Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, I don't think people outside the US associate the diner with NJ. They just think of them as American. If anything, I associate diners more with small town USA, some small town in the Midwest or South, with some big-haired lady that always calls you 'love' or 'honey', sometimes sardonically. In Hollywood movies they're often portrayed as rather lonely, depressing places actually.
That's not what I'm saying. I mentioned diners being classic NJ while mentioning a Bon Jovi song about NJ, it wasn't my main point. Anyway, whether people know it internationally or not, it's still a fact that diners are synonymous with New Jersey and our culture as a state. Not everyone has to know it - that's kind of been my point all along, it's hard to judge topics like that of this thread because not everyone has the same tastes, especially when it comes to cultural things. Culture often most easily identifies things like neighborhoods and food and not everyone loves the Beach Boys while not everyone loves Bruce Springsteen. It's hard to say which - NY or LA areas - are more well known, nationally or internationally. It depends on the individual person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's not what I'm saying. I mentioned diners being classic NJ while mentioning a Bon Jovi song about NJ, it wasn't my main point. Anyway, whether people know it internationally or not, it's still a fact that diners are synonymous with New Jersey and our culture as a state. Not everyone has to know it - that's kind of been my point all along, it's hard to judge topics like that of this thread because not everyone has the same tastes, especially when it comes to cultural things. Culture often most easily identifies things like neighborhoods and food and not everyone loves the Beach Boys while not everyone loves Bruce Springsteen. It's hard to say which - NY or LA areas - are more well known, nationally or internationally. It depends on the individual person.
Well NY's most famous areas tend to be in Manhattan. While the names of the other boroughs are certainly famous, it just seems most people outside the US or even other parts of the US would draw a blank when talking about specific nabes within them. I only know about Prospect Park in Brooklyn because I stayed there for some time (I like Brooklyn btw, it has a lot of character, I will say probably more than most of SoCal) but long before I visited all those places in LA I knew about them. But yeah, a hip hop fan might be more familiar with nabes in the Bronx or Brooklyn...within the Bronx, outside the zoo and Yankee stadium I doubt many could pinpoint exact neighbourhoods. I went to Coney Island (which I'd heard of) which is one of the areas that is well known. On Long Island, the Hamptons, maybe Levittown, are well known, but the area seems more locally known. I guess every inch of it hasn't been captured on celluloid like much of LA.

Bon Jovi hardly sings about NJ. It seems that almost every one of the Beach Boys early songs was about the California lifestyle in some way, whether hot rodding, surfing, laying on the beach, hamburger stands lol...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Well NY's most famous areas tend to be in Manhattan. While the names of the other boroughs are certainly famous, it just seems most people outside the US or even other parts of the US would draw a blank when talking about specific nabes within them. I only know about Prospect Park in Brooklyn because I stayed there for some time (I like Brooklyn btw, it has a lot of character, I will say probably more than most of SoCal) but long before I visited all those places in LA I knew about them. But yeah, a hip hop fan might be more familiar with nabes in the Bronx or Brooklyn...within the Bronx, outside the zoo and Yankee stadium I doubt many could pinpoint exact neighbourhoods. I went to Coney Island (which I'd heard of) which is one of the areas that is well known. On Long Island, the Hamptons, maybe Levittown, are well known, but the area seems more locally known. I guess every inch of it hasn't been captured on celluloid like much of LA.

Bon Jovi hardly sings about NJ. It seems that almost every one of the Beach Boys early songs was about the California lifestyle in some way, whether hot rodding, surfing, laying on the beach, hamburger stands lol...
I think most landmarks/monuments are in Manhattan but the outer boroughs have well known areas, especially Brooklyn. I'm not going to go through any of them again as they've ben mentioned already. But the Bronx is synonymous with the Yankees, which is a big deal. Now, with the Barclays Center and the Nets' move from NJ to Brooklyn, for sports Brooklyn is back on the radar. I'd say the least known borough is Staten Island, but I'd also say most people would know Staten Island if they heard its name, they just wouldn't know much about it.

