Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
The Bay Area 23 58.97%
South Florida 16 41.03%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:32 PM

171 posts, read 407,240 times

Advertisements

I know these places are completely different, but I thought this would be pretty awesome to discuss.

In these categories, which region do you think is:

1) Fun for a young person (19-20's)
2) Dating diversity (interracial)
3) Variety of things to do.
4) Hottest women (or men for our lady friends)
5) Easier to make friends in.
6) Less racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
1 Depends on the scene. For clubbing/beaches/ Miami, for hipsters/artists the Bay.
2 The Bay Area
3 Tied
4 Miami
5 Not sure, Miami I think.
6 Tied

Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Miami beach stand alone beats anything in San Francisco. But San Francisco beats anything in Miami proper. I say when you add everything together their about tied with a slight edge to Miami.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
1. Depends on your personal interest.
2. South Florida has more diversity with Cubans,Haitians,Caribbean,Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Brazilian, Domincans, etc. etc. as well as Asians and more African Americans. Bay area is mostly Mexican, Asian, White, African American.
3. Hmmm. California has the Mountains and Vineyards which South Florida doesn't. Florida has better nightlife, much better boating and fishing culture. Miami close to Bahamas other Islands. Bay Area close to Reno. For my taste South Florida.
4. Definitely Miami.
5. Miami. It's not completely the South anymore but still has some of that Southern Hospitality. Californians are friendly but not as much.
6. Both have pockets of racist but too much diversity for racist to factor too much. Tie.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
A lot of it really depends on what you are into... I'm not really a fan of Miami style night life. It's predominantly hip hop, dance clubs, salsa or techno clubs... can't say I'm into any of those. Definitely prefer bars, craft brew bars, wine bars, irish pubs, dives w/ music, lounge with a jazz band, etc. I can't even remember the last time I went to a club or anything resembling it, maybe once in the last 5 years, where as I go to the former multiple times a week. Miami is one of the last places I'd want to go out for night life, but for other people, it might be their first. It's pretty polarizing IMO.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
1. Depends on your personal interest.
2. South Florida has more diversity with Cubans,Haitians,Caribbean,Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Brazilian, Domincans, etc. etc. as well as Asians and more African Americans. Bay area is mostly Mexican, Asian, White, African American.
"Asians" includes a lot of different groups. The five largest asian groups in the Bay Area are Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Vietnamese, and Korean. The bay's hispanic population is mostly Mexican, but it does have some diversity to it too. There are Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Chileans, Hondurans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Brazilians, etc.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
"Asians" includes a lot of different groups.
Yes that was hilarious. Asia is considerably more linguistically and culturally diverse than Latin America.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM

349 posts, read 572,801 times
I would say that in terms of nightlife, Miami does one thing well, and that's clubbing, especially after hours, with clubs that close at Noon. So if the club scene is your thing, and you have tons of disposable income (to get dressed to the tee, pay cover, buy expensive drinks, take a taxi home, or valet fee) then I'd choose Miami for nightlife. Its probably the best area for this in the US.

However, for more practical, well-rounded nightlife, I'd choose SF easily. Statistically, there's as many options for nightlife in the city of SF as there is for the entire area stretching from Homestead all the way up to Ft.Lauderdale, including Miami and Miami Beach.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
"Asians" includes a lot of different groups. The five largest asian groups in the Bay Area are Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Vietnamese, and Korean. The bay's hispanic population is mostly Mexican, but it does have some diversity to it too. There are Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Chileans, Hondurans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Brazilians, etc.
I'm perfectly aware that Asia has an endless number of ethnic varieties. I'm just not as keen on the different Asian cultures in South Florida as I am on other cultures so I simply said Asian the same way I simply said White even though I know whites consist of Irish, Scot, English, German, etc. etc, descent.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
My vote would be Miami overall. Here's why:

1. More clubs and an active nightlife. For me, that would be something I would want. San Fran's more hipster-like culture is much more laid-back and reserved in comparison to this. It just depends on you ultimately.
2. From my own experience, I've seen more interracial couples in Miami than San Fran. I'm sure they are somewhat equal, however. It would be hard to measure this.
3. Variety? Perhaps Bay Area. This would also depend on preference. The Bay Area is near Reno and ski resorts, SoCal and all its amenities, Portland, but San Fran also offers a ton in itself. Miami pretty much relies on itself, since north of Miami (not directly, but a couple hours or so maybe?) offers a very different culture that most Miami citizens don't like. Miami has the beach with its warm water, but has a bigger boating/fishing culture, and the nightlife thing I said earlier.
4. Miami has some guys with some very nice muscles
5. Easier to make friends in? Once again, depends on who you are. San Fran I would say is more reserved as a whole. Miami, eh, not so much lol . If your preference levels match more with San Francisco, then San Fran would be much easier to make friends in. Vice versa to Miami. Personally, I'd probably be better off in Miami.
6. Err, I don't know about this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City