Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:01 PM

944 posts, read 1,209,805 times

Advertisements

If anyone familiar with both cities could recommend a part of Chicago that approximates Kensington Market, I would appreciate it quite a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:35 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Is there a particular reason why you are more interested in Seattle than say Vancouver, do you specifically want to move to the US? I don't know Toronto that well but it seems like you have a good idea as to how they compare.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
IMO, Arial views are nothing more than rose-tinted glasses. On the ground, U of C is not all that great. It has a ton of history, and certain areas of grandeur, but many parts of it are dilapidated, crime infested, and just down right embarrassing. Compare that to U of T, or even U of I @ Champaign-Urbana, and it becomes far less beautiful. Yes, U of C is nice, but it isn't even the nicest campus in Illinois.
As someone who has worked on both the University of Chicago and the University of Toronto campuses. I think you are on crack!! U of T is quite a bit bigger and has some fine buildings, but nothing that compares to the quads of the University of Chicago, and then there is Rockefeller Chapel, Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, Mies van de Roehe's law library etc. The University of Chicago is an architecturally distinguished campus in a way that the University of Toronto really is not. There is plenty of ugly on both campuses, but way more in Toronto which while having some fine Victorian public buildings has a ton of run of the mill 1960s and 70s concrete brutalism.UIUC does not belong in this conversation except for the library which is gorgeous. Northwestern has a much more attractive campus than UIUC as does Loyola right on the lake???

Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
As someone who has worked on both the University of Chicago and the University of Toronto campuses. I think you are on crack!! U of T is quite a bit bigger and has some fine buildings, but nothing that compares to the quads of the University of Chicago, and then there is Rockefeller Chapel, Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, Mies van de Roehe's law library etc. The University of Chicago is an architecturally distinguished campus in a way that the University of Toronto really is not. There is plenty of ugly on both campuses, but way more in Toronto which while having some fine Victorian public buildings has a ton of run of the mill 1960s and 70s concrete brutalism.UIUC does not belong in this conversation except for the library which is gorgeous. Northwestern has a much more attractive campus than UIUC as does Loyola right on the lake???
The U of T campus' most notable architectural examples like Hart House are examples of gothic revival and not Victorian. Speaking of which - 1 Spadina Crescent just rc'd a 69 million dollar makeover and will be the site of the U of T's faculty of architecture, landscape and design.

Take a first look at revitalized heritage building 1 Spadina Crescent - Toronto - CBC News

I think both the U of T and U of C have beautiful campuses.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
People should see intent of the thread and original poster before they post. You also never say a US city still surpasses Toronto today or realize intent is it will soon surpass All US cities not NYC for a good portion of things. Equaling a US cities attributes is the best you will probably get or in a few more years YOU WILL BE SURPASSED.

There is one answer that will meet expectations here...... neither city has a full equivalent or merely the Bohemian nature of this Toronto marketplace and the University of Chicago even at #3 University in the US today. Is equaled in Toronto at the minimum..... architecture and much more.

I would expect replies to be that very little these American cities can try to boast of having? That Toronto won't have one similar, better or will soon have in its growth more of. You learn quickly what the responses will be after a while.

There are a few things I could think of? These two American cities might have more of, do better, have more of and a best example of? But the response will be Toronto has similar, equal to, or has it covered in planning and building it to match and then surpass these cities best features. Short of adding mountains a inlet sound.

Not that there are not exceptions, or something that just can't be replaced or built today? But that would be about it. Only if it can't be fully replaced and built today.

Perhaps a better question is? Is there any neighborhoods Seattle and Toronto might have with no equivalent in Toronto? Or it is not building to arguably match and surpass what these other cities might boast of now?

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
People should see intent of the thread and original poster before they post. You also never say a US city still surpasses Toronto today or realize intent is it will soon surpass All US cities not NYC for a good portion of things. Equaling a US cities attributes is the best you will probably get or in a few more years YOU WILL BE SURPASSED.

There is one answer that will meet expectations here...... neither city has a full equivalent or merely the Bohemian nature of this Toronto marketplace and the University of Chicago even at #3 University in the US today. Is equaled in Toronto at the minimum..... architecture and much more.

I would expect replies to be that very little these American cities can try to boast of having? That Toronto won't have one similar, better or will soon have in its growth more of. You learn quickly what the responses will be after a while.

There are a few things I could think of? These two American cities might have more of, do better, have more of and a best example of? But the response will be Toronto has similar, equal to, or has it covered in planning and building it to match and then surpass these cities best features. Short of adding mountains a inlet sound.

Not that there are not exceptions, or something that just can't be replaced or built today? But that would be about it. Only if it can't be fully replaced and built today.

Perhaps a better question is? Is there any neighborhoods Seattle and Toronto might have with no equivalent in Toronto? Or it is not building to arguably match and surpass what these other cities might boast of now?
Well in my case no this isn't really accurate at all. I Simply appreciate the beauty of both campuses. U of T has some interesting architectural elements because the architectural elements are unique. It would be difficult for you to really comment on It wouldn't Dave? You haven't been to Toronto or have you walked down Philosophers walk? So really what you are saying isn't really happening but is more a reflection of I think your mentality. As You are projecting here but you always do that. You think everyone's intention in here is the same as you. Some of us appreciate when locals share information about a city so they can learn about it and what is going on, what cities have and their attributes. Heaven forbid we actually learn that some places may have more depth to them than what we actually assume.

As for rankings - I believe University of Chicago is ranked higher than U of T but nobody is really disputing that here are they? U of T is respectable though - its the highest ranked Uni in Canada and Is usually ranked between 17th and 20th in the world so that isn't bad. In any event, I don't even know why this thread was revived - its 4 years old so kind of random.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-30-2017 at 05:24 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:44 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In any event, I don't even know why this thread was revived - its 4 years old so kind of random.
CD is pretty friendly to thread revivals... if you've ever wondered why mods add random tags like "(earthquakes, school systems, reverse commute)" onto thread titles, it is to make them easier for new posters to find so the system isn't cluttered with the same questions.

In this case, I am considering a move to Chicago and wanted to know if someone could provide a comparable neighborhood there to Toronto's Kensington Market. That is one of my favorite urban spaces, so I would like to know if something similar exists stateside.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Wait, are we really pretending Cabbagetown and Old Town are comparable neighborhoods?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
CD is pretty friendly to thread revivals... if you've ever wondered why mods add random tags like "(earthquakes, school systems, reverse commute)" onto thread titles, it is to make them easier for new posters to find so the system isn't cluttered with the same questions.

In this case, I am considering a move to Chicago and wanted to know if someone could provide a comparable neighborhood there to Toronto's Kensington Market. That is one of my favorite urban spaces, so I would like to know if something similar exists stateside.
That is best posted in the Chicago forum thread on your possible move considering Chicago. But I think you know the answer. Don't expect a marketplace with brightly colored homes that would seem strange even in Chicago, but less so in SF.

I will keep my comments to that. As I said in reply to a video. Old Toronto is not that similar to Old Chicago to me. Old Philly Non-Colonial oldest neighborhoods vibrant again are more so. They have the row-housing and street-cars.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-30-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post

Fair enough - there just seems to be a sudden influx in Toronto vs threads in here. It kind of comes and goes. We can go month at a time without Toronto in here and than suddenly it hits a crescendo. Of course when Toronto posters actually say something about the city they are just doing so to show how much better it is which isn't the case from my perspective - its just about providing info. Anyway, i'm not sure anywhere in Chicago that would be like Kensington and even if there is a nabe that has similarities - it may be hard for the people capital and vibe to be replicated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City