Bon Jovi, less, Bruce Springsteen a lot more.

Honestly, and this isn't a bad thing, I think you just really know the LA area well. I don't think everyone thinks it's necessarily all as famous as you do. I know few LA/CA neighborhood or suburb names, honestly - and I actually have close friends and family that live in or are from SoCal.

I'd heard of Laguna Beach, Disneyland (but didn't know it was in Anaheim until pretty recently), Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Long Beach, Newport Beach, Orange County as a whole (I've only learn a bit more about it recently since a close friend is from there), Bel-Air, Santa Monica. Those are off the top of my head.

I can mention NYC neighborhoods and suburbs, but I'm biased because I live here. Even so, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Bed-Stuy, Coney Island, the Rockaways, broadly the South Bronx, Flushing Meadows, Greenwich Village, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, Battery Park City, Harlem, Washington Heights, the Upper East and West Sides, the Hamptons, Greenwich CT, Newark, Hoboken, South Beach, Port Richmond, the North Shore, Todt Hill, Grymes Hill, Astoria, Long Island City, Yonkers. Off the top of my head for my area. Again, I'm biased. But I'd bet about half of these are well known.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 12-03-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
In winter off SoCal it's more like in the 60s, actually. Water temps barely change year round. I think it's warmest sometime in autumn.
Southern Cal from San Luis Obispo southward has beach culture year round. Winter is counted in days, not weeks or months. A few days here and there, but locals will enjoy the beaches year round. Autumn is the warmest time of year..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think most landmarks/monuments are in Manhattan but the outer boroughs have well known areas, especially Brooklyn. I'm not going to go through any of them again as they've ben mentioned already. But the Bronx is synonymous with the Yankees, which is a big deal. Now, with the Barclays Center and the Nets' move from NJ to Brooklyn, for sports Brooklyn is back on the radar. I'd say the least known borough is Staten Island, but I'd also say most people would know Staten Island if they heard its name, they just wouldn't know much about it.

Bon Jovi, less, Bruce Springsteen a lot more.

Honestly, and this isn't a bad thing, I think you just really know the LA area well. I don't think everyone thinks it's necessarily all as famous as you do. I know few LA/CA neighborhood or suburb names, honestly - and I actually have close friends and family that live in or are from SoCal.

I'd heard of Laguna Beach, Disneyland (but didn't know it was in Anaheim until pretty recently), Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Long Beach, Newport Beach, Orange County as a whole (I've only learn a bit more about it recently since a close friend is from there), Bel-Air, Santa Monica. Those are off the top of my head.
I guess sometimes what is famous within one country isn't so much to outsiders. For instance, in France Marseille is more important than Cannes, yet foreigners know Cannes more than Marseille.

Hmmm, I'd say most of my fascination with urban America has focused on both the LA and NY area, but then again in NY I focus more on Manhattan. But in terms of what I pick up casually, I just seem to hear more about areas outside downtown LA and the LA city limits. It just seems to me that outside areas of the city limits as well as LA County and areas further afield are more mentioned on TV and movies. But NY would be second. Either way, in name recognition these two cities absolutely dwarf all others. You might find this surprisingly, but few people know of the 'Loop' in Chicago, or Center City or the North End outside America. How often do they hear it in movies? Unfortunately, for those who have never and may never set foot on American soil, most of what they know is from movies.

Btw this is one of the best songs that sort of captures NY/Manhattan while mentioning a lot of names too:

Tony Bennett Manhattan - YouTube

Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
NYC is a greater city as a city, don't deny it. I prefer it to LA as a city. I'm talking about the metro region. But at least you have a more balanced, view. I just think Manhattan sort of sucks everything in, whereas in LA fame is more distributed.
Quote:

I have to disagree to an extent. Manhattan doesn't suck up everything. People are just too lazy to explore outside of the traditional places/things they've seen (or heard about growing up, which will change for this generation). One of the biggest sports teams in history, The Yankees, isn't based in Manhattan. A genre of Music that's global wasn't created in Manhattan. The most diverse county in America isn't New York (Manhattan) county, Manhattan isn't even the second, It's Queens then Brooklyn and they change places often. Oh yeah, one of the quintessential things about New York are Brownstones, right? Well Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill etc has the most in the city. I could go on but some of you really should stop thinking about the skyline for a second and look at other factors (though I love our skyline we offer a lot more than just recognizable buildings).

