Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Boston vs Los Angeles vs the Bay Area
Seattle 28 19.05%
Boston 35 23.81%
Los Angeles 50 34.01%
the Bay Area 34 23.13%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Yes, but also the neighborhoods feel "quaint" compared to other cities such as DC or SF, its hard to describe, but nonetheless it is the charming appeal of Boston.
Yeah most central neighborhoods do have a sort of "quaintness" to them... Though Back Bay near Prudential and downtown feel like you are in a really big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Seattle joined the Supertall club today:
Quote:
77-story tower planned for downtown Seattle

Seattle real estate development company Urban Visions on Thursday announced plans for a 77-story skyscraper at Second Avenue and Marion Street.

Real estate developer Greg Smith said he plans to build the tallest skyscraper in downtown Seattle on a site where the famous Metropolitan Grill steakhouse operates.

At 77 stories, it would be one floor taller than Seattle's tallest building, Columbia Center.
Quote:
Biggest news in the Pacific Northwest in decades.
77-story tower planned for downtown Seattle - Puget Sound Business Journal

Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 AM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
That's great news! I stay in Puget sound, can't wait for the renderings.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 AM

168 posts, read 194,676 times
Its close but I voted for Boston, (Mostly in large part to it's Proximity to Canada),
I also like the Large Brazilian Community they have down there.
If Boston wasn't on the list then I'd pick Los Angeles.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lishabello View Post
After doing extensive research, I have decided that I want to move to another city. I want to move to a city that has open-minded, friendly, and intelligent people and where there is a lot of interaction amongst people of different races. My four choices so far are Seattle, Boston, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area. Which city do you think has people of these characteristics?
Just as starters, please don't be so enamored with "intelligence" "open-minded". Both are very, VERY subjective. "Open-minded" usually equals "agrees with MY narrative of life". "Intelligence" equals "has a college degree AND agrees with MY narrative of life". I have a college degree, so I'm not just bashing education, lol. I just know college is less about actual education these days and more about political indoctrination and shunning diversity of thought. Having said that, the best area I would say would be LA, followed by Boston. There's a wider variety of thought and belief in the Los Angeles area compared to the other 3. I live near the Boston area, and while its Liberal, they're usually friendly to others who don't agree with their beliefs. That's at least been my experience. The Bay Area, by far, is the most intolerant area in the nation. Openly hostile towards other beliefs and labels most anything they don't agree as "hate speech". I've never seen it as bad in any other place in the nation. All 4 are very expensive places to live and none really have very much diversity of thought. Nevertheless, 1. Los Angeles, 2. Boston, 3. Seattle, 4. San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The Bay Area, by far, is the most intolerant area in the nation. Openly hostile towards other beliefs and labels most anything they don't agree as "hate speech". I've never seen it as bad in any other place in the nation.
You watch too much cable news.

Our activists are one thing, but the vast majority of people(like over 95%) here arent really like that. The fact that I have to explain this to you means youre not really knowledgable on the area.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:37 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
If it's racial diversity you want, I think you'd find that LA and the Bay area have more of it than Boston, and certainly have more than Seattle (which, I think, is at least 75% white).

Old 01-09-2018, 08:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
East Bay life in Cali for me.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
L.A by far: best and warm weather, much more exciting, best architectures, most people and most fun

Old 01-09-2018, 12:28 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
It's unfortunate that I've already stepped foot in Atlanta, prior to that, Boston was the least dense major metropolitan area in the world over 3 million that I had stepped foot in. The city itself and Cambridge and the like are fairly dense, the rest of it is lots of acreage, plots, forests, and trees. Oh and traffic heading into Rhode Island and Connecticut. Los Angeles' often associated for being spread out, maybe 1940-1960, today it's the densest urban area in the country and it accomplishes over three times the population of Boston's urban area in equal to or less land area.

I'd write a research paper on the unique type of small town sprawl in the outer bands of the Greater Boston area.

Anyhow, of your four choices, they're all fine for what you want. Seattle, Boston, or the Bay Area would probably be tops in the country (along with New York and Washington) for the intelligence vibe that you are seeking. I wouldn't really hold my breathe on Seattle being such a cosmopolitan place, sometimes I feel like the only time those people even see a Mexican is on George Lopez, the Television Show. It's grandly whites and Asians, the latter basically being an extension of the former culturally. Boston is a great city, it can be a little cold, especially on nights like tonight but it has a great flair about it and is designed differently than most of what you'd see in America. It has a good mix of diversity and integration but is resoundingly second tier to Greater Los Angeles and the Bay Area on that front (as well as many other places, in my opinion). Personally, I wouldn't hesitate, I'd go with Los Angeles. The end more than justifies the means, the most opportunities to be had there.

Cant talk about Seattle any further, I don't respect the place to offer an input. However, I'd probably look into the local forum to get a helping hand on your criteria by the locals themselves.
gotta' spread the love before i rep you up again. here are my calculations on metro densities:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45591801-post80.html

l.a. (#1) is double the density than boston (#4).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City