Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by igbee View Post
I moved to Philadelphia for my job about ten years ago so I know what it is like to move and live here. I would not recommend it if you have options. You will find that unlike most cities there are not a lot of transplants here, only families who have lived here for generations and are very tribal and the other group are people who only stay a few years for work or school before getting out. The natives are very loyal to the city and love it, but only because of the tribal thing. Visit a place like Chicago and you will see what an American city can be like. There is not much of an upside here other than it is relatively affordable. The city itself is one of the "grittiest" you'll find. Think Buffalo. You will see blocks and blocks or run down row homes and vacant lots. You will see a typical middle class neighborhood and think... wow, anywhere else this would be a ghetto, then you come across a ghetto (there are MANY) and think, wow, did I just cross over into a third world country. Make sure you come and visit for a solid week before deciding to move here, and also make sure you go outside the few nice areas in center city to get a real picture.
Try moving to Atlanta. Holy **** what a snooze fest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 PM

198 posts, read 259,417 times
I'd for sure want to live in Portland(Oregon ofc).
I've already lived in Atlanta, so I guess Philly would be my next choice.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
I would think the majority of americans would choose Portland or Atlanta. The urbanists would favor Philadelphia. I am a fan of Portland which has a quasi urban flavor.

I believe Philadlephia is the smallest city geographically but has roughly 2x the population of Portland and 3x the population of Atlanta.

Philadelphia Photos by me

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Probably Philadelphia, because of the history, all the colleges in the area, the good food, and the proximity to both Washington DC and New York City for weekend trips.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Again. Philly has plenty of options until 3am, 3:30am, 4am and even 6am.

Not at all. There are cities with better nightlife than Philly no doubt. NYC, Miami, Atlantic City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas, New Orleans and San Francisco.

While ATL does the flashy spend $200 a night club thing well, and Philly certainly offers plenty of these, Philly does overall nightlife better. Both cities do Festivals/Concerts very well. Also, the women in ATL are certainly NOT better looking lol, such a stereotype.

College Mansion at Xfinity Live - YouTube

Barstool Blackout - Fckin Foam - Philadelphia - YouTube

DJ NEMYSIS at GLOW - (MAD RIVER - Philadelphia, PA) - YouTube

ESNTL TV - WIth the DJ - Scotty Boy & Tiesto at LIT - YouTube

Matthew Macchioni at Rumor Philly - Grand Opening Weekend - YouTube

FINISH HIM @ RED SKY PHILLY 12/29/12 - YouTube
Sorry. Not trying to hate really. But those look identical to clubs you see in major cities all over America every weekend. Because of the music and entertainment industry here Atlanta like New York, Miami, and Vegas attracts a non stop string of celebrity sponsored and attended parties from top entertainers year round.
This is old but the same thing still happening now. Just some of the parties that took place just in the Spring/Summer of 2010.

Yeah I know it's mostly African American but that's just the videos I found. The point I was making is that for serious club goers Atlanta's club scene is extremly busy with one epic party after another and another all year long. Here you see parties attended by Chris Brown, Bow Wow, Camron, Stacy Dash, Amerie, Big Boi, Vivica Fox, Gabrielle Union, Lebron James, P Diddy, Ciara, Floyd Mayweather, Jermaine Dupri, Rhianna, Meagan Goode, Common, Tyrese, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes Niki Minaj, Trina, and lots more. And these were just Spring-Summer 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7W...JDOm9bJVeMkuUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utzd...JDOm9bJVeMkuUQ

Last edited by Galounger; 12-02-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 AM

591 posts, read 820,740 times
Portland would be my choice. Very urban, clean, and progressive. With an amazing restaurant/bar scene and breathtaking natural beauty.
Also, a very short trip away from Seattle and San Francisco.

Last edited by dapper23; 12-03-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 11:32 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igbee View Post
I moved to Philadelphia for my job about ten years ago so I know what it is like to move and live here. I would not recommend it if you have options. You will find that unlike most cities there are not a lot of transplants here, only families who have lived here for generations and are very tribal and the other group are people who only stay a few years for work or school before getting out. The natives are very loyal to the city and love it, but only because of the tribal thing. Visit a place like Chicago and you will see what an American city can be like. There is not much of an upside here other than it is relatively affordable. The city itself is one of the "grittiest" you'll find. Think Buffalo. You will see blocks and blocks or run down row homes and vacant lots. You will see a typical middle class neighborhood and think... wow, anywhere else this would be a ghetto, then you come across a ghetto (there are MANY) and think, wow, did I just cross over into a third world country. Make sure you come and visit for a solid week before deciding to move here, and also make sure you go outside the few nice areas in center city to get a real picture.
Riiiiiight........ There are some really jacked up hoods in the city but there are many more that are completely well kept, ranging from brownstones, grey stones, row homes, and town homes. As well as victorians, split levels, and mansions.

