Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:56 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times

Advertisements

Don't be fooled by San Francisco and Seattle. There is a lot of marginalization in those cities, probably some of the worst I've ever seen. Let's not forget San Francisco and it's Bayview-Hunter's Point neighborhood, which had a history of marginalization. And let's not forget that many of Seattle's key neighborhoods are close to 75% white, and all of the color has been pushed south for the most part. Marginalization in so-called progressive West Coast cities is often ignored, but it's certainly VERY noticeable. LA was probably another one of these cities, but it has been exposed pretty heavily in the national media for what it is. However prior to the gangs in LA, it was a city with very bad marginalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM

204 posts, read 309,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Having lived in the American South nearly my entire life, and twenty of those years in east Texas, I see "southern" all over the place here - in the foods, the accents, the weather, the attitudes, the traditions, etc. It's not hard to miss. Now further west past Fort Worth, or south past about Corsicana? That's different - it doesn't feel like the southeast to me much in those areas.

Yep, Houston, Dallas and Atlanta - all great, diverse cities. What's your point?

Racism exists in basically every culture and every region the world over and has since the beginning of time. It's nothing new. My point is that it doesn't PERMEATE the south like some people would have people believe.

Yeah, I know what you mean - as a white person I've been in fear for my life in some parts of DC, Philly, etc. So what? Like another poster stated, it's more a matter of "social class" than it is simply race. You don't go into poverty stricken, unfamiliar neighborhoods in any city. I doubt seriously that a clean cut person of any race would feel in fear of their lives in any middle or upper class neighborhood in any southern city.

So what - it's a song about the South - which IS called Dixie. It's nothing like a song about the Taliban, which is an intolerant and hate based religious group.

Can you give a source for this?

I'd like a source for this as well. See, I worked in the corporate world for a southern based company (based out of Birmingham, AL) for many years. I often went to conventions and meetings which people from all over the company also attended. Many members of management, upper management, all the way down to the local locations, from all over the south, were African American. I mean, a PREPONDERANCE of them. This isn't unusual. Actually, I could tell the difference the minute I crossed the state line into Louisiana, where the AA ratio is much higher. Much of our training and events were in Shreveport and there were MANY black professionals in attendance. Not "token blacks" either - managers, trainers, etc.

Source please.

Apparently you didn't write a word down. That'll cost you points every time.

Our personal experiences differ, which is why personal anecdotes don't carry much weight.
My point was that he didn't write the word either and he got credit. It wasn't a one time mistake thing. Minorities were graded harsher even the white kids knew it.

Why would you celebrate a country of rebels and criminals who committed treason against the United States? That's what Dixie is.

Check these sources ( I can't remember where I saw the club thing, but I'll find it):

University of Alabama Sororities Still Won't Rush Black Women
http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallas...-manziel.html/
Racial slurs yelled at Ole Miss Obama protest - CBS News

There is a truth behind the stereotypes. There is no denying that the racism in the south.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
I'd say Houston.

I'm not buying any of these Austin or SF answers. There's a huge difference between perception and reality. Especially the west coast cities. Not nearly as "colorblind" as you would be made to believe.

That being said, Austin is a decent place to live for anybody. But make no mistake, there are issues with race here.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
You may like this school district just outside of Rochester NY, which has much of what you are looking for: East Irondequoit Central School District

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...4083&year=2012

It is a solid school district with good ethnic/racial diversity in a nice town.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
No such thing as best anywhere for race relations, every place is guilty of the same sort of history.

Just throw a dart on a map and start from there.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM

36,654 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Don't be fooled by San Francisco and Seattle. There is a lot of marginalization in those cities, probably some of the worst I've ever seen. Let's not forget San Francisco and it's Bayview-Hunter's Point neighborhood, which had a history of marginalization.
Bayview-Hunter's Point doesn't make this list, but look at all the Southern and Midwestern cities that do.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And you're going to tell me that people in those 25 neighborhoods are not marginalized?

What I find so ironic is all of the fear mongering going on in this thread regarding SF, Seattle and LA, by people who apparently have totally forgotten the centuries of marginalization that occurred and continues to occur where they themselves live.

The views on Bay Area Blacks in C-D is so strange and 9 times out of 10, totally inaccurate.

First of all, Blacks in the Bay Area have a far greater likelihood of being biracial or interracial.

Blacks who are biracial or multiracial, 2010 Census
San Francisco CSA 12.3%

Los Angeles CSA 9.8%
New York CSA 6.1%
Philadelphia CSA 5.2%
Dallas CSA 4.6%
Miami MSA 4.3%
Washington DC CSA 4.3%
Detroit CSA 4.1%
Chicago CSA 3.8%
Houston CSA 3.6%

You can't get more antithetical to marginalization than that. LOL

Second of all, the poverty rate among Blacks in the Bay Area is pretty much in the same level as most other Large Metro Areas.

