Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is that Atlanta for that weird rave mysterland or fantasyland can't remember the name... I have seen a similar setup in Europe

The Hitchhiker’s Guide To Tomorrowland Festival | Disco Demons

Nm just looked closer...on phone

Kansas city??? Where is that

Is KC - apparently their new library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 PM

484 posts, read 871,002 times
Apropos

What L.A. Could Teach Michelin About Good Food

Why Los Angeles Is the Best Food Town in America

Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Excellent articles jimmykem.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ironic.
I'm sorry, can you try to explain why the pullout and poor book sales have nothing to do with each other? The guy cited LA being not foodies and that's why Michelin had poor sales. I have no idea what you're actually trying to argue here.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm sorry, can you try to explain why the pullout and poor book sales have nothing to do with each other? The guy cited LA being not foodies and that's why Michelin had poor sales. I have no idea what you're actually trying to argue here.
I'm not the one trying to interject my own reasoning where it's not even necessary, that would be YOU.

They said it was due to economic conditions-made no mention specifically of sales, that was YOU and others in this thread.

So yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one trying to interject my own reasoning where it's not even necessary, that would be YOU.

They said it was due to economic conditions-made no mention specifically of sales, that was YOU and others in this thread.

So yeah, thanks but no thanks.
What does economic conditions mean for a sector that makes its money on book sales as that's virtually their sole product (the Michelin Guide subdivision, not Michelin as a whole)? This shouldn't even bear mentioning. The guy was trying to explain poor sales.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What does economic conditions mean for a sector that makes its money on book sales as that's virtually their sole product (the Michelin Guide subdivision, not Michelin as a whole)? This shouldn't even bear mentioning. The guy was trying to explain poor sales.
How about you write an email to Michelin and ask for clarification instead of making up your own reasons?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
How about you write an email to Michelin and ask for clarification instead of making up your own reasons?
No one's made up anything. What is your issue here?

On topic: how in the hell does Momofuku keep getting those high ratings?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
Quote:
I've asked this before, but what does "economic conditions" mean besides "poor sales"?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
Michelin director Michael Ellis said LA isn't producing three-star restaurants at the moment because that's not what the public wants. Basically, the food is amazing, but it's not the type of amazing the Michelin prioritizes:

Quote:
Question: How do you think the Los Angeles guide might come back? Your predecessor, Jean-Luc Noret, was somewhat unimpressed by L.A.'s restaurant scene of a couple years ago, and said that there wasn't a single restaurant deserving of three stars.

Answer: I worked in Los Angeles while I was in college, because my best friend was from there. I worked as a waiter at Michael's in Santa Monica. Ken Frank, Jonathan Waxman, and Nancy Silverton were all working there at the time, and as you know, they've all gone on to great careers. I love L.A., and love going back there. In Los Angeles, like everywhere in the country, things evolve so quickly. It just takes one person with the right vision and enough money to invest, and they could hit it out of the park and open a three-star place. I've had unbelievable meals in L.A. in years past. Los Angeles is capable of great food, but it all depends on what the public wants. Maybe we're going through a period when the public is more interested in a certain kind of restaurant. I definitely think they'll produce three-star restaurants in the future.
A Chat With New Michelin Director Michael Ellis on S.F. Stars, and When the L.A. Guide Might Return -- Grub Street San Francisco

That has nothing to do with economic conditions, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City