Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best rappers come from...
NYC 44 38.94%
LA 11 9.73%
Chicago 3 2.65%
Atlanta 21 18.58%
SF-Bay Area 6 5.31%
Houston 8 7.08%
Memphis 3 2.65%
St. Louis 3 2.65%
New Orleans 2 1.77%
Other (Please Specify) 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I wonder why Baltimore doesnt have any mainstream rappers. Given how gangsta the city is, it should have a lot.
That wouldn't matter now, "gangsta rap" isn't as big as it was, especially on the mainstream. The general population just wants to hear songs about partying, doing a dance routine, or conscious rappers. "Gang Banging" is less popular now, except in places like Chicago where it will never die. I'm not exactly a skinny jeans, skateboarding type of guy, but that's better than "gang banging" so I'm glad it's not as big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
The poll options are a joke without Philly as a option because it is arguably ahead of every city on the poll when it comes to having the best rappers with an exception to NYC. Detroit is also oddly missing from the poll which also has some of the best rappers.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Why not bring out the original drill music style from the early 90s? Especially since it's unknown nationally. That way homage is given to a Chicago sound.

Well for one, youth weren't really influenced by those artists. They're more influenced by Flocka and lil wayne

Also The original chicago sound (snypaz, old twista, old do or die, psychodrama, triple darkness, etc etc) doesn't really have any mass appeal. IMO it's too 'grimey'. If they were to go back to that sound, people across the country probably wouldn't even gravitate towards it. I will say Lil durk's latest single sounds a lot like the original chicago sound of the 90's

Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,133 times
NYC wins hands down, no contest. They came out with no stop rappers from the 70's until the early/mid 2000's, 50 cent was the until good rapper outta the boros until A$AP Rocky and Ferg came out, French Montana is IIGHT but not all that good.

This is my generation tho, eff everyone that came out after 2006. I'm 24 and as a youngin I was influenced by the following:

-Biggie/Junior Mafia
-Tupac/Outlawz
-Snoop Dogg
-Lil Kim
-Jay-Z
-50 Cent
-Ja Rule
-Cassidy
-Jadakiss
-Pharrell
-Young Buck
-Lloyd Banks
-Cam'ron
-Lil Wayne
-Ludacris
-Outkast
-Chingy
-Clipse
-Twista
-Beanie Siegel
-Chamillionaire
-Plies
-C murder
-T.I.
-Lil Scappy
-Scarface
-Project Pat
-Young Jeezy
-Common

and too many others to name, if they was out here before 2006 9 times outta 10 I was poppin they stuff.

I can't relate to Chief Keef or any of these young ass kiddie rappers. Speaking of Chief Keef he is COUNTRY as hell, sound like he straight outta the deep south, Alabama or something. Chicago is a very weird city it has strong southern influence in the black population but at the same time rappers like Common sound like New Yorkers.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I see you put Wale and J. Cole under both categories....but guys like Jeezy, TI, Ace Hood, Wiz, Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Big Sean, and Drake aren't strictly "party" or "night club" rappers like Gucci Mane or Soulja Boy. When you listen to tracks on their mixtapes and albums....they have a variety of subject matter as well.

Ace Hood - Art of Deception - YouTube

Drake - Think Good Thoughts [FULL Version] ft. Phonte and Elzhi - YouTube

T.I.- Still Aint Forgave Myself - YouTube

Wiz Khalifa - Nameless ft. Chevy Woods (Taylor Allderdice) - YouTube
That's definitely true, especially in regards to Drake. Don't know how I missed that.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't matter now, "gangsta rap" isn't as big as it was, especially on the mainstream. The general population just wants to hear songs about partying, doing a dance routine, or conscious rappers. "Gang Banging" is less popular now, except in places like Chicago where it will never die. I'm not exactly a skinny jeans, skateboarding type of guy, but that's better than "gang banging" so I'm glad it's not as big.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:28 PM

I love the beats this DJTroop101 guy laid down for the NYC back in '09 on YouTube.

New York Beat - YouTube

New York Beat 2 - YouTube

New York Beat 3 - YouTube (This one is my most favorite of the four!)

New York Beat 4 - YouTube

The beautiful sound of New York City! Boom Bap over Trap

Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 21,302 times
Quote:
That's truth, but I love gangsta music. I personally hate party/club raps. Mainly it's because I don't know anything about that life, I can't relate. When I hear it I envision a bunch of rich kids trying to be ghetto. Which is why I hate hearing Drake. I'm not the only one that doesn't like this new crop.

DMX: Back Then He Would Beat Drake In An Elevator! - YouTube

I didn't even know about alot of guys they talk about in the interview like kendrick lamar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Also The original chicago sound (snypaz, old twista, old do or die, psychodrama, triple darkness, etc etc) doesn't really have any mass appeal. IMO it's too 'grimey'. If they were to go back to that sound, people across the country probably wouldn't even gravitate towards it. I will say Lil durk's latest single sounds a lot like the original chicago sound of the 90's
Go back to that sound? Chicago never left that gangsta sound. You lookin in the wrong spot for the classic Chi. You gotta get those older cats.

CWal Mob - When Them *****s Come - YouTube

CWAL Mob - Wild Out (Savo, E-Dub The Gangsta, Dutch And Dawreck) - YouTube

L.E.P. Bogus Boys - Chicago *****z - Dir. @DaVisionaryz - YouTube

Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,140 times
Best rappers? Easy.

1. DYLAN

2. DYLAN

3. DYLAN

Because he spits hot fiya...oh that wasn't the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City