native Chicagoan anyways.

Chicago maybe diverse, but it is still consistently most segregated once you get away from the gentrified areas.

Bottom line, if you live in the Gold Coast, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Streeterville, South Loop and never leave and explore the rest of Chicagoland, or even Chicago proper then yes you would think its just like New York.

Read a biography on Richard J. Daley, you'll see how Chicago deep down has more in common with middle American cities than you might think.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 12-24-2007 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
In the city proper of Chicago:

Go hang out in neighborhoods like Norwood Park, Edison Park, Edgebrook (not Edgewater), Jefferson Park, Dunning, Beverly, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood, Clearing, Hedgewish

and then tell me in a generalized, broad way that Chicago is dense, not car oriented, not suburban-like, cosmopolitan, sophisticated and nothing like other midwestern cities.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,385,492 times
Quote:
Whatever,

outside the Loop, Mag Mile, and the Gold Coast, Chicago does not compare to New York at all.

Most people who say they're from "Chicago" whether actually in the city limits or in the suburbs live in areas that are pretty like other middle American cities.

Many neighborhoods on the far NW or far SW sides are clannish, blue collared areas, similar to what you find in Milwaukee, etc.

Many of the people who settled in Chicago have roots in small towns in the south and midwest. I'm not really sure what you would call a native Chicagoan anyways.

Chicago maybe diverse, but it is still consistently most segregated once you get away from the gentrified areas.

Bottom line, if you live in the Gold Coast, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Streeterville, South Loop and never leave and explore the rest of Chicagoland, or even Chicago proper then yes you would think its just like New York.

Read a biography on Richard J. Daley, you'll see how Chicago deep down has more in common with middle American cities than you might think.
Both of my maternal Grandparents families have been in Chicago since around 1920 and both of Paternal Grandparents families since 1904 and around 1880 . So I guess maybe I am a good example of what most Chicagoans used to be from.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,385,492 times
Quote:
In the city proper of Chicago:

Go hang out in neighborhoods like Norwood Park, Edison Park, Edgebrook (not Edgewater), Jefferson Park, Dunning, Beverly, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood, Clearing, Hedgewish

and then tell me in a generalized, broad way that Chicago is dense, not car oriented, not suburban-like, cosmopolitan, sophisticated and nothing like other midwestern cities.
All of those areas were annexed.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 31,233 times
Been to all of those 'annexed' areas (beverly, edgebrook, sauganash,etc...) and I can agree that they are very suburban. However, they exists at the furthest of city limits. It is like parts of queens that are right next to long island......it is still queens, but it looks and feels like the suburbs. My only comparison with chicago being similar to ny is based on the urban structure. It is also true that outside of chicago there is nothing else. Once you leave the city, you definitely know you are in the midwest. Even though there are small country towns on the east coast, there are still major cities within 1 or 2 hours from each other. Once you leave the next major city is at least 5 hours away (except milwuakee). Chicago being in the midwest and being surrounded by midwestern towns/cities, is why there is a noticeable difference between chicago and ny. Anyways, having said all of that, Chicago is still a better, and more vibrant place to live than atlanta or dallas.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:00 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,633,836 times
Quote:

Not all of us though. I was born and raised in Cook county and have lived in Chicago proper for over a decade (a little over 1/3 of my life), and both of my parents were born on the east coast. I sometimes joke that I'm a 'first generation Midwesterner'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City