Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,943 times

Advertisements

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I live in Chicago known for gangsters, thugs, and corrupt politicians. Illinois is an economic disaster and the ******* mafia in Chicago has destroyed the soul of this once great city.

I am looking for a change. I support tea party principles of small government and less interference from Washington. I am looking for a place that is socially conservative yet socially tolerant. Somewhere with fresh local produce, happy and healthy people, and a wide array of outdoor opportunities. I would prefer somewhere with warm winters but I could settle for winters in the forties. Economic potential is also a very important factor to me as I wish to live comfortably and give those around me the best chance to succeed. I am 22 y/o and specialize in truck dispatching and Austrian economics. I am looking for cities with friendly people, nice weather, beautiful topography and/or beaches and a vibrant economy. Which cities should I look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 11:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatchingtraveler View Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I live in Chicago known for gangsters, thugs, and corrupt politicians. Illinois is an economic disaster and the ******* mafia in Chicago has destroyed the soul of this once great city.

I am looking for a change. I support tea party principles of small government and less interference from Washington. I am looking for a place that is socially conservative yet socially tolerant. Somewhere with fresh local produce, happy and healthy people, and a wide array of outdoor opportunities. I would prefer somewhere with warm winters but I could settle for winters in the forties. Economic potential is also a very important factor to me as I wish to live comfortably and give those around me the best chance to succeed. I am 22 y/o and specialize in truck dispatching and Austrian economics. I am looking for cities with friendly people, nice weather, beautiful topography and/or beaches and a vibrant economy. Which cities should I look into?
Savannah? By Georgia standards it's pretty liberal, but compared to Chicago you'll find it conservative. The locally grown organic produce / markets / restaurants are all the rage right now, it's a young, artsy, funky community with plenty of young people and opportunities, and it's right on the coast with abundant outdoor activities and nearby beaches. Further, the Port of Savannah is the 4th-busiest in the nation and fastest growing in the country. Trucking / distribution / warehouse / logistics companies abound.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Mountain West states like Arizona and New Mexico.
or New Hampshire, NH passed a bill to ban income tax and Same sex marriage is legal.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Somewhere in the Sunbelt with stronger job growth. Maybe Texas?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatchingtraveler View Post
******* mafia in Chicago has destroyed the soul of this once great city.
1. Chicago's machine politics are a shell of what they were under Richard J. Daley.
2. Chicago hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1931, so that alleged death didn't happen recently.

In any case, if Chicago is too "******* mafia" for you, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Atlanta.

We have friendly people, decent climate, we are near several mountains, we have two large lakes nearby, we have plenty of outdoor activities, plenty of music festivals, plenty of festivals, we have the largest number of direct flights at our airport, cheaper COL, no toll roads, beautiful forest topography, etc

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Atlanta.

We have friendly people, decent climate, we are near several mountains, we have two large lakes nearby, we have plenty of outdoor activities, plenty of music festivals, plenty of festivals, we have the largest number of direct flights at our airport, cheaper COL, no toll roads, beautiful forest topography, etc
Atlanta the city is quite liberal and we have our fair share of corrupt politicians too. I guess up in the mountains would work.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
The OP is looking for a place that is 'socially conservative' yet 'socially tolerant'? Never heard of the two qualities going together.

Clearly he/she lived on Chicago's much safer North Side and is most likely bothered by it's more diverse and culturally rich landscape than the small town USA they grew up in - anybody with half a conservative brain wouldn't live on the South Side.

Chiraq? Lol. They don't know what its actually like to grow up in a ghetto - keep dreamin'.

To answer the question, somewhere Northwest perhaps would work. Kalispel, Montana. For Collins, Colorado. Bakersfield, California. Many of which are full of people that don't like change.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
It sounds like you've described Tampa.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Check out the Inman Park area of Atlanta. You would love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City