Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No, you're just making stuff up. I never had a premise that compared teenagers and hipsters; you did.

Yes, and that specific group is the entire globe. Everywhere from Osaka to Oslo, you will see specific references to Brooklyn as a trendy commodity within the context of NYC. Malibu has no such specific referencing.

And this statement is UNQUESTIONABLY nonsense. Malibu is an amorphous term and not even commonly referenced with LA. It's a car and a beach somewhere, and that's only for those who have heard of it.
Oh, more backtracking I see?

Ultimately it boils down to the 2 groups you yourself introduced into the conversation.

Hipsters arent even in the same planet as teenagers when it comes to demographics the mainstreal media covets.

And therein lies the differece, hipsters are on the periphery and teens are one of the biggest target groups.

Brooklyn and everything it embodies is an afterthought to most teens compared to what Malibu represents.

Be it Osaka, Oslo or whereever.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Why do you feel the need to bash Los Angeles so much? There is certainly little-to-no bashing of NYC going on here, and in fact most of the LA posters (such as myself) voted for NYC.

Read all of my posts. I am moving back to LA in January. I'm not trying to bash LA at all. I am just getting frustrated with some of the nonsense coming from some posters. Like saying Malibu is more iconic/ famous than Brooklyn. Come on man. The dude needs help. I actually stated that my girl friend would love to live in NYC, when I took her there a week ago, but at this stage in the game, I need something a little more laid back like LA. I personally love LA. But I'm not delusional to its problems. Like I said, I'm moving back in January. LA fits me personally, but it definitely is over-rated and it definitely is starting to feel more like Mexico. That's just the way I feel. But overall it's these comparisons that are ridiculous. I mean really Malibu, more well known/ Iconic than Brooklyn. All I know is I want what he's smoking!

Bottom line. The scariest thing of all of this, is that I think he believes it. That's crazy as he ll!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Ultimately it boils down to the 2 groups you yourself introduced into the conversation.

Hipsters arent even in the same planet as teenagers when it comes to demographics the mainstreal media covets.

And therein lies the differece, hipsters are on the periphery and teens are one of the biggest target groups.

Brooklyn and everything it embodies is an afterthought to most teens compared to what Malibu represents.

Be it Osaka, Oslo or whereever.

The last time I'm quoting you, because quoting crazy is getting well-crazy. It's nice to know that you have the authority to speak for EVERYONE in this world. Right now I live on the east coast. NY state. I can assure you nobody gives two licks about Malibu. We have our own beaches. But I can tell you (and I will speak for most people with a normal brain), Brooklyn and Malibu should never ever be compared. Malibu is a tiny strip of beach with a few rich people. Brooklyn has almost as many people as Los Angeles itself. Most people (myself included) think of Brooklyn as the coolest borough within the coolest city in the United States. Those who have been to NYC enough times to know that Manhattan is for the tourists. The real fun is in the boroughs. Use that to your knowledge, so that when you act like you know everything, at least you will know one thing that is correct.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,493 times
Quote:
No, actually no backtracking.
Quote:
No, I didn't introduce "groups in the conversation". You made that up.
Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about, but Brooklyn is 100x more famous to hipsters, teenagers, grandmas, fisherman, chimney sweepers, mall santa clauses, ramen noodle chefs, outback poachers, bigfoot hunters, etc. It's more famous to almost everyone. It's one of the most iconic parts of the world's most iconic city.
Quote:
If you say so, but this has nothing to do the relative name recognition of Brooklyn or Malibu.
Quote:
Which is a stupid statement, of course. Malibu represents nothing to most. Brooklyn is known to almost all (excepting perhaps people hiding in caves in Pakistan or something).

Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
The last time I'm quoting you, because quoting crazy is getting well-crazy. It's nice to know that you have the authority to speak for EVERYONE in this world. Right now I live on the east coast. NY state. I can assure you nobody gives two licks about Malibu. We have our own beaches. But I can tell you (and I will speak for most people with a normal brain), Brooklyn and Malibu should never ever be compared. Malibu is a tiny strip of beach with a few rich people. Brooklyn has almost as many people as Los Angeles itself. Most people (myself included) think of Brooklyn as the coolest borough within the coolest city in the United States. Those who have been to NYC enough times to know that Manhattan is for the tourists. The real fun is in the boroughs. Use that to your knowledge, so that when you act like you know everything, at least you will know one thing that is correct.
I agree with all of this 1000%. I can't even believe this Brooklyn-Malibu thing is real right now… Wow.

Malibu = rich celebrity beach houses to people on this coast. No different than the Hamptons. I'm sure Malibu is beautiful, I have nothing against it, but saying it's better and more well known than Brooklyn? WOW. The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the most iconic bridges in the world. It's a landmark that comes up when one thinks of NYC, especially tourists. It's one of the must-sees…. and that's just the bridge.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
I wouldn't consider Malibu even in the top 100 most recognizable places in the country. Any decent size city - Cleveland or Denver or Pittsburgh - carries far more international name recognition than Malibu. For one, these cities have well known sports teams from professional leagues with global following. Secondly, anyone possessing even a rudimentary grasp of geography - and people outside of the US tend to be much more geographically savvy than Americans -- is likely to recognize most major American cities simply from looking at a map or studying a little bit of American history. Malibu?? Why would someone in Europe or Asia who doesn't watch Million Dollar Listing or read celebrity gossip know anything about Malibu?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree with all of this 1000%. I can't even believe this Brooklyn-Malibu thing is real right now… Wow.

Malibu = rich celebrity beach houses to people on this coast. No different than the Hamptons. I'm sure Malibu is beautiful, I have nothing against it, but saying it's better and more well known than Brooklyn? WOW. The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the most iconic bridges in the world. It's a landmark that comes up when one thinks of NYC, especially tourists. It's one of the must-sees…. and that's just the bridge.
I don't see what is so hard to believe that a place that has lent its name to multiple brands, as mentioned before, could possibly be more well-known than Brooklyn. I do think that the image people have when they hear "Brooklyn" is more defined than the image they have when they hear "Malibu". Personally I have no idea if internationally one is better known than the other, nor do I care all that much.

And I am pretty sure nobody said that Malibu is "better" than Brooklyn. How would you even measure that?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
The Brooklyn Bridge? Who cares, it's a bridge.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't see what is so hard to believe that a place that has lent its name to multiple brands, as mentioned before, could possibly be more well-known than Brooklyn. I do think that the image people have when they hear "Brooklyn" is more defined than the image they have when they hear "Malibu". Personally I have no idea if internationally one is better known than the other, nor do I care all that much.

And I am pretty sure nobody said that Malibu is "better" than Brooklyn. How would you even measure that?
How can better even be measured? For me, I would much rather live in Malibu over Brooklyn any day of the week. Having the beach, great weather, great hiking trails and mountain ranges near me? Plus the city not too far away if I want that? Yes please. Brooklyn? LOL no.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times

We have some delusional people here, I see. Sad, really. Well, I just popped in to comment on this mess, now I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City