Black Persons below Poverty Line, 2011 Census Estimate
Detroit CSA 35.2%
Chicago CSA 30.6%
Miami MSA 27.6%
Philadelphia 25.9%
Los Angeles 25.5%
Atlanta CSA 23.8%
San Francisco CSA 23.6%
Dallas CSA 23.1%
Houston CSA 23.0%
Boston CSA 22.7%
New York CSA 21.4%
Washington DC SA 16.3%

Thirdly, Black males in the Bay Area make more on average than in any other Large Metro Area.

Median Earnings, 2012
Full-Time Employed Black Men
1.--SAN FRANCISCO CSA $51,543

Washington DC CSA $50,274
Los Angeles CSA $47,962
New York CSA $42,463
Houston CSA $42,174
Chicago CSA $41,706
Dallas CSA $40,982
Philadelphia CSA $40,788
Atlanta CSA $40,217
Boston CSA $38,607
Detroit CSA 37,694
Miami MSA $31,714

And don't talk to me about cost-of-living because New York is expensive as hell and yet the average earnings of Black males there is almost 10 thousand dollars less than the Bay.

So you are all entitled to continue gleaning opinions on Blacks in California relying on stereotypes perpetuated by 1980s and 1990s South Central Bloods and Crips movies, ignorance is bliss.

But reality is something completely different.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Bayview-Hunter's Point doesn't make this list, but look at all the Southern and Midwestern cities that do.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And you're going to tell me that people in those 25 neighborhoods are not marginalized?

What I find so ironic is all of the fear mongering going on in this thread regarding SF, Seattle and LA, by people who apparently have totally forgotten the centuries of marginalization that occurred and continues to occur where they themselves live.

The views on Bay Area Blacks in C-D is so strange and 9 times out of 10, totally inaccurate.

First of all, Blacks in the Bay Area have a far greater likelihood of being biracial or interracial.

Blacks who are biracial or multiracial, 2010 Census
San Francisco CSA 12.3%

Los Angeles CSA 9.8%
New York CSA 6.1%
Philadelphia CSA 5.2%
Dallas CSA 4.6%
Miami MSA 4.3%
Washington DC CSA 4.3%
Detroit CSA 4.1%
Chicago CSA 3.8%
Houston CSA 3.6%

You can't get more antithetical to marginalization than that. LOL

Second of all, the poverty rate among Blacks in the Bay Area is pretty much in the same level as most other Large Metro Areas.

Black Persons below Poverty Line, 2011 Census Estimate
Detroit CSA 35.2%
Chicago CSA 30.6%
Miami MSA 27.6%
Philadelphia 25.9%
Los Angeles 25.5%
Atlanta CSA 23.8%
San Francisco CSA 23.6%
Dallas CSA 23.1%
Houston CSA 23.0%
Boston CSA 22.7%
New York CSA 21.4%
Washington DC SA 16.3%

Thirdly, Black males in the Bay Area make more on average than in any other Large Metro Area.

Median Earnings, 2012
Full-Time Employed Black Men
1.--SAN FRANCISCO CSA $51,543

Washington DC CSA $50,274
Los Angeles CSA $47,962
New York CSA $42,463
Houston CSA $42,174
Chicago CSA $41,706
Dallas CSA $40,982
Philadelphia CSA $40,788
Atlanta CSA $40,217
Boston CSA $38,607
Detroit CSA 37,694
Miami MSA $31,714

And don't talk to me about cost-of-living because New York is expensive as hell and yet the average earnings of Black males there is almost 10 thousand dollars less than the Bay.

So you are all entitled to continue gleaning opinions on Blacks in California relying on stereotypes perpetuated by 1980s and 1990s South Central Bloods and Crips movies, ignorance is bliss.

But reality is something completely different.
LOL, I like how you didn't even bother to make the distinction between MSA and CSA. Because when you start stating "CSA" in regards to the SF Bay area, that changes the game tremendously. When you're talking CSA, you're talking Santa Rosa, Vallejo, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Walnut Creek, etc. But I digress.

It's much easier to live in NYC on 50k, than it is to live anywhere in the Bay. And you most certainly could NOT live in San Francisco on 50k, not even feasible. Hell, I make over 6 figures, and SF would be too much for even me. You need to be at that 250k mark and up to even hang in their with SF. In case you can't do the match, 250k is 5x 50k. So yeah, 50k in San Fran is nothing. But even beyond that 50k ANYWHERE in the Bay Area isn't even livable. Maybe some parts of East Oakland, but like who really wants to live there. Oakland has been pretty gentrified in the last few years, but the rent is incredibly low. You may actually be able to get a one bedroom apartment for $1600 a month.

Now let's talk about NYC, the other expensive city. What's really expensive in NY is Manhattan. Now the prices there are insane. Other boroughs are definitely not cheap, but livable. You'd certainly go a lot further with 50k a year in a borough than Manhattan.

But hey you mentioned CSA, so all all is fair there. So let's talk about the actual city of San Francisco and it's reputation.

I'm not sure what's going on in Bayview-Hunter's Point these days. Considering how gentrified SF is these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't hit Bayview-Hunter's Point by now. And if it hasn't reached it now, it most certainly will in the next few years.

