U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM

5,645 posts, read 3,918,504 times

Advertisements

I do realize how vague that sounds. However, we are possibly going to be in a position to relocate. I'm from smallish cities in central Florida (raised in Gainesville) and now that I've experienced life in a bigger city, I have come to realize just how many amenities we have access to that are just not there in the small and even medium sized cities.

I don't need or even want "big" like Chicago or NYC, but a metro area the size of Milwaukee seems perfect. 30-45 minutes to get to the opposite side of town (if you include the suburbs), plenty of freeway access, easy airport access since our families are all out of state, lots of Targets (lol) and a decent amount of big employers in the area (since this lends itself to a more stable local economy). I believe comparable cities that I am familiar with would be Orlando and Tampa.

We are currently looking at Nashville, Knoxville, Louisville, Lexington and Charlotte, NC. I am wanting to explore these are far as if they meet our needs regarding what I mentioned above before we start looking for jobs there, since if we don't want to live in those areas, there's no sense in job-searching anyway.

We do have two small children so safety is an issue but we would be living in the suburbs, not in the city, so this is less of a deal-breaker since the majority of violent crime happens in more impoverished urban areas, and we could avoid those for the most part (we certainly would not be living in it, but possibly just driving through). I'm more concerned with there being enough for them to do as far as the parks system, museums, that kind of thing. Schools are not a concern per se since we plan to homeschool anyway, but we also don't want to live surrounded by idiots b/c the school system sucks. lol

The deal-breaker for my husband is the cold weather, and the deal-breaker for me is the heat, so that's why we are looking at more moderate climates. Housing cost and general cost of living are major considerations. Milwaukee is a tad expensive plus we were not used to having state income tax (which is another reason we're looking at TN).

I would love to find out more about the cities I mentioned but am definitely open to suggestions! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 AM

6,373 posts, read 10,221,549 times
Define what you consider hot and cold...because the cities you are looking at can have a healthy dose of both.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM

5,645 posts, read 3,918,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Define what you consider hot and cold...because the cities you are looking at can have a healthy dose of both.
We have only lived in the extremes. WI is cold and gets A LOT of snow. FL is too hot for me, it's almost Thanksgiving and just getting into what I would consider fall...which involves a few trees dropping some brown leaves (it's just now cold enough to put on a sweater). I would like real seasons but my husband does not like the extreme cold nor does he like to shovel snow on a daily basis. So we compromised and some snow is okay but nothing like the blanket of snow Milwaukee has for a good 4-6 months out of the year...and hot summers are okay but nothing like how it's in the high 80s and into the 90s for like 8 months of the year in FL. There has to be a middle ground. Mind you, Milwaukee gets those very high temps in July and August and with no central air, it's pretty darn uncomfortable. I do expect mid-summer to be uncomfortable anywhere but FL is just too hot for too long. And Wisconsin is too cold for too long. I hope this makes sense.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM

6,373 posts, read 10,221,549 times
Well, the cities you mentioned will provide a middle ground...but most of them are still hot (and sticky) for 4-5 months. It can also get rather cold in a lot of these places...just not for the extended periods like Wisconsin. It does snow, but generally very little accumulation (if snow is at shoveling depth, you're not going anywhere anyways, because those locations do not have the snow clearing equipment to keep most things open -- 2-4" of snow will mess a lot of things up. 5-6" can completely shut things down).

Fall and Spring are generally pretty comfortable, and winters are mild to cold (highs in the 30s-50s, lows in the 30s, 20s, extremes in the 60s and 70s on the high end, and down to the teens and single digits on the low end). It's 4 seasons of weather, for sure. Whether or not you find it comfortable, or the right mix, is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or