Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 AM

485 posts, read 866,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Taschen [art book publisher] stores. In the US, only found in NYC and LA. In New York City:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=TASCH...rvo-jiBVuCkTRQ

old school urban. In Los Angeles. One in Beverly Hills:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=354+N...24.49,,0,-3.35

suburban downtown. And one in Hollywood:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=TASCH...56.88,,0,-1.16

strip mall.
That's not a strip mall. The "Hollywood" Taschen store is located in the historic LA landmark Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax (and adjacent to The Grove).
The Original Farmers Market

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
That's not a strip mall. The "Hollywood" Taschen store is located in the historic LA landmark Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax (and adjacent to The Grove).
Yeah, dismissing the Farmers Market as a "strip mall" in a discussion about respective icons of NY and LA is kinda revealing.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Yeah, dismissing the Farmers Market as a "strip mall" in a discussion about respective icons of NY and LA is kinda revealing.
I wasn't dismissing it. I looked at the street view. It appeared to be a strip mall. I don't know much about the area.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,402,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
It's essentially a strip mall, albeit a very nice one.

The Grove/Farmers Market complex is an outdoor mall, surrounded by parking. It's quite nice and cosmopolitan, and a big step over your usual mall (for one, the Farmers Market has great food; for another, the Grove has weekend live entertainment, everyday celebrity sightings and the stores tend to be flagship-sized), but the whole complex is a mall. People drive there, park in the lots (or in that big garage behind the Grove) do their business, and leave.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,402,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I'd say the responses to the statement are even more revealing. It's a mall, folks.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
And actually I dont know why the topic of strip malld is presented as a bad thing, most people around the world dont dream about riding a subway or bus. They all have dream cars they wish to someday own and drive around in-the origins of that was in Los Angeles and the auto oriented lifestyle that began in LA signaled one of the biggest shifts in urban planning, residential planning, commercial planning in history.

This is an LA-originated trend that has left US borders and has replicated and played out all over the world.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And actually I dont know why the topic of strip malld is presented as a bad thing, most people around the world dont dream about riding a subway or bus. They all have dream cars they wish to someday own and drive around in-the origins of that was in Los Angeles and the auto oriented lifestyle that began in LA signaled one of the biggest shifts in urban planning, residential planning, commercial planning in history.

This is an LA-originated trend that has left US borders and has replicated and played out all over the world.
I didn't present it as a bad thing, or a good thing. My main point of that post was that NYC and LA were the only two cities where Taschen chose to locate, and it's an interesting contrast where it chose to situate.

If you like big cities, I'm not sure why you'd celebrate strip malls and a more auto-oriented city, at least near a city's downtown. It generally makes the streets empty of pedestrians, leads to less interesting streetscapes, and a more separated city. People used to more pedestrian oriented city centers find LA a bit of a shock. But this has little to do with which is more cultural or iconic.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,127,237 times
Quote:

Hey, your back. I see you ran yesterday and never explained why "Malibu" is so much more important than Brooklyn. I would really love to hear about that one. You should work for the commerce of LA. Then again, they wouldn't hire you, because you live too much in a fantasy world. Where LA is the epicenter of everything.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't present it as a bad thing, or a good thing. My main point of that post was that NYC and LA were the only two cities where Taschen chose to locate, and it's an interesting contrast where it chose to situate.

If you like big cities, I'm not sure why you'd celebrate strip malls and a more auto-oriented city, at least near a city's downtown. It generally makes the streets empty of pedestrians, leads to less interesting streetscapes, and a more separated city. People used to more pedestrian oriented city centers find LA a bit of a shock. But this has little to do with which is more cultural or iconic.
Yes but vibrant pedestrian strips are not iconic solely of New York the way LA is almost universally attributed to the urban development change that occurred as a result of increased automobile usage.

Furthermore, if you like big cities Los Angeles looks and feels 'bigger' than any US city except NY.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,127,237 times
Quote:
Yes but vibrant pedestrian strips are not iconic solely of New York the way LA is almost universally attributed to the urban development change that occurred as a result of increased automobile usage.

Furthermore, if you like big cities Los Angeles looks and feels 'bigger' than any US city except NY.
And being more suburban for a large city is better how? Also, people migrated to the suburbs to get away from the inner city. This isn't a Los Angeles thing. It's an every city thing. Every city developed suburbs. Los Angeles is just a lot larger than most cities. So, they are definitely more car oriented. Doesn't make them better. With gas prices the way they are. You can have your two hour commute times and thirty dollars a day in gas. I'd much prefer a subway myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City