Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 134 33.17%
Houston 123 30.45%
Seattle 147 36.39%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM

444 posts, read 324,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Calling temps in the 80s ridiculous heat is ridiculous.
IF YOU ADD IN HUMIDITY, it is not, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 04:14 PM

431 posts, read 521,125 times
Quote:
In normal cities yes...but it cities like Houston where the humidity is extreme and oppressive then no that's not a ridiculous statement. In a lot of cities 89 feels like 89 or relatively speaking. Take this coming Sunday for instance. It will be a high of 83 with 60% humidity which feels like 86 once you calculate the heat index. This Sunday Houston will be a high of 89 with 70% humidity, which feels like 103 with heat index calculated. So not only will it feel like 103 outside it will be sticky and completely uncomfortable.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Really?

Seattle:

Houston:

Boston Subway:

Boston with Commuter Rail:

There are many debatable categories between these cities, but public transit really isn't one of them.
+1

Got to give credit where it is due. The T is amazing, for what it is.

And I generally hate public transportation. But.. At this time, im kinda sorta on it, so. The T does rock, whether I like it or not.

Yes, yes, yes.... cost of car ownership vs T, etc. But thats not the debate. Car still gives you freedoms a public thing NEVER could. I dislike public transportation... and the T is incredible (ly good.)

Now.. unrelated: What I see happening here is that the Southerners in the thread love their city's weather, and fervently defend; as do the PNWers and the New Englanders. I see nothing wrong with any of those three. Lets be open-minded and tolerant. Yes we can.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
In normal cities yes...but it cities like Houston where the humidity is extreme and oppressive then no that's not a ridiculous statement. In a lot of cities 89 feels like 89 or relatively speaking. Take this coming Sunday for instance. It will be a high of 83 with 60% humidity which feels like 86 once you calculate the heat index. This Sunday Houston will be a high of 89 with 70% humidity, which feels like 103 with heat index calculated. So not only will it feel like 103 outside it will be sticky and completely uncomfortable.
Quote:
Point, set, match.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:15 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
I will take 88 degrees with 70% humidity over 35 degrees with moderate wind any day of the week. I love cold weather but the heat just slightly more.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

It's too hot for sustained outdoor activities. I'd much rather have 50s and 60s. When its in the 80s I'm going to be in front of the A/C more often than not. It also gets into the 90s and above down there regularly. Downright dangerous. It does in Boston as well, but not too too often. You can always put on a coat when it gets down in the 30s and below, and people do and are outdoors all year long, skiing, hiking, etc. There is no escaping heat when outside. Sorry, no way is Texas good for outdoor activities.
When it's below 30, people I know aren't trying to be outside no more than a few minutes. People are probably less in front of the A/C in the 80s than they are in front of the heater in the 20s. I haven't a clue why people think Houston is hot year round or that it's 80 degrees or higher with high humidity year round. People love to fish at high temps, go out to the pools or beaches. Run, rafting, etc. etc. You think people are just up in their homes all summer in these cities? Crazy.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,280,906 times
None of these cities should be talking about weather.

Boston: cold winters, shorter days in winter
Seattle: overcast skies for extended periods of time
Houston: humid summers

None of these would be considered to have overall better weather than the others. It's all down to personal preference.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

None of these would be considered to have overall better weather than the others. It's all down to personal preference.
Exactly. But then I see people act like Houston isn't normal. Many hot and humid cities throughout the world. It's just as normal as the next.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 PM

219 posts, read 172,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I will take 88 degrees with 70% humidity over 35 degrees with moderate wind any day of the week. I love cold weather but the heat just slightly more.
I agree with you fully, can not deal with anything below 60 and now that I am getting older it's worse. Give me some heat and humidity please.

I just like to add that my garden here in Houston is loaded of all kinds of tropical fruits. My papaya trees are loaded with papayas, my two persimmon trees doing great, I have already harvested tons of figs. I am waiting for my navel oranges for later next month and around October I will be harvesting Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot grapes.
Thank Houston for your tropical weather, it just keeps on giving.

Again, I can not deal with icy roads, dirty snow, and freezing weather, it is not only ugly but it is dangerous and treacherous.

By the way I have never heard schools and businesses being closed because it is too hot.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 PM

470 posts, read 454,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
The North sees summer humidity as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Two things:
1.) The entire Eastern US sees heat and humidity in summer.

2.) The heat index will not take into account Gulf breeze, cloud cover, etc, which can alleviate any uncomfort seen in Houston during summer. Also, when afternoon temps are at their highest, the relative humidity will be at its lowest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

Only except that Houston's is far more conducive to outdoor fun year-round than the other two cities (especially Boston).

The reason is that the summers, although hot and humid still allow for just plain outdoor leisure in general; you will just have people out enjoying life, relaxing at the park, restaurants, etc. Daytime temps can be hot, but they go down by evening.

In contrast, the winter cold in Seattle and, especially, Boston doesn't allow for such calm, relaxed, enjoyable leisure outdoors; it is too nippy during the day, at best, and it only gets colder at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City