Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities, but like you said, I just don't think it should be compared to NYC/Chicago. It just doesn't belong in this thread. Similarities about aesthetics may be made, especially the early 20th century architecture, but there really isn't much else, IMO.
But that's the point. By layout of the city, architecture you could argue Philadelphia is more similar to NYC than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Anyhow, this has been done to death. I think downtown Chicago is much more different from Manhattan than the OP thinks. But what boundaries is the OP using for downtown Chicago?

Btw, there's no reason to use all of Manhattan. It makes more sense to use Manhattan say, south of 59th street, which has similar area (9 square miles) to your "Downtown Chicago" and functions as a greater downtown area.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Anyhow, this has been done to death. I think downtown Chicago is much more different from Manhattan than the OP thinks. But what boundaries is the OP using for downtown Chicago?

Btw, there's no reason to use all of Manhattan. It makes more sense to use Manhattan say, south of 59th street, which has similar area (9 square miles) to your "Downtown Chicago" and functions as a greater downtown area.
I just got back from Chicago a few weeks ago. While it is certainly very urban and the second best downtown in our country, it doesn't remind me of a mini-Manhattan. More like an ultra-size version of other city's downtown areas.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I just got back from Chicago a few weeks ago. While it is certainly very urban and the second best downtown in our country, it doesn't remind me of a mini-Manhattan. More like an ultra-size version of other city's downtown areas.
Maybe. I'd say a more intense, crowded version of Boston's downtown would be like Lower Manhattan not Chicago. North End = mini-Lower East Side.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...,29.3,,0,-7.89

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nassa...238.33,,0,0.18

or

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...48.79,,0,-5.44

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Y...9.11,,0,-19.32

Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM

349 posts, read 572,801 times
There's a lot of

Philly, Boston and SF have the more intimate small-block and business signage feel of NYC. Chicago is more handsome and ordered, but yet has that grand, spectacle-like feeling of NYC, and the only city with a comparable wall of pre-war skyscrapers to match.

This question is like asking: "Which is more similar to purple: Red or Blue?" How do you answer that. I just take every downtown as it is.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
These threads suck... Stop it Chicago people, it is not a mini new york or manhattan, great city yes, but not like New York. Closer than any city in the world? Seriously? Boston and Philly feel more like mini NYC's than Chicago though, not that they are bigger than Chicago in the downtown area, but aesthetically and culturally they are more similar. Chicago is it's own style.

Chicago is more like a giant Seattle than it is like a smaller NYC. Similar layout both with nice downtown areas, Chicago's is just much bigger but the style, cleanliness, good waterfront usage, similar ferris wheel, light fixtures are somewhat similar.

Seattle downtown..

Seattle Rex

Matt McGrath

Chicago downtown looks more like this and is more spread out for the most part.

MD11

Then you have NYC... obviously way way bigger.

ellison1

and Downtown chicago doesn't have a bunch of elevation or curved more narrow streets like lower manhattan

Chicago does not look like this

But some areas in Boston/Philly do...

Last edited by grapico; 11-06-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM

349 posts, read 572,801 times
^ where are the Chicago people starting these threads?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe. I'd say a more intense, crowded version of Boston's downtown would be like Lower Manhattan not Chicago. North End = mini-Lower East Side.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...,29.3,,0,-7.89

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nassa...238.33,,0,0.18

or

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...48.79,,0,-5.44

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Y...9.11,,0,-19.32
I was thinking more a super-sized San Francisco / Los Angeles than a super-sized downtown Boston. Or as grapico just said, Seattle.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM

281 posts, read 472,543 times
I'm sorry I've lived in Boston, and in no way even in the North end did it ever feel like anything in NYC, Boston is just way too small, and even in its most urban sections it had a sort of "cute" and "quaint" feel to it.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
I'm sorry I've lived in Boston, and in no way even in the North end did it ever feel like anything in NYC, Boston is just way too small, and even in its most urban sections it had a sort of "cute" and "quaint" feel to it.
I agree (and have lived in Boston too), but I think NEI was saying that if you super-sized Boston, it would be more similar to NYC than it would be to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City