Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 134 33.17%
Houston 123 30.45%
Seattle 147 36.39%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
It is pretty weird that this thread has turned into Chicago vs. Houston, but because you asked: My understanding is that Chicago is losing population largely because of a mass exodus by its low-income black residents. Certainly this is a demographic that exists in both Houston and Chicago, but for whatever reason, in Chicago they're doing something about a perceived hopelessness and actually packing up and leaving, many for parts of the South where they have family histories.
Yup that this is the biggest reason. Upper middle class and rich are moving into the city of Chicago. Chicago is bleeding low income blacks, and some middle class family.

Unfortunately, Chicago is becoming more like Boston, DC, SF, becoming a city for the $$$ and there are a lot of middle class and lower income people in Chicago that can't afford or make it in Chicago anymore. In this regard Houston has the advantage over Chicago, as its very affordable and jobs for the middle class and lower income folks are more plentiful.

Chicago is really a tale of two cities. The northside is the equivalent in size of population and land about the size of San Francisco, and it's very much like San Francisco, DC, Boston in it's growth and how its booming. The southside equivalent in size as the northside but larger in land is more like Detroit, poor for the most part, and it was being abandoned.

So Chicago is a very unique position as it's booming in one half of the city, and being fled in the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
i'll take a stab. It's only a guess, and i haven't really researched it. And i could be way off base - or it might even true: One reason the haves and the have nots' chasm keeps widening; If you live in a thriving metropolis that increasingly, favors talented people... and you're not increasing your value, you might just up and move to Milwaukee, St Louis or umm Houston. It's cruel to say it. But a lot of people are screwed. And the big city just isn't their friend anymore (if it ever really was).
Pretty much. If you are college educated, middle class, but moreso upper middle class to wealthy, Chicago fits you perfectly. Careers in marketing, business, finance, advertising, technology, etc, are plentiful. Jobs in manufacturing or other blue collar job types are becoming extinct. In that sense Chicago has become more like cities like SF, Boston or DC, no longer a city where all walks of life can make it easily.

Home prices keep rising so much that you if you are middle class you will be hard pressed to find a decent home in a good neighborhood. In this regard Houston has the upper hand and one of the reasons people are flocking there. I don't think it's because anyone finds Houston that interesting. Everyone I know who has moved there has moved because of jobs and COL.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
It is pretty weird that this thread has turned into Chicago vs. Houston, but because you asked: My understanding is that Chicago is losing population largely because of a mass exodus by its low-income black residents. Certainly this is a demographic that exists in both Houston and Chicago, but for whatever reason, in Chicago they're doing something about a perceived hopelessness and actually packing up and leaving, many for parts of the South where they have family histories.
Ouch. Right between the eyes!

You guys are falling on your swords today. You're the balls.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Chicago and Boston are great cities but there's some hostility that happens when another city is on it's tail. I remember hearing stories how alot of people got upset when LA surpassed Chicago. Now Houston is gaining on Chicago so there talking crap about it. Who cares if it's more suburban? It is what it is. Maybe Chicago and Illinois could take lessons from Texas on how to become a better business climate.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Chicago and Boston are great cities but there's some hostility that happens when another city is on it's tail. I remember hearing stories how alot of people got upset when LA surpassed Chicago. Now Houston is gaining on Chicago so there talking crap about it. Who cares if it's more suburban? It is what it is. Maybe Chicago and Illinois could take lessons from Texas on how to become a better business climate.
Naw I think you are overestimating that. Sure it would sting to lose that status, but most people here in Chicago rather be ranked lower in population and be like SF, Boston or Philly, than Houston, Phoenix or Dallas.

If you were to pose this question to your average Chicagoan: "Would you prefer that Chicago becomes more like Houston and holds it 3rd largest city status or would you prefer that Chicago stay dense, urban and hold it's current identity but be ranked 6th in population, I bet most Chicagaoans would prefer to have the smaller population.

Any way Houston better be careful, because getting too big, with lacking public transportation, spread out city and lack of zoning, can be dangerous. It can turn into a hot mess. Imagine if there was a gas shortage, that city would have problems like crazy.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Naw I think you are overestimating that. Sure it would sting to lose that status, but most people here in Chicago rather be ranked lower in population and be like SF, Boston or Philly, than Houston, Phoenix or Dallas.

If you were to pose this question to your average Chicagoan: "Would you prefer that Chicago becomes more like Houston and holds it 3rd largest city status or would you prefer that Chicago stay dense, urban and hold it's current identity but be ranked 6th in population, I bet most Chicagaoans would prefer to have the smaller population.

Any way Houston better be careful, because getting too big, with lacking public transportation, spread out city and lack of zoning, can be dangerous. It can turn into a hot mess. Imagine if there was a gas shortage, that city would have problems like crazy.
If there was a gas shortage, it would affect every US city like crazy. A shortage of oil affects more than the cars on the street.

Houston is also becoming more dense inside the Loop. So yeah, you'll continue to have the suburban sprawl but there are also options for urban living inside the city as well.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I'm honestly shocked Boston is last in the poll

Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
If there was a gas shortage, it would affect every US city like crazy. A shortage of oil affects more than the cars on the street.

Houston is also becoming more dense inside the Loop. So yeah, you'll continue to have the suburban sprawl but there are also options for urban living inside the city as well.
Yeah I seen a site that as of 2014, the inner loop population has a population of 490k. That puts the density at around 5100 per sq. mile. Still suburban but increasing. Now the density is increasing but the actually urbanity needs to improve with this and this leads back to the article I posted. No longer will you see Houston building ranch style homes inside the loop anymore. Anything new will be dense whether it be townhomes or SFH's close to each other with very little yards if any. Something like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7697...7i13312!8i6656

or this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7393...7i13312!8i6656

It sucks that the last five pages or so turned into a discussion filled with nothing. Nothing constructive. Just bashing.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM

431 posts, read 521,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Agreed

Boston VS Houston

philly vs boston vs atlanta vs houston vs dallas vs miami vs twin cities

Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
One reason why Boston could be loosing is that a lot of people who would normally have voted for Boston probably went with Seattle. Those who like Urban, walkable, liberal cities that aren't as hot are clearly going to choose both Seattle and Boston over Houston. Seattle is by far a crowd favorite on City-data and in real life, so it will most likely steal a lot of votes from Boston. Houston has no city that shares similar qualities to it on this thread. If you added Dallas or Atlanta to the poll then I'm sure that those cities would steal some votes from Houston. You take away Seattle from this poll and make it a Boston vs. Houston poll and I can guarantee you that Boston would be winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City