Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

I grew up in California, so I don't really have a dog in the NYC vs. Chicago fight. I've visited both a handful of times. Personally, I prefer Chicago. Chicago is a right-sized NYC with a better, more prominent waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM

178 posts, read 175,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i can certainly think of one place that would never see Chicago as a "miniature New York". that place would be Chicago. we are not New York, we are vastly different from New York and we never had any desire to be city other than the one we are. we find Chicago utterly unique, no place like it, with a vibe all its own.

you guys go right ahead with your ranking and have fun. actually your rankings will produce results that "rank" New York above Chicago.

To that I say: I don't give a rat's ass. And neither do my fellow Chicagoans. To us, Chicago is simply the best city around. You can think that's delusional all you want, but we do tend to think that way. Being a Chicagoan, by nature, is a highly partisan thing to be. My experience with out-of-towers is that they love our city and that's nice. and appreciated. But it matters more what we think of ourselves: and we think we're pretty f'ing great.

Shadows? Sorry. I can't see any. We're not in any city's shadow as far as we're concerned. and that's all that matters.
Well said I've never understood why the comparison they are unique in their own way. I guess I can see the similarity's in some aspects both cities have world famous skylines and architecture to match, world class amenities, both have their own style hot dogs, pizza,lol NYC has empire state we have sears tower, NYC has central park, we have the lakefront. But make no mistake about it both cities have their own vibe and swagger. Chicagoans in no way want to be like NYC and vice versa nothing wrong with that. I've always looked at it as NYC the centerpiece of the USA international city, and Chicago as the most american city the the USA.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i can certainly think of one place that would never see Chicago as a "miniature New York". that place would be Chicago. we are not New York, we are vastly different from New York and we never had any desire to be city other than the one we are. we find Chicago utterly unique, no place like it, with a vibe all its own.

you guys go right ahead with your ranking and have fun. actually your rankings will produce results that "rank" New York above Chicago.

To that I say: I don't give a rat's ass. And neither do my fellow Chicagoans. To us, Chicago is simply the best city around. You can think that's delusional all you want, but we do tend to think that way. Being a Chicagoan, by nature, is a highly partisan thing to be. My experience with out-of-towers is that they love our city and that's nice. and appreciated. But it matters more what we think of ourselves: and we think we're pretty f'ing great.

Shadows? Sorry. I can't see any. We're not in any city's shadow as far as we're concerned. and that's all that matters.
Well said, and I totally get it. I'm neither from Chicago nor NYC, but aside from a few obvious similarities, which are really pretty superficial in my opinion, I find the two cities to be quite different. Both are great, one-of-a-kind cities, but for different reasons.

I agree that Chicago doesn't try to be anywhere else, other than just Chicago. Why should it? It's a very well-established and old city, that found it's identity a long time ago. One thing I especially love about Chicago is that most of it's inhabitants are very proud to be from there, and share edsg25's high opinion of their city, and rightly so.... but unlike so many other big, desirable, upper-tier cities they usually don't look down on the rest of America. Perhaps that's because most Chicagoans haven't lost sight of the fact that they are very much a Midwestern city. On the coasts, you run across these extreme elitist attitudes that seem to be absent for the most part in the Midwest. I, for one, find that very refreshing and unique for a city on Chicago's tier.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well said, and I totally get it. I'm neither from Chicago nor NYC, but aside from a few obvious similarities, which are really pretty superficial in my opinion, I find the two cities to be quite different. Both are great, one-of-a-kind cities, but for different reasons.

I agree that Chicago doesn't try to be anywhere else, other than just Chicago. Why should it? It's a very well-established and old city, that found it's identity a long time ago. One thing I especially love about Chicago is that most of it's inhabitants are very proud to be from there, and share edsg25's high opinion of their city, and rightly so.... but unlike so many other big, desirable, upper-tier cities they usually don't look down on the rest of America. Perhaps that's because most Chicagoans haven't lost sight of the fact that they are very much a Midwestern city. On the coasts, you run across these extreme elitist attitudes that seem to be absent for the most part in the Midwest. I, for one, find that very refreshing and unique for a city on Chicago's tier.
I've noticed this too especially since joining this site Hahaha some say Chicagoans have inferior complexes whatever that means but it's not that it's that we are very proud to call this city ours and truly believe for the most part Chicago is the best overall city, we don't like to be second to anyone lol and some may take that the wrong way. I for one never hate on any city I like most cities I've been too for what they are NYC being one of them but like any city each has good things and bad things about them. I'm also will be the first to point out negative aspects about Chicago as well.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Never met anyone from Chicago who even talks about NYC. What's with people thinking they're jealous of NYC? NEVER have heard that from anyone there, to reiterate. How silly some people are. Find something to do.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
I don't see any resemblance between Chicago and NYC. Chicago is closer in CBD/core size and density to SF, DC, Boston, and Philly than it is to NYC. NYC is incredibly more "massive", dense, crowded, bustling, and prominent in every which way.

