Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TX triangle vs SoCal
TX triangle 46 33.82%
SoCal 90 66.18%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM

281 posts, read 472,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
That link states that Austin is the second safest when it comes to violence. It ranks much lower when non-violent crimes like burglary, property crime, larceny, etc are included. Much lower as in 205th!

Los Angeles is 53rd. There are 23 California cities in the top 50 and only 4 Texas cities. The highest ranked Texas Triangle city is Frisco which is behind 6 southern California cities.

Link to list
Had no idea, that's great news though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
A NYer moved to Dallas and said there's only a 2-3 neighborhoods in the entire city that people actually walk around in. Not fun areas, just basic stuff like grabbing a coffee, groceries etc.

THAT"S INSANE. For a city that large? Uh....I've seen Dallas on google street view. It looks very, very suburban. I can understand people like it, but it's not my cup of tea. Then you have those large sections of south Dallas that look rural.

So whatever Texas has for FUN, doesn't match SoCal.

Sorry.
That's fine but have you ever been to Texas? Have you experience Austin or San Antonio? Perhaps if you visit it may change your mind.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Texas may not have California weather or beaches and mountain but we do the best we can. If you do not like Dallas or Houston try Austin or San Antonio both or similar to San Diego but without the ocean and mountains.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,476 times
Easily SoCal in everything except for cost of living. LA along is far superior to the triangle. Putting in the rest of SoCal and the gap is hilariously large. The triangle has a loooong way to go before it should be mentioned in the same sentence. SoCal is the NBA and the triangle is the Chinese or any lower tier European league by comparison. It's just not the same.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Texas may not have California weather or beaches and mountain but we do the best we can. If you do not like Dallas or Houston try Austin or San Antonio both or similar to San Diego but without the ocean and mountains.
I lived in Texas for some years, the thing that really got to me was the heat, however what Texas offers that CA did once but doesn't no more is the American dream of owning a house with a modest salary, that's something no one can argue against.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,315 times
SoCal wins in the following categories:

Infrastructure
Future
Higher Ed
QOL
Cities
Suburbs
Nature
Shopping
Weather
Sports
Food
Crime (assuming you mean less)

SoCal and the Texas Triangle are tied in the following categories:

Economy
Suburbs

The Texas Triangle wins in the following category:

COL

SoCal still has a large media and entertainment industry and has several top tier universities and unless an earthquake takes it away, it's not going to change. Texas has a diverse economy but lets just be real... it's foundation is oil. As the United States and the developed world continues to push forward towards "green" alternatives and less dependence on crude oil, Texas is going to slowly start to see it's economy suffer.

Houston and Dallas are big boys now no doubt, but every honest soul knows that even combined they are NO match for Los Angeles... much less Los Angeles and San Diego combined (although Houston and/or Dallas would easily run the train on San Diego).

Calabassas, Hollywood Hills, Pacific Palisades et al are suburban juggernauts but I'm sorry, the best suburbs in Texas and especially in the Southeastern United States kill even the loveliest of California suburbs.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
SoCal wins in the following categories:

Infrastructure
Future
Higher Ed
QOL
Cities
Suburbs
Nature
Shopping
Weather
Sports
Food
Crime (assuming you mean less)

SoCal and the Texas Triangle are tied in the following categories:

Economy
Suburbs

The Texas Triangle wins in the following category:

COL

SoCal still has a large media and entertainment industry and has several top tier universities and unless an earthquake takes it away, it's not going to change. Texas has a diverse economy but lets just be real... it's foundation is oil. As the United States and the developed world continues to push forward towards "green" alternatives and less dependence on crude oil, Texas is going to slowly start to see it's economy suffer.

Houston and Dallas are big boys now no doubt, but every honest soul knows that even combined they are NO match for Los Angeles... much less Los Angeles and San Diego combined (although Houston and/or Dallas would easily run the train on San Diego).

Calabassas, Hollywood Hills, Pacific Palisades et al are suburban juggernauts but I'm sorry, the best suburbs in Texas and especially in the Southeastern United States kill even the loveliest of California suburbs.
Well many of the categories are subjective, but I do think the triangle wins in infrastructure well atleast when it comes to the highways and surface streets. The highways in TX are very modern and smooth, more well kept and cleaner, LA freeways on the other hand are unkept, old, outdated signs with graffiti, and the design of the on and off ramps are outdated as well. Orange and San Diego counties do have cleaner more modern freeways, but to be honest there's something to sterile about them, I prefer the grime, old looking, and graffiti plagued freeways of LA for some reason, hard to explain.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM

572 posts, read 708,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
That's fine but have you ever been to Texas? Have you experience Austin or San Antonio? Perhaps if you visit it may change your mind.
I've been to San Antonio.

I go off recommendations of what people tell me are interesting places to visit. Texas, outside of 6th in Austin, or even SA Riverwalk....nothing else comes up.

Nothing in Dallas or Houston. The only time I've heard of awesome neighborhoods in those cities are on these forums. Nowhere else really.

I've seen Montrose or Rice Village or Greenville in Dallas on google maps. They don't look interesting at all. Just don't have a ton of incentive to go.

But I'll check out 6th street in Austin one day.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
I've been to San Antonio.

I go off recommendations of what people tell me are interesting places to visit. Texas, outside of 6th in Austin, or even SA Riverwalk....nothing else comes up.

Nothing in Dallas or Houston. The only time I've heard of awesome neighborhoods in those cities are on these forums. Nowhere else really.

I've seen Montrose or Rice Village or Greenville in Dallas on google maps. They don't look interesting at all. Just don't have a ton of incentive to go.

But I'll check out 6th street in Austin one day.
Can't judge a city/neighborhood with streetview.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM

572 posts, read 708,939 times
I think it tells a lot. It shows what's there. I'm pretty damn sure all of those big suburban northside Dallas streets aren't bustling with activity. I can see Brookyln and tell it's very urban and in real life, people are probably all over the place.

I can see Rice Village in Houston is very auto oriented with parking all over the place. How bustling can it truly be?

I assumed Rice Village was silimar to Westwood Village or something. It's not even close.

I checked Korea Town on google before I moved here. It's pretty silimar to what Google shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City