Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 134 33.17%
Houston 123 30.45%
Seattle 147 36.39%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:35 AM

470 posts, read 454,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Besides age, density in the U.S. is often the result of demand and land availability. Seattle is a narrow isthmus with a very hilly terrain. San Francisco is a peninsula with steep hills. Manhattan is an island. Boston was essentially an island with a large portion of the city today built on landfill.

For the most part, Sunbelt cities don't have physical impediments or a scarcity in land. Part of the reason LA surpassed SF as California's most populous city was the sheer size of the LA Basin, which has relatively flat lands not impeded by hills.
Yes, but that would only affect how the city/metro expands, not necessarily whether or not it can be walkable. You can have an uber-expansive, yet walkable, city (see London). Auto-centric Sunbelt sprawl is such a waste for cities like LA or Houston, which have good year-round walking weather compared to the northern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:46 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
If I were to move from Boston, Seattle would probably be at the top of my list for a relocation, however, I do think that the lack of sun is a big problem, people really underestimate the importance of sunny days on mental health.

I have never been to Houston but it has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 AM

591 posts, read 820,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If I were to move from Boston, Seattle would probably be at the top of my list for a relocation, however, I do think that the lack of sun is a big problem, people really underestimate the importance of sunny days on mental health.

I have never been to Houston but it has no appeal to me whatsoever.
Boston and Seattle's average number of sunny days per year aren't that drastically different you know.
I highly doubt someone's mental health would change going from Boston to Seattle or vice versa...

Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Boston and Seattle's average number of sunny days per year aren't that drastically different you know.
I highly doubt someone's mental health would change going from Boston to Seattle or vice versa...
After a quick Google search, it appears that less than half the days of the year are sunny in Seattle (~150 days/year) and over half the days of the year are sunny in Boston (~200 days/year).

Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Going further with this, that is the type of city the US is missing; a truly walkable, warm climate major city. Los Angeles is the closest thing to this, and, even then, it has some serious lapses that need addressing. San Francisco is mild, but not truly a "warm" city. All the other major Sunbelt cities either sprawl too much, just aren't walk friendly, or even combine both.

Australia, China, Japan, and Brazil all developed their warm climate large cities into walkable paradises (Brisbane, Shanghai, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, respectively); time for the US to do the same with Miami, Los Angeles, and Houston.
I like the point you're making here, but neither Shanghai or Tokyo are warm climate cities. They're both warmer than NYC, but 50 degree highs and 33 degree lows in the winter doesn't make a city a warm climate one.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
Which do you prefer?

Weather
- Houston: Winter
- Seattle: Summer
- Boston: Spring (maybe) and Fall (for sure)
Traffic
- Houston (but getting worse quickly)
Public Transportation
- Boston
Outdoor Recreation
- Seattle, hands down
Safety (crime)
- I haven't had good luck with this in Houston, so maybe Seattle
Safety (natural disaster)
- Boston (Houston has hurricanes and Seattle has earthquakes)
Job Market
- Almost changes as quickly as the weather, right now maybe Seattle, but if oil prices go back up (which they will) then Houston
Diversity
- Houston (racial climate is very good compared to most American cities)
People
- I grew up in the Northwest, but live in Houston. I'll go with Seattle due to less apparent class stratification. Bostonian transplants at work have been the best, though - and always enjoyed the folks there during my visits (except for one at a massively expensive parking garage in downtown)

Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM

591 posts, read 820,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
After a quick Google search, it appears that less than half the days of the year are sunny in Seattle (~150 days/year) and over half the days of the year are sunny in Boston (~200 days/year).
Right. And Boston gets more rainfall and significantly more snow (inches)

And people will mention that Seattle drizzles WAY more.... quick Google search as well:
Days per year with precipitation - Seattle: 152 days
Days per year with precipitation - Boston:137 days

Not as different as one might think... and this conversation isn't even including temperatures.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Yes, but that would only affect how the city/metro expands, not necessarily whether or not it can be walkable. You can have an uber-expansive, yet walkable, city (see London). Auto-centric Sunbelt sprawl is such a waste for cities like LA or Houston, which have good year-round walking weather compared to the northern cities.
LA's walking weather is good except for a few too hot weeks in Aug/Sept. Houston has decent winter weather when it's not raining, but about 1/3 of the days are rainy in winter. It is awfully hot/humid from May to early October. That why all the stadiums in Houston have roofs and why all the buildings downtown are connected by air conditioned tunnels- no one wants to be outside there for a large part of the year. Except for a few crazy boosters, most of us native Houstonians agree Houston is in the running for worst summer weather in the US. Would I rather live in Houston weather if I could drive than Boston weather, yes. Given the choice between walking year-round in Boston's weather vs Houston's, I would choose Boston's. It might be cold in Boston during winter, but at least I wouldn't be soaked in sweat and need a shower every time I walked a block during the summer. This applies to most of the sun-belt, and is as much of a cause as an effect of the auto-centric development.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Days per year with precipitation - Seattle: 152 days
Days per year with precipitation - Boston:137 days
Numbers don't tell the whole story. Seattle weather is grey and horrid. People are jumping from buildings every day it's so goddamn depressing.... Boston's 137 days of precip, many days it rain or snow for a few minutes. but, fronts pass quick. Our summers are nothing short of amazing. Winters are what you make them to be. i'm out every day running, chopping wood, skiing and surfing. We've had almost zero cloudy days this year. It hasn't rained in 6 months. It's so bad, the rattlesnakes are roaming Boston streets in search of water. God that sucked.

Now let's get down to business about this crap about the great outdoors in Seattle being so much better than New England.

New England's Secret Surf Club: Storm Chasing on the East Coast - Men's Journal

Cape Cod holding double overhead perfection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J_B4QqBkVI

Rhode Island holding double overhead ++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOvAsQq3Aw

Last edited by odurandina; 08-16-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 12:05 PM

515 posts, read 558,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Which do you prefer?

Weather
Traffic
Public Transportation
Outdoor Recreation
Safety (crime)
Safety (natural disaster)
Job Market
Diversity
People
Weather - Houston
Traffic - Houston
P.T. - Seattle
Outdoor Rec - Seattle
Crime - Boston
Natural Disaster - tie, Boston/Seattle
Job Market - tie Seattle/Houston
Diversity - Houston
People - Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City