Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know. I really think that's so useless and that it's just a p*ssing contest/move to show the world that they have the tallest building… I genuinely think so. I'm not slightly jealous or feeling inferior, I really think it's unnecessary. I mean, who needs a building that high? God forbid in the event of a fire or attack, how are those people getting down? If they couldn't get out of the twin towers safely, they're never getting out of buildings that high. Congrats to Dubai, because architecturally obviously it's amazing, but it's still dumb IMO.

1 WTC's height is symbolic… 1776 ft and it was built with safety in mind. Dubai can have that building, I'll take ours - any of America's - any day. We have safety in mind.
Haha true, that's what it seems like, like they're trying too hard. Biggest mall, tallest building, biggest man-made this or that...however aesthetically I do like the building, but yeah how are they gonna fill it? Plus it's built on the backs of poor migrant labourers who earn peanuts. No unions in the UAE, especially if you're a foreigner on a visa of some kind.

But yeah, NYC's buildings are more symbolic and have more history of course. My favourite is the ESB and Chrysler, but the Freedom tower is ok. Going back to LA again I actually think their skyline isn't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 PM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
The Statue of Liberty....let's exclude that because it's not designed by New Yorkers.
So what? Do you really think people give a crap and not associate it New York?

Following your logic why don't we exclude the Hollywood Sign as well then? Since it was designed by a guy from London.

Btw, to the OP, please learn to multi-quote.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
So what? Do you really think people give a crap and not associate it New York?

Following your logic why don't we exclude the Hollywood Sign as well then? Since it was designed by a guy from London.

PS: To the OP, please learn to multi-quote.
The post was tongue in cheek since a poster was excluding the Hollywood Sign for silly reasons.

My point exactly.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times
When you visited the U.S., what did you do in NYC and L.A. and how long did you spend in them?

Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The point on the doors is they got their artistic beginnings elsewhere, both Jim and Ray and aren't originally from there...
The Doors were sure as hell were never a "Florida band" as you claimed though... You made a mistake, so just admit it.

You can look at the list of famous bands and musicians associated with any city, whether it's New York or Los Angeles or Detroit or Chicago or Memphis or Seattle or so on, and find many of them weren't originally born in the city. However, it means little if most if not all of their founding and entire notable musical career was in one city. Jim Morrison never was a singer until he was in LA, Ray Manzarek wasn't a rock organist until he's in LA, the band The Doors doesn't exist until they all meet in Venice Beach. It's like claiming the Velvet Underground shouldn't be associated with New York because John Cale was born in Wales...

Last edited by Deezus; 12-04-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
When you visited the U.S., what did you do in NYC and L.A. and how long did you spend in them?
In LA I was there for a total of about 6 days (on the way there and back) with my friend and my mum. Some of what we saw/did:

We stayed on Hollywood Blvd, so it was on our doorstep. Checked out the strip, Grauman's Chinese with all the hand and footoprints, Egyptian, Capitan, Walk of the Stars, tacky souvenir shops, posing with actors in costumes, nearly getting mugged early in the morning, seeing the cathedral/church were Sister Act was filmed.

Went on a star tour that went to Beverly Hills but also went along the Sunset Strip, saw all the famous spots like Whiskey'a'go'go, Chateau Marmont, Beverly Hills Hotel, the place Elvis liked to eat, comedy club, Viper Room.etc. Saw the Hollywood Bowl, drove across Mulholland Drive to get a view of the Hollywood hills and the sign. One night we went to the Viper Room to check out some live music.

Took the bus down to Santa Monica, strolled down to pier, checked it out after dark and had Philly cheese steak at a restaurant. Walked down to Venice beach after dark and saw lots of homeless folks on the beer, stopped by a bar and had some Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Took the metro into downtown at night (was walking around there at 10pm at night when no one was around!).

Other trips downtown, walking around, went to the LA library, the financial district, went to Little Tokyo and had excellent Japanese, mochi ice cream, Japanese American Museum, Chinatown...the cultural highlight of the Olvera Street Plaza area, Avila Adobe (oldest house in LA), colourful Mexican stalls.

Went to Little Armenia, Thai Town and Koreatown, had some food there.

Went to Union Station and took the Amtrak to Anaheim. Went to Disneyland, which was magical, a childhood dream come true lmao.

Took the metro to Long Beach, just explored the area, watched a movie.etc. Saw South Central etc from the train.

On the last night took a taxi to Griffith Park Observatory, saw a show in the planetarium.

Afterwards it was on to San Diego via Orange County.

IN NEW YORK:

Stayed at the Gershwin hotel on 27th street for awhile, and Best Western Prospect Park in Brooklyn, all up like 9-10 days. I'll just list the attractions we saw, aside from walking around the streets of NYC:

Empire State Building
Top of the Rock (went to the top)
Chrysler Building (saw interior)
Grand Central Station
Penn Station and PAT station
Stephen Sondheim Show to see a musical
Times Square inc Toys'r'us store
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum of Art including a 'Hebrew National Hot Dog'
A slice of NY pizza
Guggenheim Museum
Harlem
Ground Zero
Battery Park
Coney Island, including a 'freak show' where a midget lady stuffed a giant balloon inside her throat lol. Seeing interesting architecture from the subway. Taking the subway a lot and seeing rats on said subway.
Statten Island Ferry, seeing the Statue of Liberty
Walking round Statten Island
Prospect Park, went to a cemetery there and had Mexican and Peruvian food
Chilling out in 'Tudor City' while looking at the UN Complex
Walking round Chinatown in the evening
Walking through Greenwich Village, Soho, Chelsea, Lower East Side to Katz's deli
Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge at night-time
Driving through Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx (to/from Boston and to the airport)
Was also there when the 2011 Pride Parade was on so saw some of that.

Tons more in both cities I wanna check out.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:03 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
You went to Los Angeles and the only food worth noting in your post was a Philly cheesesteak?

Why didn't you go to the Getty Museum?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well LA Noire is a common name for film noir set in LA. LA and Paris, not London or NY, were the centres of both noir film and literature. People think of LA as a sunny, car-dominated city, so I find it interesting it was portrayed as an urban, compact city of the night, since it's as far away as Paris as you can get.
Most noirs are set in LA and SF.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You went to Los Angeles and the only food worth noting in your post was a Philly cheesesteak?

Why didn't you go to the Getty Museum?
Yeah I failed to mention all the great cheap Mexican I had.

Time constraints and the fact I was going to the Met. I also planned to visit Universal Studios and the Paramount Lot, maybe Malibu, but didn't have time.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
LA invented the French Dip sandwich...
And the cheese burger.

Anyone who thinks Bed Stuy is famous worldwide is delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City