Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
LA & SF 54 33.33%
NYC 108 66.67%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Hotel California? That's in Todos Santos, Baja Mexico, unless someone is just referring to the Beverly Hills Hotel which was the album cover for the Eagle's "Hotel California"

I dunno really, but I doubt many tourists visit anywhere in South Central(unless they're checking out USC). There's a yearly jazz festival on Central Avenue(the heart of the old jazz scene back in the day) that might attract some adventurous jazz fans from out of town.

The last time I was in LA I stopped at the Watts Towers and there was a fair number of European and Canadian tourists there. But, it was still a fairly small crowd who was visiting...
There's a Hotel California in Santa Monica that we saw, I thought that was the hotel from the song/on the album but I guess I'm wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
I even wonder how many museums in the U.S. we can say are really "world-famous." The Met? Smithsonian? The Met is the only one I think would be instantly recognizable based on its structure...similar to the Louvre in this regard. Perhaps the Guggenheim too.

List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but that's really more or less the equivalent of Fulton Street in Bedford-Stuyvesant. Or the Marcy Projects. Even 125th Street/Apollo Theater in Harlem is famous, but I wouldn't necessarily put that on my short list of NYC destinations.

I'm only considering things that are truly world-famous. Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Notre Dame, the Louvre, Christ the Redeemer, etc.
Yes but South Central truly is world famous, even if there may not be much there to see. Okay it's not really one landmark but an area, but still, Compton or Watts has more name recognition than Bed-sty or something.

For the most famous landmarks, LA still boasts quite a few.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
You can do all 3 if you plan out things you really want to see. My niece from Auckland, NZ was here for 2 days staying with me after she came to the US to go to Vegas, fly to Miami to watch a Miami Heat game and then to New York to visit Century 21(a store) and then she came here to meet up with childhood friends from NZ who live here now and take in the local sights, and now she's in LA doing the LA thing for a few days before she flies back home to NZ.

It's whirlwind but it would be so much fun.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I even wonder how many museums in the U.S. we can say are really "world-famous." The Met? Smithsonian? The Met is the only one I think would be instantly recognizable based on its structure...similar to the Louvre in this regard.

List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'd say the Met, the Guggenheim Museum (largely because of it's Frank Lloyd Wright designed building), Smithsonian (several of them), Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), maybe the Natural History Museum in NY (the 'night at the museum films' helped) and the Getty Museum (helped by the 1995 Bean movie).

Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You can do all 3 if you plan out things you really want to see. My niece from Auckland, NZ was here for 2 days staying with me after she came to the US to go to Vegas, fly to Miami to watch a Miami Heat game and then to New York to visit Century 21(a store) and then she came here to meet up with childhood friends from NZ who live here now and take in the local sights, and now she's in LA doing the LA thing for a few days before she flies back home to NZ.

It's whirlwind but it would be so much fun.
The main reason she came to visit NYC was to visit a store? lol

Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Man, either of those choices would be interesting, but as others have said, if you want to see "America" there are far better trips. Some great road trips:

1. Chesapeake Bay Area. Fly into DC, or Baltimore, take a drive around the Bay, and maybe down the coast through the Carolinas, and visit the Outer Banks and Charleston, Savannah, and back up through the Eastern Piedmont.

2. Montana and Wyoming, and the Black Hills.

3. Fly to Chicago and drive south to New Orleans, along the Mississippi Stopping in St Louise, and Memphis

4. The Four Corners Region. Fly into Denver, and drive down into the Southwestern Desert. See Mesa Verde, Taos, Canyon de Chelles, and the Grand Canyon, and back up through Southern Utah through the Canyonlands.

5. New England. Fly into Boston and drive up the coast to Bar Harbor, take a day on Cape Cod.

For City life, I suggest Dallas/ Ft Worth, or Chicago, Boston, or New Orleans, Kansas City, Atlanta, or Miami. Pick one.

If you do go to New York, take a few days to drive upstate along the Hudson River.

If you go to LA and SF, fly into one and drive to the other to fly home.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The main reason she came to visit NYC was to visit a store? lol
When you fly for free on stand-by, you can pretty much do strange things like that I suppose.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'd say the Met, the Guggenheim Museum (largely because of it's Frank Lloyd Wright designed building), Smithsonian (several of them), Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), maybe the Natural History Museum in NY (the 'night at the museum films' helped) and the Getty Museum (helped by the 1995 Bean movie).
Bean? I could see if you said the Godfather or some movie that gets Marathon status on AMC. But Bean? I would say Rocky has done more for the Philadelphia Museum of Art than Bean has done for the Getty.

In my opinion, it's probably just the Met and MoMa that get mentioned in the same breath as the Louvre. The Smithsonian has big numbers, but I doubt it gets the same number of international tourists as these other museums. And I say that simply because DC doesn't get anywhere near the number of foreign tourists as NYC. It's also free and therefore more ideal for field trips.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Bean? I could see if you said the Godfather or some movie that gets Marathon status on AMC. But Bean? I would say Rocky has done more for the Philadelphia Museum of Art than Bean has done for the Getty.
Well, the Art Institute of Chicago is famous among Ferris Bueller's Day Off fans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City