Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities that offer the best class mobility?
New York City 2 8.33%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Chicago 1 4.17%
DC 2 8.33%
Atlanta 2 8.33%
Seattle 3 12.50%
Houston 3 12.50%
Dallas 2 8.33%
San Francisco Bay Area 2 8.33%
Austin 1 4.17%
Kansas City 1 4.17%
St. Louis 2 8.33%
Cleveland 1 4.17%
Cincinatti 2 8.33%
New Jeresy 0 0%
Richmond (Virgnia) 0 0%
Miami 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,570,655 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about places with the "best" economy. Nor places with the most Fortune 500 companies. I'm talking about places where someone can be born from the slums, be dirty poor, and work their way up to different class levels. You know the American dream of someone being able to look at their old neighborhood from a high rise condo.

So I wonder which city offers the dream of moving between class levels the most. In my opinion, I think West Coast city has a more constant upper class, with very few people moving between class levels. Many of the people who get ahead on the West Coast are generally from middle-upper middle class background, were able to attend high end universities, and get well paying jobs in their professional career.

When I was in NYC, I often met people who were born in the projects are tough neighborhood, work their way up, and had great professional careers. I've found a lot of this in Atlanta too.

So which cities offer the best class to class mobility.

EDIT: Looks like I mispelled the title. Is there anyway I can edit this?

I mean "Which cities are easiest to go from lower to middle/upper class"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:17 PM

132 posts, read 544,697 times
Let's see, in order for this to happen you would need:
- A good enough and diverse economy
- Access to good, inexpensive public universities
- A low cost of living
- A lack of old money, who might not care too much for new money (nothing against old money -- most symphony orchestras
would be nothing without them)

Some places that might fit this criteria:
Minneapolis-St.Paul, MN
Sacramento, CA
Denver, CO
Tucson and Phoenix, AZ
Dallas and Houston, TX

Maybe Atlanta, but I'm not familiar with how social hierarchy involving class functions in the Deep South in terms of economic mobility and new money.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,289,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Let's see, in order for this to happen you would need:
- A good enough and diverse economy
- Access to good, inexpensive public universities
- A low cost of living
- A lack of old money, who might not care too much for new money (nothing against old money -- most symphony orchestras
would be nothing without them)

Some places that might fit this criteria:
Minneapolis-St.Paul, MN
Sacramento, CA
Denver, CO
Tucson and Phoenix, AZ
Dallas and Houston, TX

Maybe Atlanta, but I'm not familiar with how social hierarchy involving class functions in the Deep South in terms of economic mobility and new money.
AND a area where people are open to new things and not be constricted by an overly racist environment.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM

132 posts, read 544,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
AND a area where people are open to new things and not be constricted by an overly racist environment.
Alright, I'll scratch out the AZ and TX locations.

My revised list:
Minneapolis
Denver
Sacramento

How come none of these are choices in the poll?

Last edited by mayonaise; 11-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,289,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Alright, I'll scratch out the AZ and TX locations.

My revised list:
Minneapolis
Denver
Sacramento

How come none of these are choices in the poll?

I dunno

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Sacremento doesnt have a great economy or a lot of jobs. People drive 3 hours to the bay area each way for a reason

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,172,554 times
I think class mobility in America is so closely correlated to race, educational attainment, and where you start in life. It really doesn't matter where you live.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,303,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I am not talking about places with the "best" economy. Nor places with the most Fortune 500 companies. I'm talking about places where someone can be born from the slums, be dirty poor, and work their way up to different class levels. You know the American dream of someone being able to look at their old neighborhood from a high rise condo.

So I wonder which city offers the dream of moving between class levels the most. In my opinion, I think West Coast city has a more constant upper class, with very few people moving between class levels. Many of the people who get ahead on the West Coast are generally from middle-upper middle class background, were able to attend high end universities, and get well paying jobs in their professional career.

When I was in NYC, I often met people who were born in the projects are tough neighborhood, work their way up, and had great professional careers. I've found a lot of this in Atlanta too.

So which cities offer the best class mobility
Actually the West Coast fares well in this regard.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ticleLarge.png

Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 PM

92,591 posts, read 122,890,392 times
Equality of Opportunity

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...ters.html?_r=0

Upward Mobility Is No Less Common in

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ward-mobility/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-21-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 10:18 PM

I have a hard time believing Seattle is very mobile. In my tile living there I noticed thatany of the poor were poor for multiple generations. And the professional class were at that class level growing up. I'm guessing this 5% measurement doesn't tell the entire story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City