Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM

96 posts, read 335,713 times

Advertisements

have the opportunity to make a major career move at the beginning of '08. opportunities are available in chicago, atl and dallas. anyone have thoughts on how the three stack up against one another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM

356 posts, read 537,879 times
It all depends on what you are looking for--certainly Chicago is vibrant, entertaining, cosmo, and hi-def, Atlanta or Dallas will one-half the living cost. If you are from the midwest I'd pick Chicago, if you are from a warmer client and like lots of sunshine go with Atl or Dallas.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,069,487 times
If you want to live in a city, pick Chicago. If you want to live in a warm strip mall, pick the other two.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,501,964 times
The cost of living in Atlanta and Dallas is NOT 1/2.
Check out this link: Moderator cut: links removed
This site gives a good idea of how they compare.

But money isn't everything either.
Atlanta is the smallest of the three. It has some of that southern charm, and the weather is usually pretty good. The people are friendly, but there are still race relations issues. Their night life leaves a lot to be desired, and crime can be pretty high in the city core. I've always enjoyed visiting, but I'm not sure I'd want to personally live there.

Dallas is the second biggest, and embodies that Texas feel (that is in no way meant to be a derogatory statement) There is a bigger is better mentality, and it is a fairly conservative place. The weather is good if you like mild winters, and most people are very friendly. I didn't find their food or nightlife to be memorable. I probably wouldn't go back.

Chicago is the biggest of the three and has that east coast feel. The city is old and has incredible architecture, but the infrastructure can be a little aged. The people are varied, but there are race relations issues here too. Yes, the weather can be harsh- if you don't like cold, I would run fast from here. The spring and fall are lovely though. You really get all 4 seasons. There is more nightlife than you could ever experience, the restaurants are fabulous. But yes, it's expensive- nothing compared to many of the east and west coast cities though.

Last edited by Yac; 12-05-2007 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,158,281 times
Like others have said, if you like big-city living, Chicago is your choice, hands down. Dallas and ATL offer lots, but not like Chicago. Expect warm summers and cold winters in Chicago, expect hot summers and mild winters in the other 2 cities. And dont fall for the myth that ATL and Dallas are super-sunny destinations. Their annual sunshine percentage is only 5% more than Chicago's.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,847,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If you want to live in a city, pick Chicago. If you want to live in a warm strip mall, pick the other two.
Well said

Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 AM

356 posts, read 537,879 times
Having lived both places I disagree entirely with Sperlings assessment of housing comparisons I traded my 5 bedroom new construction Atlanta suburban home for a 3 bedroom cape cod and had to pay 40% more for it in the Chicago burbs.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 AM

459 posts, read 1,413,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
post of the week, right here. ha ha... couldn't be truer.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,661,552 times
Warm strip mall! That was so funny it made me spit out my coffee.

Dallas and Atlanta have sort of a less dense suburban feel to me. And there are almost as many parking lots as buildings downtown in both of these cities. Dallas has that DART light rail train, but it's certainly not much of an option to get your around town on a regular basis. Public tranportation is dismal in both Dallas and Atlanta.

If you want to drive your car everywhere you go, have more space, and enjoy better weather, Atlanta and Dallas are good options. So yeah, pretty much living in a warm strip mall! If you want to live in a bustling big city, pick Chicago if you can handle the cold.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,158,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you want to drive your car everywhere you go, have more space, and enjoy better weather
Better weather? Explain.

I take it youve never been to Dallas or Atlanta in summer, otherwise youd be singing a different tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City