Speaking of Brooklyn I will say this, what Manhattan was to the world in the 1900's, Brooklyn will be that (or the closest thing to it) of the 2000's. All the signs point to this. Many people think Manhattan (so in turn say New York) is dead but in actuality things aren't dead, they just shifted across the East River. I'm talking about everything from Media, technology, culture/performing arts, advertising, etc. Everyone wants their name attached to the borough. Keep your Fortune 500 companies, I can't ever see Brooklyn being THAT corporate but we will have one or two Fortune 500 companies in the future.

The neighborhoods in Brooklyn may not be as known as Malibu or Laguna Beach, but there is nothing as global as the Brooklyn brand at the moment, which I prefer over neighborhoods (even though people outside of America is starting to recognize some neighborhoods; see below). I'm not talking nationally either, the world is watching. It's starting with the borough name and then eventually people will recognize the neighborhoods later on. Here's an article from the NYtimes talking about the brand of Brooklyn, I'll post some quotes.

Brooklyn: The Brand

Quote:
And the phenomenon hardly stops there. Brooklyn is “the center of cool for Swedes right now,” according to a recent blog post, which reported on young Nordics’ obsession with anything Brooklyn-branded — cycling caps, beer, indie rock ‘n’ roll, you name it. In fact, the 25-year-old Brooklyn Brewery plans to open its first international outpost overlooking the Stockholm harbor this year.
Quote:
Paris, meanwhile, has kept up its capacity to inspire incredulity, this time by embracing anything that can be plausibly labeled “très Brooklyn,” particularly food trucks. There is a Brooklyn Diner in Dubai, a Brooklyn Restaurant in Malaysia, and Gorky Park in Moscow features a trendy snack kiosk with the word “Williamsburg” emblazoned across its top in the Latin, and not the Cyrillic, alphabet.
Brooklyn presence overseas. . . .

Brooklyn We Go Hard - Parisian Fashion Label

I found this nice link as well for The World 10 Most Brooklynish restaurants and Bars. Including from places like Slovenia, Tokyo, AUSTRALIA, Moscow and Paris. . . Take a look.

Hipster Assimilation: The World’s 10 Most Brooklynish Restaurants and Bars -- Grub Street New York

So who exactly is walking around London and Sweden with Hawthorne shirts again?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
I just couldn't stop laughing at the original post. It's just too funny!

Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
If you listen to Biggie Smalls you know about Bed-Stuy
That is the only reason I know about Bed-Stuy (that and being a huge city nerd). Sorry that doesn't make a place famous.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
Quote:
Think of all the movies that come out these days. How many of them are set in LA or NY? After that it's SF, DC, Boston...how many films have you seen set in Indianapolis? The fact they were the ANAHEIM Mighty Ducks (a real team too of course) stuck in my mind.
The Movie the Mighty ducks was not set in Anaheim, it was set in Minneapolis. The NHL team was named after the team in the movie

Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That is the only reason I know about Bed-Stuy (that and being a huge city nerd). Sorry that doesn't make a place famous.

If a person is into Hip hop in general, then they will know Bed-Stuy a lot of famous rappers are from there. Also Everybody hates Chris was set there also.

but the average person around the world wouldn't know half of these neighbours in NYC or LA. I think Americans tend to overestimate how famous places in the US are to the rest of the world.

For the record, as a non-American I knew all NYC neighbourhood that were listed than the LA ones that (newport beach? yuma beach? never heard of them until this thread). However I know New York very well since most of my family lives there and have been going there since I was a fetus, so I know those neighbourhoods and been to most of them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City