U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 9,374 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. My family and I are looking to move. We currently reside in Louisville, KY in the urban areas of said city. We are wanting to move to a larger city with better schools and more sports/athletic opportunities. We have narrowed it down to these 5 cities and I know that each has problems with crime and everything in certain neighborhoods. So, I'm not looking for that information. We have friends and family in all of those cities that can help to stear us away from certain neighborhoods.

Our family consists of my wife, 6 year old daughter, 2 year old daughter, and myself. We do enjoy going to church, but do not go to an evangelical/charismatic church. We prefer the older traditions in the faith. I was born in LA so I have family out there. My wife's family is all near where we live now. We would like a city with good public transportation and we differ on weather wants. We are both very flexible and go with the flow type of people who don't get our feathers ruffled very easily. We want to raise our girls in a welcoming and diverse environment.

Employment: My wife works for a company that has locations around the world and they have several locations in each of these cities. I am about to graduate with a CS degree and am looking for an IT job and preferably one doing software engineering of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,597,294 times
Tough call! All of the cities that you've mentioned would be excellent choices for what you're looking for.

Dallas would be the cheapest for your family, followed by Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and LA, in that order.

Since you have two children to worry about, I think LA would be very difficult to find a good public school system unless you're able to live in the rich areas. You said you have family in LA; what part of LA do they live in? If you can manage to live anywhere on the Westside, Pasadena, Glendale, Diamond Bar, and other nicer areas of LA, then yes go for LA. Since your daughters are still young, I think they'll be fine if you live in a not-so-nice part of LA as long as you manage to find a job and move them to a better city with a better school before they reach middle school.

I will warn you, you're going to be having a lot of unmarried twenty-something year old boys who don't have any real responsibilities recommend that you move to big urban cities and live in a studio apartment downtown, but honestly, you need to think about your family first and foremost.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM

485 posts, read 695,034 times
Dallas would definitely be the most affordable and you'll get the biggest bang for your buck as far as housing goes. But if it was me, I would choose Boston. The city has a lot of great suburbs which would be ideal for raising a family, most of which aren't terribly far from public transportation. Massachusetts has a reputation for great schools, especially when it comes to universities.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,547,276 times
If you are getting an IT degree then Seattle may be one to take consideration with. Good public transit within the city limits, cheap compared to most cities on the list, growing city with awesome summers. Plus being on the west coast does allow you to be alot closer to your family to visit.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,374 times
thanks for the advice so far. Yeah, we know that Dallas is definately the cheapest city on our list. But, it also has the worst transportation system. LA we are definately looking Whittier or Woodland Hills/Reseda areas. That's where my family is out there. But, yeah the schools are terrible in certain parts of LA, and Chicago has among the worst public school system (rated) in the country. Btw I know that in Chicago as in LA there are areas of good public schools. And, I know that in general Mass has AWESOME schools. I think they are usually rated the best public school system in the country. But, what parts of Boston would you suggest? Also, Devan what parts of Seattle?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,346,655 times
Chicago
Boston
LA
Seattle
Dallas

Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,595,017 times
LA
Seattle

Not interest in the rest

Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM

7,200 posts, read 4,639,763 times
Chicago, chitown, chicagoland, windycity, the city of big shoulders, chicago

Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM

930 posts, read 1,238,616 times
Dallas is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

If you want to live in a truly dynamic city, then Los Angeles, Boston, Seattle and Chicago are all good options and it's all about personal preference in regards to things like weather and types of culture.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:49 PM

485 posts, read 695,034 times
In Boston I'd look in Dover, Lexington, Newton, Concord or something like that. Those have the best schools but there are certainly other good ones other than those
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or