Sorry dude,I grew up there and most recently I spent the entire summer there and I shots lots of photos in various neighborhoods as and I've seen the city in a far worse state of condition. It's improved and still continuing to redevelop. As far as this "Tribal BS" you're speaking about. can you elaborate? It behooves me when people feel they're entitled to meet city residents from other places as if that will enhance their quality of life.

News Flash, if he chose Chicago he'd find the same parochialism in that town also. Whether it's based on long time ethnic neighborhoods that are changing ethnic groups, poor areas that are gentrifying, or long time stable neighborhoods, that are destabilizing, you'll find some attitudes and opinions from those who've been there a long time. Same in Atlanta, big time. Especially from the locals and other southerners who have their opinions about "Attytoodish Northerners." Here in LA, outside of a few key areas based around the entertainment industry it's the same when you start to delve into other sections of town. It's about "THEIR" neighborhoods, high schools they've attended, their families, their networks, dining tastes, etc., etc.

I know the OP chose Philadelphia, but just for others who've commented o this year old thread, here's a few photos I shot back in August while in the Spring Garden-Francisville & Fairmount neighborhoods. I walked from Broad and Fairmount to 22nd Spring Garden down to 24th & Locust and up to Broad and Vine. There were blocks and blocks of really nice homes, parks, playgrounds, restaurants, stores, schools, foot traffic, etc. I also did this in some of the North West Philly neighborhoods, as well as the Mid to Far Northeast, and South Philly areas. Didn't have time to shoot in University City and surrounding neighborhoods, nor the far parts of West Philly like Overbrook Park, Wynnfield, etc. I was at a wedding in East Oak Lane and noticed just how nice the neighborhood and homes were and promised myself that I'd come back to snap a few shots there too. Philly is NOT nearly as bad as you and some others have made it out to be.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0558.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	783.4 KB
ID:	140577

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0561.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	140578

Name:	SPRING GARDEN 40.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	140579

Name:	_MG_0693.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	785.1 KB
ID:	140580

Name:	SPRING GARDEN 36.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	834.1 KB
ID:	140581

Name:	_MG_0911.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	140582

Name:	_MG_0808.JPG b.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1,023.7 KB
ID:	140583[/ATTACH]

Old 12-06-2014, 05:03 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
People can research the numbers for themselves. I was surprised at how much crime Atlanta had after I moved here. When people are moving to new cities, their prime concern is often safety. Be fair and give people the whole story. For a city its size, Atlanta has a lot of crime. There's no denying that and no one needs to lie about it.

"With a crime rate of 89 per one thousand residents, Atlanta has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 11.

With a population of 432,427, Atlanta has a combined rate of violent and property crime that is very high compared to other places of similar population size. Regardless of whether Atlanta does well or poorly compared to all other cities and towns in the US of all sizes, compared to places with a similar population, it fares badly. Few other communities of this size have a crime rate as high as Atlanta.

For Atlanta, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Atlanta is one in 69."

I'll let you have it your way. Atlanta is very safe and that numbers that point to Atlanta's high crime are all made up.
Atlanta's low city core population gives it an unfair advantage causing it to be ranked high compared to cities of similar size such as Tuscon, Tulsa, or Colorado Springs. However the crime rate of the entire Atlanta MSA of over 5 million people is closer to the national average. Less than 10% of the MSA lives within the city of Atlanta, but most of the crimes in the MSA occurs in the city, and most of it is concentrated in certain parts of Atlanta (especially SW Atlanta) where most people don't have a reason to go, so crime is easily avoidable in Atlanta.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Atlanta, Portland, and then Philly. Recently visited Philly for business. Stayed downtown for a week. Just wasn't impressed at all.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Atlanta, Portland, and then Philly. Recently visited Philly for business. Stayed downtown for a week. Just wasn't impressed at all.
What do you think are some of the advantages to Atlanta over the other ones? Just interested in your thoughts as someone from GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City