Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sorry, I wasn't telling you that. I should have put a line break in there. I was stating it for people who don't know that. it's always funny when people go somewhere and think that tall buildings are only reserved for people to live in them. I have literally run into people who think that everywhere in Chicago closes at 7pm and when asked, they said they literally never left the Loop. LOL!
No worries

And you're absolutely right about the Loop's hours versus other parts of downtown, like the Magnificent Mile and River North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 02:23 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Depends on how you want to define the Loop, as there's more than just the L definition. Google Maps, for example, defines it as going from the Chicago River to its north and west down to Congress. The Loop community area as the city has defined it has the same northern and western borders, but it goes down to Roosevelt. Others would probably label the area around Roosevelt to be the South Loop, but the Sears Tower and Aon Center typically fall within what it is described as the Loop, with the Aon Center bordering Lake Shore East (if you want to cut that out).
you're right, Perseus: there is no one definition for the boundaries of the Loop. I get fairly literal if I put it in terms of the 4 streets (Lake, Wabash, Van Buren, and Wells) than encompass it, but in all honestly,the district got its name before the el's ran and was defined by a street car loop.

So I think it is safe to say that two branches of the Chicago River are a pair of the defining points: basically if you are within the boundaries of Wacker Drive (E,W, N, & S), Michigan Avenue and Congress, you are pretty much in the loop. some include Illinois Center east of Michigan Avenue. I would say when you cross south of Congress, you're in the south loop.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
+1 can't rep you again, edsg25.
back at you, sydlee; and for the record I really like its own unique sense of density that LA has today....and the way it goes right on developing.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:57 AM

246 posts, read 230,465 times
I love both NYC's & CHI's centers b/c both define as real cosmopolitan cities with gigantic & multiple high-rise buildings to have wonderful skylines.

Both cities provide the best mass transit systems across the nation.

Wish LA should have followed NYC's & CHI's infrastructures to have a central location & efficient mass transit system.

Instead LA decided to create a major suburban sprawl all over the basin, valley, & beyond to be senseless.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post
I love both NYC's & CHI's centers b/c both define as real cosmopolitan cities with gigantic & multiple high-rise buildings to have wonderful skylines.

Both cities provide the best mass transit systems across the nation.

Wish LA should have followed NYC's & CHI's infrastructures to have a central location & efficient mass transit system.

Instead LA decided to create a major suburban sprawl all over the basin, valley, & beyond to be senseless.
for the city that seems to have created the concept of sprawl and the car culture, LA has evolved into a vastly different place from the Houstons, Phoenixes, and Vegases out there. I'd say that the city has matured into a more dense, truly urban environment. its rapid transit system has expanded considerably and has contributed so much to tie areas across the basin together.

LA more and more becomes "urban"….in the best sense of the word.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:17 AM

246 posts, read 230,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
for the city that seems to have created the concept of sprawl and the car culture, LA has evolved into a vastly different place from the Houstons, Phoenixes, and Vegases out there. I'd say that the city has matured into a more dense, truly urban environment. its rapid transit system has expanded considerably and has contributed so much to tie areas across the basin together.

LA more and more becomes "urban"….in the best sense of the word.
No offense, but we shall see in 20 years or more.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:32 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default Chicago great adn entirely different, in its own right

Chicago is not a "mini NYC", no more than NYC is a bigger Chicago. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Chicago is a great city, one which stands on its own. They don't feel alike. Chicago is simply great and mighty in its own right.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Chicago is not a "mini NYC", no more than NYC is a bigger Chicago. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Chicago is a great city, one which stands on its own. They don't feel alike. Chicago is simply great and mighty in its own right.
basically my thoughts.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM-SHADOW View Post
I admire both to define as metropolis cities. Both have fantastic architectural skylines of high-rise buildings to blow your mind away. Both have the best mass transit rail systems in the nation & globe for that matter. Both cities are ranked in the top 10 major economic centers of the nation & globe. Both cities have very passionate sports fans. Lastly, I love both pizza styles: NYC thin crust & CHI thick crust.
Trying to rake in reputation from New Yorkers AND Chicagoans, eh?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:16 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Here are two spectacular pictures of Manhattan actually:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/548/1...bce17c80_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/613/2...a527ea6c_b.jpg

Here is one that is pure structural density of just one part of Manhattan, it puts into perspective that New York is beyond comparison in America:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...y-Semenov.jpeg

There is just no match for it nor an alternative for it. When going from New York to the next possible American city (whatever it may be), you lose a lot of things that you'll never get back in terms of size, scale, vibrancy, infrastructure, office space, amenities, so on and so forth.

Chicago, while admirable, is not New York. However Chicago has a wide scale of urban amenities and offerings, on a smaller, less heralded, and less qualitative scale than that of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City