Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Also a little surprised by Mississippi. What great things has Mississippi done for popular music?
Just the King of Rock and Roll, Muddy Waters and B.B King....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Kidding you with what, Big state 10,000,000 people ain't even in the top 20

North Carolina needs to get somebody to sing or dance or something
North Carolina is an inexplicable hotbed for American Idol heavyweights | The Year in Music | Indy Week

If you were honestly expecting NC to be ranked high in proportion to population, I will not continue to waste my time.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncto... View Post
If your mom lets you choose the radio station on your way to school tomorrow; try listening to some country hits; listen to the lyrics of Wagon Wheel, Carolina (Parmalee song)....JAMES TAYLOR....

I don't know why you hate NC so much but at least make fun of us for something relevant like our crazy GA and Governor or the Bobcats, or Fayetteville.
He hates NC because NC gets more attention than Tennessee.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
So they ranked it on if artists were born there? That seems a bit odd. Every pop song I hear on the radio is about California, somehow I doubt NY beats CA when it comes to pop music. Empire State of Mind is the only song on the radio I've ever heard about New York.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM

555 posts, read 714,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Also a little surprised by Mississippi. What great things has Mississippi done for popular music?
I can't believe I'm reading this. Blues, Rock and Roll, etc. It's also the literary capitol.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM

349 posts, read 572,801 times
Complex is geared more towards Hip Hop fans. Thats why Brother Ali and Slug are mentioned alongside Prince for Minneapolis for instance.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
The cities in like the top 16 aren't a bad listing of the most important states to American music... After that though there's a few that stand out it's sort of hard to quantify each state since a lot of places had some people who were born there but went onto big careers somewhere else or had a handful of more minor acts.

This is one ranking though that the South does rightfully very well in... Though as much as I love Mississippi Delta blues and the roots of a lot of it are in the state itself, I might have to put Michigan and Texas ahead of Mississippi(and maybe Illinois too, just based on Chicago), just because of the huge mix of music that came out of those states. I mean Michigan basically gave the world everything from Motown to proto-punk rock to the birth of techno music, while Texas has a huge amount of acts ranging from outlaw country to blues to rap to underground rock legends. Chicago really jump started electric blues(which influenced rock music heavily in the 60s), had a big place in early jazz and had a big role in house music. Tennessee and Louisiana and Georgia and Mississippi all should probably be in the top 10 however...

Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just the King of Rock and Roll, Muddy Waters and B.B King....
And all of those, in some capacity, owe their existence to the original blues legend, Robert Johnson.

And I'm a little surprised Iowa is so close to the bottom. It doesn't possess the musical history of the Coasts or the Delta, but it's no secret that it's home to a VERY large contingency of metal-heads. In addition to Slipknot, there's Stone Sour and Painface, and gobs and gobs of local acts. And several decades prior to that, Bix Beiderbecke (every bit the jazz legend of Satchmo and the Duke IMHO) was the biggest thing playing along the Mississippi River.

Last edited by fezzador; 11-13-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Go MN!

I am really impressed with Louisiana, which is #1 for NFL players per capita and I'm guessing tops for NBA or collegiate basketball! That state really swings above its weight when it comes to breeding famous/successful entertainers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City