Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,833 times

Advertisements

1:30am last call....that's so cute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Well since everyone cannot be everywhere, posting videos for people to see is a good way to show the vibe, vibrancy and popularity of clubs and bars. It's a good substitute. Idk how the videos are hard to judge. I look at club videos and know the exact vibe of a place. Videos are better than people's personal statements. I see you're not a very visual person.
Because every city probably has a few clubs with energy.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I believe last call is at 2:00 a.m., though many bars will call it at 1:30 so they can close by 2 (they're not legally required to do so). I assume you're talking about Philly, but I can be wrong. There's talk of moving it back an hour, but that never seems to go anywhere.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
LOL, I was at a random bar til almost 5AM on wednesday night at an after hour spot in South Philly-last call doesn't mean much, you can party 24/7 if you really want to but I'd much rather be at my own or someone else's house by a certain point in the night.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No, don't you understand? It proves that Philadelphia is the mostest hippest, happeningest place on the planet. Can't you seeeeeeee that?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So you'll have to go to these clubs to find out?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 PM

52 posts, read 109,554 times
Atlanta, Portland, then Philly (in that order)

Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 AM

9 posts, read 12,112 times
I moved to Philadelphia for my job about ten years ago so I know what it is like to move and live here. I would not recommend it if you have options. You will find that unlike most cities there are not a lot of transplants here, only families who have lived here for generations and are very tribal and the other group are people who only stay a few years for work or school before getting out. The natives are very loyal to the city and love it, but only because of the tribal thing. Visit a place like Chicago and you will see what an American city can be like. There is not much of an upside here other than it is relatively affordable. The city itself is one of the "grittiest" you'll find. Think Buffalo. You will see blocks and blocks or run down row homes and vacant lots. You will see a typical middle class neighborhood and think... wow, anywhere else this would be a ghetto, then you come across a ghetto (there are MANY) and think, wow, did I just cross over into a third world country. Make sure you come and visit for a solid week before deciding to move here, and also make sure you go outside the few nice areas in center city to get a real picture.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igbee View Post
I moved to Philadelphia for my job about ten years ago so I know what it is like to move and live here. I would not recommend it if you have options. You will find that unlike most cities there are not a lot of transplants here, only families who have lived here for generations and are very tribal and the other group are people who only stay a few years for work or school before getting out. The natives are very loyal to the city and love it, but only because of the tribal thing. Visit a place like Chicago and you will see what an American city can be like. There is not much of an upside here other than it is relatively affordable. The city itself is one of the "grittiest" you'll find. Think Buffalo. You will see blocks and blocks or run down row homes and vacant lots. You will see a typical middle class neighborhood and think... wow, anywhere else this would be a ghetto, then you come across a ghetto (there are MANY) and think, wow, did I just cross over into a third world country. Make sure you come and visit for a solid week before deciding to move here, and also make sure you go outside the few nice areas in center city to get a real picture.
Lol.. It's kind of funny when people make accounts to just post something that has nothing to do with comparing the cities. Philly isn't for everyone, however it is kind of surpising you like chicago so much and dislike philadelphia so much. Chicago gets hate on here for many of the same reasons you listed. I honestly hate most of the tribal Philadelphians but those type of people exist everywhere though, and I actually think people in the outer boroughs of NYC are far worse because they think they are entitled to have some ego, while trashy Philadelphians are just A-holes. Anyway your assumption that center city neighborhoods are the only nice ones is pretty ignorant and stupid. The best part of philadelphia is the surrounding neighborhoods on all sides of Center City. If you can't make friends/have fun/do fun things/eat at cool restaurants/go bike riding/explore the parks/try new things/ go to concerts With the 1.1 million people here who live normal lives than maybe you should look yourself in the mirror and ponder why you actually live in a city in the first place.
But to compare these places is interesting. ATL has its own big city southern charm. I don't know Portland well personally but I have a friend there that is always posting things about having cocktails and looking at art which tends to go with the sterotypical West coast laid back hipster yuppy vibe that I imagine exists there. Philadelphia is a large city with decayed industry backside and hidden gems all over the place, you just got to look a little bit closer.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-30-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 10:01 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Atlanta, Portland, then Philly (in that order)
Philly, Portland, then Atlanta. In that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City