Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for millenials of these
Omaha, NE 4 4.35%
Jackson, MS 3 3.26%
Jersey City, NJ 6 6.52%
Milwaukee, WS 9 9.78%
Cleveland, OH 7 7.61%
Pittsburgh, PA 29 31.52%
Albuquerque, NM 7 7.61%
San Antonio, TX 5 5.43%
Houston, TX 22 23.91%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,105,426 times

Advertisements

I can't believe people are voting Pittsburgh over Houston...One has a ton of jobs and the other....well....doesn't. Sorry, but Millenniums need jobs these days. The unemployment rate is atrocious for young folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,319,444 times
How is freezing industrial graveyard Pittsburgh winning this poll???

Houston if you like big cities. San Antonio if you like mid size cities.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Pittsburgh obviously has more forum members than other cities (or possibly one person with 10 different names). While a fine city, I don't see why Pittsburgh is so obviously better than Cleveland or Milwaukee, for example. Omaha is really underrated too.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM

283 posts, read 461,902 times
Pittsburgh is better because it has a great urban core and is cheap. A lot of young people live there because of Pitt and Carnegie Mellon and it has a growing a diversifying economy, particularly in regards to technology and eco-friendly energy. It offers a true city feeling (much unlike Houston and San Antonio) for very affordable prices. The public transit is pretty good too. It's got a really cool topography with big hills and rivers, and a lot's going for it at the moment. Why is it better than Cleveland? Perhaps because it's economy isn't at a low point, and it's certainly cleaner, has a better housing stock and in all honesty is just... better... unless you're looking to be near a large body of water, or to see a symphony. As I can't speak fr Milwaukee but I imagine its for similar reasons and Milwaukee is colder than Pittsburgh. With all that being said I think Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Cleveland are similar cities that went through similar things. Pittsburgh is undoubtedly however, at least 50 years ahead of Cleveland in regards to its "turnaround" and 25 or so ahead of Milwaukee.
As for Houston and San Antonio... those cities are good for a lot of things, but millennial are really looking for a truly urban city. I know Houston Sun-belt lovers like to call their cities "just as urban as..." but it's honestly just not true. I say that despite the fact that sun-belt cities probably have more going for them at the moment due to land availability and cheap COL, but that's unsustainable and the quality of life undesirable IMO.
Source: Millennial.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM

Plus the unemployment rate for Houston is around 5.6% while for Pittsburgh it's around 6.2%. Not really big difference. Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,105,426 times
Pittsburgh is not a truly urban city. It may have a relatively walkable core for how small it is, but it isn't a NOLA. The whole city is just stagnant. It's not really energetic...it's not really progressing or going anywhere. It's just there. Sorry, but personally I'd like to be in cities that are visibly growing and gleaming with new developments and life.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Pittsburgh is undoubtedly however, at least 50 years ahead of Cleveland in regards to its "turnaround" and 25 or so ahead of Milwaukee.
Ummm no. This is laughable. You have never been to Milwaukee or Cleveland.

Pittsburgh started gaining population only in the last couple years. It lost more than half its population since the 50s, like Cleveland. Cleveland's transit is pretty much objectively much better than Pittsburgh's. I'm sorry but saying Pittsburgh is 50 years ahead of Cleveland is incredibly ignorant. Are they flying around in hovercrafts? Are there high speed trains? Does the city operate like completely on some alternate energy nobody told us about? Give me a break.

It's a good city, but it's hilarious how talked up it is.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 02-04-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM

I have been to both Milwaukee and Cleveland. Cleveland was by far the dirtiest, ugliest, most depressing place I've ever been. Even downtown wasn't very nice. Nobody was out and about walking the streets. I didn't mean it was fifty years ahead in terms of technology, but rather in its turnaround. Cleveland is still losing population and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I've never talked to anyone who has said "Boy, I'd sure love to move to Cleveland! It's so cool!" Pittsburgh has the advantage of having three large universities in Pitt, Duquesne, and Carnegie Mellon, while Cleveland only really has Case Western, which is a very good school in its own right. Pitt operates with one of the best hospitals in the country too. It's no Cleveland Clinic, but a great hospital IN ADDITION to the universities, urban topography and character, cheap COL... Cleveland just doesn't attract the same volume of youth as Pittsburgh for all of those reasons. Granted many CMU kids go on to Silicon Valley but there will always be CMU kids in the city at least, and a decent amount stay. Pittsburgh, unlike Cleveland has created many hip, gentrified neighborhoods for millennials with easy access to PT and jobs. Places such as Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Downtown of course, Shadyside, among others. I fail to see that in Cleveland, though I'd love to see them develop.

For millennials: Pittsburgh >> Cleveland.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,104,180 times
Have you been to Cleveland in the past 10 years? Like Pittsburgh it's changed a lot. Millennialist are moving back to certain neighborhoods in the city in droves, the dining scene has gotten significantly better, there are tons of new apartment, hotel, office, and cultural projects going on all around the city. You really shouldn't judge an entire city based on what sounds like a not very recent and short trip downtown.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:12 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,922,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Plus the unemployment rate for Houston is around 5.6% while for Pittsburgh it's around 6.2%. Not really big difference. Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Midland, Texas is sitting at 2.8% unemployment, however, it doesn't necessarily mean its easy to get a job there. I'm sure you could find plenty of work in the oil field doing rough neck manual labor for example, but little else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City