Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 02:28 PM

135 posts, read 180,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Milwaukee sits on a lake that looks like an ocean, and a river runs through it, so that's a plus. There are run-down parts of the city in very certain areas, but there is also much stunning beauty. Milwaukee and Chicago suburbs abut each other, so that transition is pretty painless. Milwaukee has a lot going on, and it's fun. My family and friends from Chicago come up to Milwaukee several times each summer, just to have some fun in a different environment...they love it. Following, are just a few of my favorite places. A West Elm just opened last year in the Third Ward, and Restoration Hardware will open there this spring. The Third Ward is a very, very cool warehouse district. Milwaukee is also the home of Harley Davidson, so there are some pretty fun events every year that draw tens of thousands.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...xHAoEQ_AUICCgD

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...b4CnoQ_AUICCgD

https://www.google.com/search?q=summ...w=1920&bih=943

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...kvD2oQ_AUIBygC

https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...gFAmIQ_AUICSgE
Man...I could seriously spend an entire day looking at Milwaukee pictures and not even be mad. What a cool city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:40 AM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcskylinelover View Post
- Weather. Nothing that will be a huge shock from Seattle weather
Kansas City has the best weather -gets very little snow. Milwaukee will be a shock! COLD!

- Crime. Relatively safe, we know Seattle is far safer than most US cities so we know it'll be a decline
Safest to worst; Indy, Milwaukee, KC (worst! stay away from the East Side)

- Transport. Good public transport. I can't drive so I'd need to get around the city via public transport
KC has no rush hour because it has more highways and lanes per capita than any city in the US.
KC also has an awesome new downtown streetcar.

- Visually nice. We are used to a nice looking city, we want somewhere that is urban yet "pretty"
Kansas City is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. More fountains and boulevards than any other city and check out "Crown Center" and "the Plaza" ... 2 of the coolest places in the US.

- Good location. We want to be able to get to Chicago easily. This is where DH's family live (Oak Park)
Milwaukee obviously, Indy is short drive, KC is a cheap 40 minute flight.

- Friendly locals.
I think all 3 cities are friendly - cool charming, midwestern people!

- Not too many bugs. I have an extreme fear of bugs, so a place that has a relatively low amount of insects. Don't mind spiders but hate weird insects (cicadas, etc.)
You would hate KC - cicada central!
Sometimes they are so loud it's like a freight train, you can't hear yourself think.
Snowfall most years pales in comparison to the upper Midwest/Eastern Great Lakes,/Nor'easters, but can still be rather cumbersome. Not unheard of to be under a foot of snow followed by highs in the 50's within a week. Varies GREATLY by year...

No rush hour....? Compared to most large metros this is true. Our highway system (for the most part) was well planned and is often TOO efficient for it's own good. I'm sure downtown commuters from Olathe, Blue Springs, and Independence would disagree, though LOL. Crossing the south side of the metro between Johnson County, KS, and Lee's Summit during either rush, however, is about as bad as anyplace you can imagine not named LA or Atlanta. MODOT spent nearly a half billion on the Triangle for a reason...

Yes, Those cicadas can get loud as HELL! But they generally don't bother people or bite from my experience

While driving to CHI can be a doozy, you bring up a GREAT point with flights there being quick, cheap, and easy. From boarding to walking off the plane, you MIGHT spend 90 min. You can EASILY spend more time in traffic on the Tri-State/Edens/Kennedy/Eisenhower Expressways/Tollways from MKE to Oak Park than you would on a flight from KC to CHI...

Old 02-20-2016, 11:10 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Snowfall most years pales in comparison to the upper Midwest/Eastern Great Lakes,/Nor'easters, but can still be rather cumbersome. Not unheard of to be under a foot of snow followed by highs in the 50's within a week. Varies GREATLY by year...

No rush hour....? Compared to most large metros this is true. Our highway system (for the most part) was well planned and is often TOO efficient for it's own good. I'm sure downtown commuters from Olathe, Blue Springs, and Independence would disagree, though LOL. Crossing the south side of the metro between Johnson County, KS, and Lee's Summit during either rush, however, is about as bad as anyplace you can imagine not named LA or Atlanta. MODOT spent nearly a half billion on the Triangle for a reason...

Yes, Those cicadas can get loud as HELL! But they generally don't bother people or bite from my experience

While driving to CHI can be a doozy, you bring up a GREAT point with flights there being quick, cheap, and easy. From boarding to walking off the plane, you MIGHT spend 90 min. You can EASILY spend more time in traffic on the Tri-State/Edens/Kennedy/Eisenhower Expressways/Tollways from MKE to Oak Park than you would on a flight from KC to CHI...
Amtrak Hiawatha has seven daily trips between Milwaukee and Chicago...not a bad alternative to driving, if one is inclined. The cost is approximately $45 round-trip, so that's cheaper than a flight. Or, you can drive to the northern suburbs and be there within an hour, or less, depending where you live.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:59 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
I just noticed all these responses are from a post from 2013. How silly of us. This person had one post, and has either moved already, or never really cared, in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City