Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

Kansas City isn't a bad choice either. Very well known for jazz for many years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

93,272 posts, read 123,898,066 times
https://www.cnyjazz.org
https://www.cnyjazz.org/jazzatsitrus
NE Jazz & Wine Festival | CNY Jazz

WAER | Music, News and NPR from Central New York

Welcome to the 2013 Syracuse Jazz Fest (largest free jazz festival in the Northeast)

With some other venues and more......

Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
New York is great at what they do, but New Orleans is the undisputed capital of REAL jazz. I suggest you do your research.
New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz and no one can take away that title. However, the premier jazz artists since the '50s. That isn't to take away from New Orleans. It's really a question of Pops (Satchmo) vs. Davis.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
From what I hear, the majority of gigs in NYC pay next to nothing. There are so many musicians there that if you don't take the gig for awful pay, there will be plenty of other people lined up behind you.

I know quite a few people who moved to NYC for jazz (mostly from Kansas City and most going to school) and the majority fairly quickly transitioned into performing other types of music as there are more opportunities to make a living.

KC has a great tradition - the scene isn't what it used to be but it is still fairly strong. If you want to get by focussing only on jazz, you might find it easier in a city like KC (a big part of that would also be the lower cost of living) although there will be more of a ceiling on what you could achieve with less big-time opportunities.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
New York jazz is an adulterated form of the original.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 34,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
New York is great at what they do, but New Orleans is the undisputed capital of REAL jazz. I suggest you do your research.
New Orleans is surely the birth place of jazz, and still has a great scene like I said. I was just there playing jazz music a week ago, and I work at the village vanguard in ny. I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. In terms of sheer volume of musicians, from amateurs to world renowned artists, ny crushes any other city on earth. As someone else said, it means there are plenty of people willing to play for cheap/free. So it's not necessarily the best place to make a living.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilf View Post
New Orleans is surely the birth place of jazz, and still has a great scene like I said. I was just there playing jazz music a week ago, and I work at the village vanguard in ny. I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. In terms of sheer volume of musicians, from amateurs to world renowned artists, ny crushes any other city on earth. As someone else said, it means there are plenty of people willing to play for cheap/free. So it's not necessarily the best place to make a living.
That doesn't make it the capital, sorry. New Orleans jazz was born out of a thriving culture that is absent from NYC. It's about so much more than the music.

Again, New York is great at what they do, but it's not the real thing.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
How is it not the real thing. Jazz is just a form, it doesn't have to stay in one place. Good rock is produced in the UK and the US for example. Jazz is very big in France, Montreux Jazz Festival is a huge event, bigger than anything in the U.S. including New Orleans, I've been to both Montreux and New Orleans as well as Chicago's and Montreux is easily better. Jazz is also huge in Quebec, the biggest jazz fest is in Montreal. Montreux's is also older than New Orleans.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How is it not the real thing. Jazz is just a form, it doesn't have to stay in one place. Good rock is produced in the UK and the US for example. Jazz is very big in France, Montreux Jazz Festival is a huge event, bigger than anything in the U.S. including New Orleans, I've been to both Montreux and New Orleans as well as Chicago's and Montreux is easily better. Jazz is also huge in Quebec, the biggest jazz fest is in Montreal. Montreux's is also older than New Orleans.
It doesn't matter. I'm not saying that New York's and Montreal's jazz scenes aren't great, but, hell, both cities are located more than 1,000 miles away from the very foundations of the sound. Being the capital requires a lot more than simply capitalizing on an art form that isn't even native to your city or its people.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I mean I'd go for it's the most authentic of the original sound, but sounds change and maybe OP plays in a certain style. I agree it's a different *type* of jazz in those cities also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City