Now I'm not from the Bay Area originally, so I actually had to look up the area. Looks like pollution, poor housing structures, etc have plagued the area for years. This has been a reality of the area since the 60s, and has been that way for decades after. Even in the 1990s. Now in the 1990s SF was still considered the most progressive and tolerant cities in the country, but you still had people being born into heavy pollution in Hunter's Point. Now what does that tell you? Oh, and it doesn't help SF's case that majority of the residents in Hunter's Point are black either.

Now your point concerning multiracial kids. Who dates interracially. Reports have shown that mostly lower income people are likely to date interracially. And when you look around you, it appears to be true. I see blacks/Mexicans walking around with fat, toothless, trailer trash white women all day. Those people have babies, and as a result their kids are multiracial. But let's be real, the yuppies in San Fran aren't walking around having black/mexican babies. And only some yuppie is going to actually move to San Francisco and think they have a chance of living any real quality of life.

In conclusion, the whole idea that these hippy/liberal paradises are just oozing with racial tolerance is a farce. I'm not sure who came up with this, but whomever did has bamboozled a lot of people. I personally don't see it. I've been in Seattle, I live in the Bay Area. I'm not seeing it.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 06:13 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 01:56 PM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Perhaps, I was wrong. I've only been to Austin once, which is funny since I was born in Houston. Never had a chance to experience since I worked for a week and went home to Florida. I heard about the UT Austin students bleach bombing minorities and saw the demographics and assumed it wasn't a place to be. Btw by minority, do you mean Black, Hispanic, or Asian? Asian's are generally always accepted by whites unless your deep south.
I mean that can happen in Connecticut, Georgia, Seattle, anywhere. There are bigots everywhere, but Austin proper is very very accepting, progressive and liberal. It just doesn't come up.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
+1

And I'm proud to say it.

Cities like Seattle and San Francisco may be the general leaders in progressive and accepting attitudes, but that doesn't mean much when your group is poorly represented.

I've made my jokes about Dallas in the past, but I've noticed the city becoming more and more integrated with each trip I make up there.
oh please.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM

204 posts, read 309,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
LOL, I like how you didn't even bother to make the distinction between MSA and CSA. Because when you start stating "CSA" in regards to the SF Bay area, that changes the game tremendously. When you're talking CSA, you're talking Santa Rosa, Vallejo, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Walnut Creek, etc. But I digress.

It's much easier to live in NYC on 50k, than it is to live anywhere in the Bay. And you most certainly could NOT live in San Francisco on 50k, not even feasible. Hell, I make over 6 figures, and SF would be too much for even me. You need to be at that 250k mark and up to even hang in their with SF. In case you can't do the match, 250k is 5x 50k. So yeah, 50k in San Fran is nothing. But even beyond that 50k ANYWHERE in the Bay Area isn't even livable. Maybe some parts of East Oakland, but like who really wants to live there. Oakland has been pretty gentrified in the last few years, but the rent is incredibly low. You may actually be able to get a one bedroom apartment for $1600 a month.

Now let's talk about NYC, the other expensive city. What's really expensive in NY is Manhattan. Now the prices there are insane. Other boroughs are definitely not cheap, but livable. You'd certainly go a lot further with 50k a year in a borough than Manhattan.

But hey you mentioned CSA, so all all is fair there. So let's talk about the actual city of San Francisco and it's reputation.

I'm not sure what's going on in Bayview-Hunter's Point these days. Considering how gentrified SF is these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't hit Bayview-Hunter's Point by now. And if it hasn't reached it now, it most certainly will in the next few years.

Now I'm not from the Bay Area originally, so I actually had to look up the area. Looks like pollution, poor housing structures, etc have plagued the area for years. This has been a reality of the area since the 60s, and has been that way for decades after. Even in the 1990s. Now in the 1990s SF was still considered the most progressive and tolerant cities in the country, but you still had people being born into heavy pollution in Hunter's Point. Now what does that tell you? Oh, and it doesn't help SF's case that majority of the residents in Hunter's Point are black either.

Now your point concerning multiracial kids. Who dates interracially. Reports have shown that mostly lower income people are likely to date interracially. And when you look around you, it appears to be true. I see blacks/Mexicans walking around with fat, toothless, trailer trash white women all day. Those people have babies, and as a result their kids are multiracial. But let's be real, the yuppies in San Fran aren't walking around having black/mexican babies. And only some yuppie is going to actually move to San Francisco and think they have a chance of living any real quality of life.

In conclusion, the whole idea that these hippy/liberal paradises are just oozing with racial tolerance is a farce. I'm not sure who came up with this, but whomever did has bamboozled a lot of people. I personally don't see it. I've been in Seattle, I live in the Bay Area. I'm not seeing it.
I need some sources for that comment on interracial dating. It was very bigoted and I doubt you ever lived long In the bay area. In my High School junior class alone there was over 24 interracial couples. I would know I was one of them and had to do a project about it. We were also in a pretty middle class neighborhood...

San Francisco is a great place for anyone with a good attitude. It may not be a tolerant paradise, but it's most likely the closest thing we have in America.

Btw, yuppies are dating more interracially then ever before, so enjoy your bigoted stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City