U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,261 times

Advertisements

I grew up as a Latino in the state of North Carolina and racism there was pretty bad. You basically had

Black
White
and Mexican

No one wanted to be "Mexican" and even being Black had its setbacks. I remember going to swimming pools at the Y when people would stare me down. School was brutal because daily I heard the most racist jokes you can think of right to my face, even teachers said racist stuff to my face. Lets not even get down to things like hanging out with people of other races and dating other races, I held hands with a White girl once and I heard racist things in public for it.

I am in NYC right now and race relations here are better but I know it is not the best city to raise a family in. What is the best city to raise a family in? I don't want my kids to face the same racism that I did.

Standards being

- Kids of all races get along
- Lots of racial integration
- Interracial relationships are not seen as wrong and are actually common
- Parents have no issues with their kids being friends with other races
- The white population isn't as racist as that of North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,802,677 times
Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, and Austin seem like very progressive cities that anyone can fit in without judgement.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 PM

4,797 posts, read 4,235,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, and Austin seem like very progressive cities that anyone can fit in without judgement.
I don't agree that anyone can necessarily "fit in" to overwhelmingly white cities like Seattle or Portland. Really, being progressive means that open racism is not tolerated, but it doesn't really mean that there's much harmony or intermingling between races.

Each city has its own situation of race relations due to history and everything else. I can tell you that Chicago's black community is pretty separated from the white community in many ways, while white Chicagoans are definitely more accepting of Latinos than cities in the South and Southwest (based on stories I've heard... Really, I don't know anyone who cares about illegal immigration or thinks that people speaking Spanish is some personal threat).

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM

565 posts, read 563,412 times
Seattle is colorblind and welcomes all who can handle it.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,946,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post

Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Nowhere is totally void of this sort of tension because it's human nature to notice what makes you different from someone else.

That said, Northern California has an extremely high number of middle class towns that have no racial majority and are quite integrated. Perfect? No that doesn't exist, but as close as you will come to having acceptance of differences, perhaps the stretch of freeway between SF and Sacramento might be worth a look.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nowhere is totally void of this sort of tension because it's human nature to notice what makes you different from someone else.

That said, Northern California has an extremely high number of middle class towns that have no racial majority and are quite integrated. Perfect? No that doesn't exist, but as close as you will come to having acceptance of differences, perhaps the stretch of freeway between SF and Sacramento might be worth a look.
Basically and I'd add certain communities in the NYC metro like West Orange, Montclair, White Plains, New Rochelle, Baldwin, Valley Stream, Nyack, Bloomfield, Ossining, Teaneck, Englewood, Hackensack, Rahway and Wheatley Heights, among others, that would work. There are other communities across this country that are similar to the places listed and 18Montclair mentioned.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 AM

204 posts, read 249,492 times
Austin?? Lol? Progressive City that is hardly opened minded when it comes to race.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,443,929 times
Dallas & Houston instantly come to mind.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM

542 posts, read 1,405,361 times
San Francisco is colorblind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or