Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok; I know people who have moved from Chicago and said the nightlife in Houston is much better. It's all subjective, but to deny the variety of nightlife options in Houston and Dallas and than to suggest Austin competes is BS.
i'm assuming you're from houston. look, i've lived in houston.... in fact i grew up around the tidwell and airline area. i know what the night life is there. it's dope, no doubt! plus there's tons of people so yeah there's diversity there. I'm not dogging on it. But here's the deal, Austin does compete.... plain and simple. It's what Austin is KNOWN for. 6th street (otherwise known as entertainment district), the warehouse district, soco, the plethora of live music, the college parties and the fact that weekends begin on thursday nights here..... you. simply. cannot. deny. austin's. night life. Yes it does compete.

but it is subjective... i'll give you that much. and if you want it to be funky, eclectic, and diverse with every bar at walking distance then you'd be more suited for austin.

so you have friends from chicago? i have friends from illinois, colorado, california, florida, new york, AND houston AND dallas who moved to austin because of its night life. i don't know how true this is but friends of mine were trying to compare it's nightlife and they said it came close to new orleans.... i'm not sure how much of it is true though cause i've never been to new orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Austin Doesnt have a Variety.. Its the type of place that you have to go there to experience it.. I dont do the Hipster scene not my kinda scene so it would be boring to me. Dallas and Houston are the same way Good nightlife but its not well talked about.
it doesn't have variety? really?

well, truly maybe not like a world class city like san francisco, los angeles, chicago, miami or new york.... but i'm pretty sure there's something for just about everyone here. but i agree... people would have to visit themselves to see. and the hipster scene is quite huge here.... which i'm down with.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
WOW, Epic night that must've been. I don't know why people hate on the ATX.
so true! also the girls here.... plenty to choose from!

that's why i think, and you might think this to be strange, but although austin can be overrated sometimes by the locals, it does get quite underrated outside of it. it's no biggie though.... i think people should just come and see it, and then i'll be hearing another story like, "i heard about austin and i couldn't believe. but now that i'm here i wanna move here..." and blah, blah, blah.... i've heard it many times! but then of course i'm sure not everyone is going to like it.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Austin Doesnt have a Variety.. Its the type of place that you have to go there to experience it.. I dont do the Hipster scene not my kinda scene so it would be boring to me. Dallas and Houston are the same way Good nightlife but its not well talked about.
Oh damn, count me out. I hate hipsters. I can stand them if they're in a bar I'm in, or in small doses. The music is pretty good...but the whole scene is a bunch of rich kids pretending to be poor and trying their hardest to be different.

Maybe I'll visit Austin for a football game or something like that...but if I end up in some douchey hipster-enclave again, I'll end up bottling people left and right.

I think the only way I could stand it would be because the chicks can look pretty good.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Oh damn, count me out. I hate hipsters. I can stand them if they're in a bar I'm in, or in small doses. The music is pretty good...but the whole scene is a bunch of rich kids pretending to be poor and trying their hardest to be different.

Maybe I'll visit Austin for a football game or something like that...but if I end up in some douchey hipster-enclave again, I'll end up bottling people left and right.

I think the only way I could stand it would be because the chicks can look pretty good.
i somewhat agree with you..... cause it is true that many of these rich kids pretend to be poor. and it's funny when you think of the origins of "hipster". but then again i myself have many hipster friends who are very good friends of mine. and yes pretty girls love hipsters.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
i'm assuming you're from houston. look, i've lived in houston.... in fact i grew up around the tidwell and airline area. i know what the night life is there. it's dope, no doubt! plus there's tons of people so yeah there's diversity there. I'm not dogging on it. But here's the deal, Austin does compete.... plain and simple. It's what Austin is KNOWN for. 6th street (otherwise known as entertainment district), the warehouse district, soco, the plethora of live music, the college parties and the fact that weekends begin on thursday nights here..... you. simply. cannot. deny. austin's. night life. Yes it does compete.
Houston has clubs hopping on Tuesday & Wednesday nights. Pretty much all week except Mondays there is something going on. Sundays are fairly lively too if you know where to go.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:

but it is subjective... i'll give you that much. and if you want it to be funky, eclectic, and diverse with every bar at walking distance then you'd be more suited for austin.

so you have friends from chicago? i have friends from illinois, colorado, california, florida, new york, AND houston AND dallas who moved to austin because of its night life. i don't know how true this is but friends of mine were trying to compare it's nightlife and they said it came close to new orleans.... i'm not sure how much of it is true though cause i've never been to new orleans.
Ummm.....Thursday is one of the best nights to party in Houston all the way up til Monday.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ummm.....Thursday is one of the best nights to party in Houston all the way up til Monday.
I think you're missing the point here. I'm not saying that Austin is better than Houston... I'm simply making a case for Austin's night life. And quite frankly it wouldn't even be fair to compare Austin to Houston in any way since Houston is so much bigger, that's 6 million vs under 2 million people.

What is true though that because of Austin's relatively small size the night life here is more concentrated and it's what mostly draws people here. Houston is not a place that people will visit because of its "night life". Not necessarily at least... it's not what Houston is "known" for. Austin is however.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has clubs hopping on Tuesday & Wednesday nights. Pretty much all week except Mondays there is something going on. Sundays are fairly lively too if you know where to go.
you know though... i don't think austin is big on the "club" scene. it's a different type of scene here. you'd just have to check it out and see why the locals love it here. it's nothing like houston or dallas.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the point here. I'm not saying that Austin is better than Houston... I'm simply making a case for Austin's night life. And quite frankly it wouldn't even be fair to compare Austin to Houston in any way since Houston is so much bigger, that's 6 million vs under 2 million people.

What is true though that because of Austin's relatively small size the night life here is more concentrated and it's what mostly draws people here. Houston is not a place that people will visit because of its "night life". Not necessarily at least... it's not what Houston is "known" for. Austin is however.
I agree and I wasn't saying Houston and Dallas are better; they just offer more on a larger scale. You'll never see me really brag about either when it comes to nightlife, but I will say Houston is good at what it does best (Hip Hop, Jazz/Blues, and a few more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City