U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: St. Louis vs Baltimore
St. Louis 16 38.10%
Baltimore 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,737,714 times

Advertisements

Comparison inspired by this comparison:

Meet me in Saint Louis - YouTube

vs

Hairspray - Good Morning Baltimore (Official Music Video) - YouTube

So which city has the best female musical number?

(no but seriously, feel free to use any types of criteria for a comparison.)
(arts, food, scenery/location, vibrancy, economy, parks, appearance, whose trees have more leaves and all that jazz)

I personally have only been to the suburbs of Baltimore; I've never been to Saint Louis.
So, I'm not going to vote, but it be nice to hear how people think these cities compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,006,833 times
The suburbs of Baltimore ain't nothing like the city itself, nothing alike AT ALL.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:51 AM

7,245 posts, read 5,532,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
The suburbs of Baltimore ain't nothing like the city itself, nothing alike AT ALL.
Is that good or bad?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Is that good or bad?
It probably depends. Even though I'm from Suburban DC, I'm willing to bet that Suburban Baltimore, and Baltimore County most especially, would probably prefer to disassociate themselves from Baltimore City as much as possible. Kind of like Detroit and its suburbs or in the case of this thread, St. Louis City and St. Louis County.....See the parallel?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,570,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It probably depends. Even though I'm from Suburban DC, I'm willing to bet that Suburban Baltimore, and Baltimore County most especially, would probably prefer to disassociate themselves from Baltimore City as much as possible. Kind of like Detroit and its suburbs or in the case of this thread, St. Louis City and St. Louis County.....See the parallel?
They already have lol. St. Louis and Baltimore are two of only three independent cities in the country outside of Virginia. The counties only share a name.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 65,949 times
both cities suck.
I've been to Baltimore, it's ghetto as hell.
I've never been to ST.Louis but its always on the most dangerous city list, so it cant be much better.
I willl say this though, at least baltimore is close to cities like DC, Philly, Bethesda.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
They already have lol. St. Louis and Baltimore are two of only three independent cities in the country outside of Virginia. The counties only share a name.
Lol Yeah, that's true. Baltimore City and County can be worlds apart at times.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 PM

854 posts, read 992,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordswank412 View Post
both cities suck.
I've been to Baltimore, it's ghetto as hell.
I've never been to ST.Louis but its always on the most dangerous city list, so it cant be much better.
I willl say this though, at least baltimore is close to cities like DC, Philly, Bethesda.
You sound like a very sophisticated person.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,333,628 times
This is a great match.

Amenities: Baltimore. More Hotel rooms. More convention space. Larger Airport. Close to D.C.

Museums/Attractions: Baltimore. Harbor Place.

Shopping: St. Louis. Not even close. Many more upscale and high end shopping areas as well as neat boutiques.

Arts: Baltimore. The whole city has an artsy vibe, especially the downtown and midtown areas.

Restaurants: St. Louis. Fine dining, meat and three, soul food, whatever you want.

Character: Tie. St. Louis nightlife. Baltimore daylife. Both cities have their fair share of grit.

Economy: Baltimore. Baltimore has the higher GDP. However, St. Louis has Nine fortune 500 hundred companies and higher incomes per capita. Both have identical unemployment rates.

Crime: St. Louis has much higher crime and almost always makes the ten most dangerous list. :-(

Parks: St. Louis. Arch and many parks in the city.

Topography: St. Louis

Big City Feel: Baltimore. Considerably more urban and dense.

Diversity/Culture: Baltimore.

Road Network: Baltimore. Fresh newly paved interstates and gridded boulevards make for easy travel around the city. St. Louis interstates/roads are full of potholes and construction barrels.

Mass Transit: St. Louis. Better bus and light rail systems with more ridership.

Close match indeed.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 AM

854 posts, read 992,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
This is a great match.

Amenities: Baltimore. More Hotel rooms. More convention space. Larger Airport. Close to D.C.

Museums/Attractions: Baltimore. Harbor Place.

Shopping: St. Louis. Not even close. Many more upscale and high end shopping areas as well as neat boutiques.

Arts: Baltimore. The whole city has an artsy vibe, especially the downtown and midtown areas.

Restaurants: St. Louis. Fine dining, meat and three, soul food, whatever you want.

Character: Tie. St. Louis nightlife. Baltimore daylife. Both cities have their fair share of grit.

Economy: Baltimore. Baltimore has the higher GDP. However, St. Louis has Nine fortune 500 hundred companies and higher incomes per capita. Both have identical unemployment rates.

Crime: St. Louis has much higher crime and almost always makes the ten most dangerous list. :-(

Parks: St. Louis. Arch and many parks in the city.

Topography: St. Louis

Big City Feel: Baltimore. Considerably more urban and dense.

Diversity/Culture: Baltimore.

Road Network: Baltimore. Fresh newly paved interstates and gridded boulevards make for easy travel around the city. St. Louis interstates/roads are full of potholes and construction barrels.

Mass Transit: St. Louis. Better bus and light rail systems with more ridership.

Close match indeed.
I would agree with much of this, but there are some points I take issue with.

1) St. Louis has a larger convention center (502,000 sq. ft) than Baltimore (300,000 sq. ft).

2) And while St. Louis might look "more dangerous" on paper, in fact it feels safer than Baltimore. Both cities suffer from misconceptions about their crime rates.

3) I would argue that City Museum and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis are more impressive attractions than anything in Baltimore, including (and especially) Harbor Place.

4) While St. Louis's light rail system (MetroLink) does have a higher ridership than Baltimore's light rail system, I think it's hard to ignore the fact that Baltimore is linked up to DC and Philly via MARC commuter rail and Amtrak's Acela line. Overall I think Baltimore's transit situation is a notch above STL, although St. Louis is certainly impressive for a relatively isolated major city in the Midwest.

5) Baltimore probably wins in diversity, given its East Coast location and proximity to other major cities, but I think culture is a draw. Both cities are extremely rich with culture and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or