Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is best for nature?
NYC 11 11.11%
Chicago 6 6.06%
DC 9 9.09%
Boston 22 22.22%
Detroit 4 4.04%
Minneapolis 38 38.38%
Other 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
ThreeSides, Lake Michigan does count or at least I hope so. How can we forget the obvious?

The lake category? Chicago is not only on a bigger better "lake" but beaches much closer to downtown that beat out both. The beaches from downtown Boston are further out compared to Chicago's despite being on the coast. Why waste time driving when you can actually walk to the beach from your condo with a better view of a bigger "skyline" and "waterfront".

Now Minneapolis may have more small lakes but are no match for Chicago's Lake Michigan. It's one thing if Minneapolis were one of the great lakes cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland etc. but it's not. Cities would kill to have this near their downtown. Downtown beach cities like Miami Beach, Honolulu and Chicago are lucky to have this within walking distance.

Here are some photos I shot personally.

Chicago has one lake, that is its only lake for a long way out. You won't find any significant other small, medium, or large lakes for a pretty large distance, meaning that there isn't any small recreational beaches, trails by a lake, fishing piers, easy casual and quiet sailing, swimming, inexpensive lakefront property, basically all of the things people love about lakes. Lake Michigan does not serve the city as a lake, it serves the city as a sea or ocean, and functions recreationally like one also. Minneapolis beats Chicago in the "lake category", Chicago beats Minneapolis in the "sea/ocean" category.

Plus, lake Michigan isn't exactly the cleanest lake in the world, considering it is the only major body of water (except for the rivers, which are just as bad) in the Chicago area. Any runoff pollution heads right to the lake. Not something I'd like to swim in. Lake Calhoun or Harriet or Nokomis or Hiawatha or Cedar or Wirth in Minneapolis? Yes, I'd be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Chicago has one lake, that is its only lake for a long way out. You won't find any significant other small, medium, or large lakes for a pretty large distance, meaning that there isn't any small recreational beaches, trails by a lake, fishing piers, easy casual and quiet sailing, swimming, inexpensive lakefront property, basically all of the things people love about lakes. Lake Michigan does not serve the city as a lake, it serves the city as a sea or ocean, and functions recreationally like one also. Minneapolis beats Chicago in the "lake category", Chicago beats Minneapolis in the "sea/ocean" category.

Plus, lake Michigan isn't exactly the cleanest lake in the world, considering it is the only major body of water (except for the rivers, which are just as bad) in the Chicago area. Any runoff pollution heads right to the lake. Not something I'd like to swim in. Lake Calhoun or Harriet or Nokomis or Hiawatha or Cedar or Wirth in Minneapolis? Yes, I'd be fine.
I see what you're saying, but there will be people who are really into the "sea/ocean" category and would prefer it over the traditional lake.

I agree there needs to be much stronger enforcement of environmental laws for the Great Lakes and their tributaries.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Anyhow, answer's probably NYC. Large portions of the city are reserved greenspace. Long Island has some beautiful beaches (though it would have been nice if even more of Long Island and its greenspaces were preserved). There's the Hudson Valley and pretty good proximity to the Poconos, the Catskills, and the Berkshires.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:

You're in denial that Lake Michigan is a "lake" because Minneapolis isn't a great lakes city. Let me know when Lake Michigan actually changes it's name to Michigan Sea containing only salt water then I'll believe you.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyhow, answer's probably NYC. Large portions of the city are reserved greenspace. Long Island has some beautiful beaches (though it would have been nice if even more of Long Island and its greenspaces were preserved). There's the Hudson Valley and pretty good proximity to the Poconos, the Catskills, and the Berkshires.
Based on my travels if we are including the metro area then NYC due to having Long Island, Central Park and the Catskills to the north would give it an edge with the exception of Chicago's downtown waterfront beaches and Navy Pier that Manhattan lacks.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 PM

669 posts, read 914,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Based on my travels if we are including the metro area then NYC due to having Long Island, Central Park and the Catskills to the north would give it an edge with the exception of Chicago's downtown waterfront beaches and Navy Pier that Manhattan lacks.
Yeah, if it wasn't clear with my initial post I'm talking of including metro area and beyond, not just city limits.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Chicago has one lake, that is its only lake for a long way out.
Then what do you call Lake Geneva, Delavan Lake, Lake Como, Powers Lake, Elizabeth Lake, and Lake Mary (among several others)?

I spent majority of my childhood in Chicagoland in those areas. Lake Geneva is great, awesome picnic and park sort of place. In Walworth County, Wisconsin you'll find an ample number of Chicagoans enjoying horse back riding or relaxing near the three big lakes with their families. Also what about LaSalle Lake? The idea that Chicagoland is lacking in lakes is absurd, yeah compared to Minneapolis sure.

Chicagoland doesn't really have an outdoorsy culture (thankfully) and it's scenery isn't up there with a lot of the other choices.

New York has the best scenery of them all. The areas around Kingston are magnificent, if I was into nature, I'd know where to go. New York has everything in it's metropolis, with the exception of a desert it seems.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I forgot that Lake Michigan was indoors. The thread title clearly states "...nature scenery/ activities." Lake Michigan qualifies for both.

I understand but isn't Lincoln Park a neighborhood?

Btw, I was married at the Fourth Presbyterian on Michigan Ave and my in-laws live 49 floors above Saks, so I am very familiar with Chicago. The lakefront is unparalleled for city beauty, but there really isn't much beyond that except great golf opportunities.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I understand but isn't Lincoln Park a neighborhood?

Btw, I was married at the Fourth Presbyterian on Michigan Ave and my in-laws live 49 floors above Saks, so I am very familiar with Chicago. The lakefront is unparalleled for city beauty, but there really isn't much beyond that except great golf opportunities.
Yes, Lincoln Park is a neighborhood named after the park adjacent to it: Lincoln Park, the green space. The free zoo, as we called it, is located at Lincoln Park.

Well, you're not going to be able to climb or sky down a mountain. Certainly, one can water ski, fish, play volleyball, etc. I don't know where he went. However, I grew up with a guy that used to go camping/ hiking quite a bit, in Chicagoland.

Let's make a list of outdoor activities. Is walking the dog an outdoor activity? Let's define what is and what is not an outdoor activity. Scenery is self-explanatory.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Yes, Lincoln Park is a neighborhood named after the park adjacent to it: Lincoln Park, the green space. The free zoo, as we called it, is located at Lincoln Park.

Well, you're not going to be able to climb or sky down a mountain. Certainly, one can water ski, fish, play volleyball, etc. I don't know where he went. However, I grew up with a guy that used to go camping/ hiking quite a bit, in Chicagoland.

Let's make a list of outdoor activities. Is walking the dog an outdoor activity? Let's define what is and what is not an outdoor activity. Scenery is self-explanatory.
I've gone to at least three Butterfly Balls at Peggy Notabaert. Beautiful park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City