Information pulled from C&W's Marketbeat Q2 reports, so it's subject to their numbers.

Just looking at office. Chicago is closer in size to some cities that people might be quick to dismiss as "much smaller" than Chicago. Pound for pound, Chicago and SF have roughly identical core population densities, with SF having higher peaks, but overall similar. Boston follows, then DC and Philadelphia.

The Loop is probably very comparable to Lower Manhattan, however, Chicago is lacking a lot of the "big stuff" that NYC has, like Midtown and all that stuff in between, along with the Jersey cities, Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, Bronx, and lower Westchester. In fact, inner Chicago level density is consistent through Northern Jersey covering several counties, in Long Island, in Westchester, and up into CT. It's just that much larger and its very core, Manhattan, reflects its location as the center of a much more global, much larger, much more important place.

NYC intimidates people. Chicago does not.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I don't see any resemblance between Chicago and NYC. Chicago is closer in CBD/core size and density to SF, DC, Boston, and Philly than it is to NYC. NYC is incredibly more "massive", dense, crowded, bustling, and prominent in every which way.

Information pulled from C&W's Marketbeat Q2 reports, so it's subject to their numbers.

Just looking at office. Chicago is closer in size to some cities that people might be quick to dismiss as "much smaller" than Chicago. Pound for pound, Chicago and SF have roughly identical core population densities, with SF having higher peaks, but overall similar. Boston follows, then DC and Philadelphia.

The Loop is probably very comparable to Lower Manhattan, however, Chicago is lacking a lot of the "big stuff" that NYC has, like Midtown and all that stuff in between, along with the Jersey cities, Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, Bronx, and lower Westchester. In fact, inner Chicago level density is consistent through Northern Jersey covering several counties, in Long Island, in Westchester, and up into CT. It's just that much larger and its very core, Manhattan, reflects its location as the center of a much more global, much larger, much more important place.

NYC intimidates people. Chicago does not.
Lmao I needed a good laugh thank you! So in no way Chicago even resembles NYC huh NYC is better in every way huh? Lol OK man if you believe that good for you. Nobody even brought up size and FYI Chicago is not made up of boroughs like NYC it's made up of dozens of neighborhoods. What " big stuff" is Chicago lacking do tell? And I didn't know NYC was supposed to be intimidating lol I sure didn't find anything intimidating about it jajajaja

Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
I love both cities. Lived in New York for six years, Chicago for four. In my experience, there is very little that you can do in New York that you can't do in Chicago for half the price, an eighth of the hassle and none of the attitude. But expense, hassle and attitude are part of the allure and charm of New York. Chicago remains the best urban bang for your buck in the English-speaking world. Melbourne would be second. Unless you are paying me 200K a year or more, I have no desire to live in NYC again.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:51 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

like i do with chitown, i appreciate your comment and i agree.

What some people say to degrade as "flyover country" is in reality just plain interior and uniquely american. Chicago has been referred to as "the Great American City" because it is such a product of this nation. Not founded by Europeans as a colony, Chicago is the story of the growth of a nation.

In 1871, Chicago famously burned to the ground. That fame comes from the myth of Mrs. O'Leary's cow and the circumstances of dry weather and strong winds and wood construction that encompassed the heart of the city. And, of course, Chicago is famous for rebuilding. And that fame came from the way it rebuilt with the newest of innovation and styles of architecture that were cutting edge. If the same fire had consumed New York or Boston or Philadelphia, they never would have rebuilt the way Chicago did. They were eastern, European leaning, traditionalist. Chicago, on the other hand, was more than willing to open new horizons.

And, boblo, you're absolutely right about attitudes towards the rest of the nation. That attitude extends to other great cities. We can thoroughly enjoy the delights of places like Boston, New York, Washington, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, totally appreciate what each has to offer, feel perfectly comfortable with them as peer cities and have no desire to rank them. I can't imagine a Chicagoan going west to visit either LA or SF think he is visiting a "lesser city" than one traveling east to visit NY. Far from it.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Never met anyone from Chicago who even talks about NYC. What's with people thinking they're jealous of NYC? NEVER have heard that from anyone there, to reiterate. How silly some people are. Find something to do.
anyone want proof of what was said above? then think what it was like here when New York's Macy's came into town and replaced Chicago's Marshall Field's. We went through the roof…and we don't go shopping at Macy's in the Loop which was pretty much decimated downtown by the switch in stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City